Sign in to follow this  
Tetsugaku-San

Which Universe is best suited to a re skin of the Armada rules?

I think an EVE online miniatures game would be perfect.

• 4 races
  • frigates (3 per stand)
  • Cruisers (1 per stand)
  • Then battlecruisers up to titans as capital ships.
  • Easily enough named upgrade modules to purchase as cards, plus 'celebrities' in game that could be purchased as titled cards/ships
  • Tie-in with the online MMORPG whereas you can run competitions in both formats for representation in the other

Very in-depth lore and storyline, enough ships for a dozen waves at least before breaking canon, plus navy factions and 'mixed' corporate or pirate factions.

There are also opportunities for expanding it to a frigate/cruiser dogfighting game like X-wing, and also for a skirmish style or 'epic' style game for land warfare.

It is always seemed strange to me that no-one has made a miniatures game for EVE online yet.

I think an EVE online miniatures game would be perfect.

• 4 races
  • frigates (3 per stand)
  • Cruisers (1 per stand)
  • Then battlecruisers up to titans as capital ships.
  • Easily enough named upgrade modules to purchase as cards, plus 'celebrities' in game that could be purchased as titled cards/ships
  • Tie-in with the online MMORPG whereas you can run competitions in both formats for representation in the other

Very in-depth lore and storyline, enough ships for a dozen waves at least before breaking canon, plus navy factions and 'mixed' corporate or pirate factions.

There are also opportunities for expanding it to a frigate/cruiser dogfighting game like X-wing, and also for a skirmish style or 'epic' style game for land warfare.

It is always seemed strange to me that no-one has made a miniatures game for EVE online yet.

In big point games with lots of ships would all the players be limited to rolling only one die per minute or so?  ;-)

But seriously, EVE Online would be a great miniatures game.  I especially like the part about not having to break canon for a good long while.  Plus, those big EVE ships would look amazing on the table.

B5... Hell yes!

Stargate... I'm in.

BFG, only if FFG buys up the IP from the bankruptcy of GW!

BSG, could be fun if they use the expanded universe stuff.

And now to date myself,

Exo Squad, Colony Wars & Wing Commander.

FFG B5 minis would be sweet:  Starter set : Narn / Centauri War!  Contents : a G'Quan, a Primus, and a mess of fighters.  Boosters to introduce EA Omega, Hyperion, & Furies.  Maybe -- eventually -- a Minbarri cruiser. 

Then the Great First Ones debate could begin: instead of Tarkining a thread, we could Shadow it  <_<

I'm happy with the StarWars setting. That said, alternative universes I like and would work well with the game are:

The Mass Effect Universe

The Stargate Universe (small issue with the humans only having like 2 different ships though)

The Babylon 5 Universe

The Warhammer 40k Universe

And I'd also love to see a Doctor Who adaptation, even though that is hard since they show so many races but relatively few ships.

Edited by Lord Tareq

Babylon 5 is by far my favorite (I like it even more than Star Wars - some say I'm crazy!). You have to be able to look past the early 90s CGI... But I don't think it has much mass appeal anymore outside of hardcore sci-fi fans. I doubt someone who never played a tabletop game would walk into a Barnes and Noble and buy a B5 starter set. I really like the idea of Colony Wars and Wing Commander, but again, it will never happen. I feel like BFG has the best chance, since FFG already works with GW licensing. I'm just hoping someone will make fan-made cards for B5 so I can bring my zillions of AOG and Mongoose miniatures out of mothballs!