Sign in to follow this  
Tetsugaku-San

Which Universe is best suited to a re skin of the Armada rules?

The only acceptable answer here is Gothic.

Everyone else is a heretic who must be purged. It is good we have this thread to identify them and their blasphemy.

Armada has the same problem I think Gothic has. That there is not much of a boarding mechanic. IMHO BFG should be half boarding, after all that is the whole idea of space marines jumping from their battle barges and orks loading up in a boarding torpedo smashing through the hull and fighting everyone by getting stuck in there. Heck the climatic end the Horus Heresey is the Emperor challenging Horus on the bridge of the battle barge.

Then the mechanic is built in - I would;t want an unchanged copy of Armada, after all we already have Armada for that!

Babylon 5 or Battle Fleet Gothic both certainly have potential for a cool Armada re-skin. Though I suspect that both would be subject to various license concerns. I'm not sure who holds the rights to B5 now but we all know who owns BFG - and I don't see 'em sharing (even if they have canned the game). Too bad as I think it was one of GW's better games.

My B-5 Wars models are still on display in my workshop (collecting dust sadly). However, I still keep BFG in rotation on the gaming schedule - was and still is a great fleet scale game. Reminds me I need to finish the Mechanicus cruisers on the workbench.

but GW do constantly licence their IP out and the biggest success with that licence is FFG - there re's no reason why they would;t do this as a joint venture at all.

but GW do constantly licence their IP out and the biggest success with that licence is FFG - there re's no reason why they would;t do this as a joint venture at all.

GW license their IP to FFG to do board (and card) games. They are very specific that no one else is allowed to produce miniature games in their universes.

GW license their IP to FFG to do board (and card) games. They are very specific that no one else is allowed to produce miniature games in their universes.

Unless you have something concrete to back that up it's just internet rumours and hearsay. Forbidden Stars contains a load of stuff that looks exactly like miniatures and in case you didn;t see the whole age of sigmar thing, GW seem to have turned over quite a new leaf :)

I'm just gonna toss this one out there. Firefly/Serenity?

I know it's not exactly in keeping with the show and movie having large scale fleet battles as a norm but I would love to see some Alliance - Reaver shenanigans. Perhaps some more themed games where a certain smuggler ship perhaps, ooo.... I don't know maybe a Firefly-Class has to give the Alliance the slip or is being chased by Reavers.

Plus, there's this:

BSG - Awesome but limited in military ships from an initial perspective.

Babylon 5 - Yes

Halo - Double Yes

Ender's game might be cool but also a limited ship set on the Formic side. I'm all for everyone's love for the 40K universe but if I want to play with BFG style ships... I'm gonna just play BFG.

Red Dwarf... No wait!

Macross

mcr082.jpg

Nice! We could have the Red Dwarf vs. the..... :)

As for Macross/Robotech - aren't we already halfway there? As pointed out by another: the nagging sensation that the Assault Frigate MkII looked vaguely familiar bugged me until it's similarity to a Zentraede cruiser twigged!

With regards to B5, I believe Mongoose dropped the license due to WB demanding an increasingly unrealistic license fee despite the fact that longer and longer had passed without new material, and as such interest in the universe was waning.

That said, I believe JMS is planning a B5 reboot at some point in the future, at which point the license will be fresh again. Whilst I would certainly be happy with Mongoose picking up the license once more, I'd be equally happy to see what FFG could do with it :)

I would say that the best re-skin for Armada is the same Star Wars Universe but the Clone Wars era. I know its not very popular, but it fits much more than the Civil War era for epic battles. You had several destroyers together in a battle, fighters were more disposable.

A Dogfighting game like X-Wing works much better in the Civil War since there were more hero pilots and the battles were much smaller. But a huge fleet vs fleet game? Clone Wars is the best way to go.

I'm just gonna toss this one out there. Firefly/Serenity?

I know it's not exactly in keeping with the show and movie having large scale fleet battles as a norm but I would love to see some Alliance - Reaver shenanigans. Perhaps some more themed games where a certain smuggler ship perhaps, ooo.... I don't know maybe a Firefly-Class has to give the Alliance the slip or is being chased by Reavers.

Plus, there's this:

BSG - Awesome but limited in military ships from an initial perspective.

Babylon 5 - Yes

Halo - Double Yes

Ender's game might be cool but also a limited ship set on the Formic side. I'm all for everyone's love for the 40K universe but if I want to play with BFG style ships... I'm gonna just play BFG.

Maybe instead of Reaver and Alliance battles a game set during the Unification War? The Independents used armed Firefly class ships so they could appear as well.

Maybe instead of Reaver and Alliance battles a game set during the Unification War? The Independents used armed Firefly class ships so they could appear as well.

Wow, didn't even think of that. Bring in the Browncoats. That would be cool. The only thing that gives me pause is that other than the series and the film I have no other knowledge of the universe. Even a contemporary take would have lots of holes. Now I'm playing devils advocate to myself but we'd need to be diligent in our decisions here. If we could just get Joss Whedon on board...

This has also made me wonder... Are there any Firefly/Serenity Video Games? Maybe an RPG in the Mass Effect style would be most appropriate.

Edited by Crawfskeezen

I would say that the best re-skin for Armada is the same Star Wars Universe but the Clone Wars era. I know its not very popular, but it fits much more than the Civil War era for epic battles. You had several destroyers together in a battle, fighters were more disposable.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. It would be fitting. I know everyone seems to hate on the prequels - obviously the OT is the be all - but the prequels have certain merit, specifically on the military side. Tonnes of ships, fighter craft and material to work with. I'd buy into it for sure. A Venator, an Acclamator and some Arquitens/Pelta/Consular Light-Cruisers/Frigates against a Providence-Class cruiser and some Munificant-Class frigates would be cool. Add a Lucrehulk-Class battleship and boom, you have viable forces on both sides.

Edit: Sorry for the double-post.

Edited by Crawfskeezen

Reading through this I think that the Babylon 5 and Battlstar Galactica sound like the best options to me. I do not know about licensing and all that. But B5 has lots of factions and ships even more if you go with what AOG released and JMS has said that they are cannon. With BSG I hope if they did it that you could have the ships form both new and old series.  

41JD-oivxfL.jpg

I wonder if they make model kits in a mall enough scale, that way we'd only need to homebrew some rules/stats...

I would love to see SDF-1 Macross stuff (not to mention even Macross 2 or Macross Plus) but it might have to be like 1/10th the scale of Armada to really do the universe justice? 

Wow, didn't even think of that. Bring in the Browncoats. That would be cool. The only thing that gives me pause is that other than the series and the film I have no other knowledge of the universe. Even a contemporary take would have lots of holes. Now I'm playing devils advocate to myself but we'd need to be diligent in our decisions here. If we could just get Joss Whedon on board...

This has also made me wonder... Are there any Firefly/Serenity Video Games? Maybe an RPG in the Mass Effect style would be most appropriate.

Well they are working on a mobile online game with the original cast doing voice work for it but other then that all I know of are the Pen and Paper RPGs and the boardgames.

Edited by RogueCorona

Things go all Heroclix and suddenly Pegasus and Galactica jump in just as time Warlord and Dominator square off against ISK Kronos I and a wing of Star Furies. The Bentuttsi have already abandoned the battle, but then... In comes the Yamato..

Has no one mentioned Battlestar Galactica? I am ashamed in all of you, consitering how easy an adaptation it would be!

Maybe not Stargate, and bfg is best for its own system.

I see home world was mentioned, so now I throw in Sins of a Solar Empire.

3 races, 4 different weapons per race, each with different ranges/damages, and firing arcs for ships.

All you need to do now is transfer ship abilities/antimatter to a battle card/action card format, and make it exciting/ less of a stationary slugfest.

There's not enough meat there for FFG. Plus, the show is past its prime unless there's a new series or movie in the works. While I'm not a fan of Warhammer 40k/Battlefleet Gothic (which is more of a hatred for GW's business practices), that universe offers the highest probability for some sort of similar game considering the licence. There's so many different ships there that FFG would have years of easy ideas before having to scrap the bottom of the barrel.

Yes very true, now if this just was not under GW license that would even be better. Does anyone really see FFG and GW come together in any way to do this? I don't!

Okay they have some 40k stuff, like Conquest which is great. But that's not a miniature game where both companies have their main rivaley going on...

Edited by ForceM

Has no one mentioned Battlestar Galactica? I am ashamed in all of you, consitering how easy an adaptation it would be!

Maybe not Stargate, and bfg is best for its own system.

I see home world was mentioned, so now I throw in Sins of a Solar Empire.

3 races, 4 different weapons per race, each with different ranges/damages, and firing arcs for ships.

All you need to do now is transfer ship abilities/antimatter to a battle card/action card format, and make it exciting/ less of a stationary slugfest.

There's not enough meat there for FFG. Plus, the show is past its prime unless there's a new series or movie in the works. While I'm not a fan of Warhammer 40k/Battlefleet Gothic (which is more of a hatred for GW's business practices), that universe offers the highest probability for some sort of similar game considering the licence. There's so many different ships there that FFG would have years of easy ideas before having to scrap the bottom of the barrel.

Yes very true, now if this just was not under GW license that would even be better. Does anyone really see FFG and GW come together in any way to do this? I don't!
But they are already more closely aligned than almost any other pair of companies in the industry - why wouldn't they?

FFG are pretty much GW's third arm and whatever the internet likes to gossip about regarding GW, there a pretty goodcompany with great IP that's always looking to sell more to more people.

FFG and GW doing a reskin of armada within a 40k setting is an absolute shoe in and unlike the majority of other suggestions here has enormous traction in the community. What's really stopping it?

Edited by Tetsugaku-San