Sign in to follow this  
Tetsugaku-San

Which Universe is best suited to a re skin of the Armada rules?

Has no one mentioned Battlestar Galactica? I am ashamed in all of you, consitering how easy an adaptation it would be!

Maybe not Stargate, and bfg is best for its own system.

I see home world was mentioned, so now I throw in Sins of a Solar Empire.

3 races, 4 different weapons per race, each with different ranges/damages, and firing arcs for ships.

All you need to do now is transfer ship abilities/antimatter to a battle card/action card format, and make it exciting/ less of a stationary slugfest.

There's not enough meat there for FFG. Plus, the show is past its prime unless there's a new series or movie in the works. While I'm not a fan of Warhammer 40k/Battlefleet Gothic (which is more of a hatred for GW's business practices), that universe offers the highest probability for some sort of similar game considering the licence. There's so many different ships there that FFG would have years of easy ideas before having to scrap the bottom of the barrel.

Has no one mentioned Battlestar Galactica? I am ashamed in all of you, consitering how easy an adaptation it would be!

Maybe not Stargate, and bfg is best for its own system.

I see home world was mentioned, so now I throw in Sins of a Solar Empire.

3 races, 4 different weapons per race, each with different ranges/damages, and firing arcs for ships.

All you need to do now is transfer ship abilities/antimatter to a battle card/action card format, and make it exciting/ less of a stationary slugfest.

I've discussed this before. The Big issue with doing a BSG fleet combat game is that the show itself only has a few capital ship models shown on screen. You would have to basically build everything smaller then a large base ship from scratch unless they use the online only ships. Now if thy ever do another series or miniseries focusing on the first war that would open the door wide

I'd love to see a B5 ship combat game. I own the Babylon Wars books but that game was waaaay too complicated for a quick skirmish.

Also, the Battlefeet Gothic: Armada computer game is on the way! I'm not getting my hopes up, but at least it's not being developed by Cyanide...

The topic of reskinning has been discussed before and BSG was mentioned many times. However, many people (myself included) agreed that there just isn't enough diversity of ships to make a decent list-building type game.

Also, I think with any reskin, it needs to be more than just sticking in different models - there needs to be something different in the game that not only sets it apart from Star Wars, but is also thematic to the Universe of the game.

I think the only way to do BSG with Armada is make it more of a board game and less a wargame. Clearly there isn't enough cannon material for multiple waves (only thoughts would be original war and new war releases). This would be a one and done release or possibly release new scenarios.

But I'd be on that like white on rice. LOVED Battlestar!

I would have +1'ed Babylon 5 but then I remembered that almost almost all of B5's iconic cap ships are centred around foward firepower:
- the EA Omega
- the Minbari Sharlin
- the Narn G'Quan
- the Shadow Battlecrab
- the Vorlon Dreadnough
- the White Stars
Notable exception is the Centrauri Primus (which appears to have rotating gun emplacements) ... and a game about cap ships jousting is kinda dull, even if the we pull some varying stats

More fiting I would assume just from the overall design (and because of be deep-rooted love for the 2nd installment of Series) would be the FreeSpace Universe - just because you can move through the eras (late T-V War, Great War, GTVA-NTF War, 2nd Shivan War) with little retooling of many ships and hardly a design change (many Great War-era ships are still in service during the 2nd Shivan war but have been upgraded with new weapon systems):
- Terran ships have strong broadsides of their chosen weaponary (even the Fernis/Leviathan-line)
- Vasudan ships favour ventral firepower (not sure how to make that work but that's who they do it)
- Shivans ships go all-in on front weaponary (notable exceptions are the SCv Moloch and the SD Demon)
Plus the universe has already three size classes (though those don't allign with the nautical root terminology)
- Cruisers would be your Small Ships, good swarmers but with rather poor durability
- Corvettes would be Medium, strong ship-to-ship combatants
- Destroyers of course would be Large, most of them are good to take on other warships but they are the main source of fighters

There are three problems however:
- cap ship speeds/maneuveribilties are funny and kinda all over the place in the FS universe
- FS-style beam weapons, esspeically AAA-beams, don't really allign with mechanics yet IMO (beams are usually long-range, high firepower weapons that don't miss - unless they are slash beams only used by the GTCv Deimos and the GVCv Sobek)

- The Shivans are a good "blank slate"-antagonist, of which there is next to nothing of canonical material to work with

As for iconic ships, I would like to invite you to take a look at the list of FS2-era ships at the wiki @ HardLight.net (link)

Bab 5. Definitely. I still have all my b5 wars stuff. It true that a bunch of ships don't have any rear facing guns, but the omega and sharlin do have some heavy guns in the rear. You don't see the minbar using them because no one can get around to the rear of a minbari firing line... Real space physics would be a must, otherwise the white stars would be almost useless hit squishes.

Star Trek without fighters, bag is too limited. 1 ship and 1 fight type for each side

I'd like to see B5 or BSG, certainly with some nice miniatures. 

I'd also like to see some Ian M Banks, Culture, fleet combat. I'm not sure how they'd make models of GSVs but it would certainly be fun. 

There's also scope for non-space based adventures, what about an sub-aquatic combat game, something like seaquest DSV with less hippy stuff and more killing?

Babylon 5, but only if they simulated the combat how it was portrayed in the show, i.e. being able to turn ships whilst they continue to move in another direction, interceptor guns, etc.

There are so many races and ships that the B5 Universe is perfect for a game setting like Armada. Plus there would be no issues with ship scale, unless you get into the realms of Planet Killers and Shadow Clouds...

The inertia of the big ships normally wasn't really portrayed and the movement of fighters is too small scale for Armada.

Re: Interceptor guns

The shield mechanic would have to change - no shields in B5. Instead I could see interceptors act as the defensive element for the ships, similar to how 'agility' dice work in X-Wing, canceling hits.

There could be two types of attacks, beams and pulse cannons. Interceptors would only work on pulse weapons.

I'd love to see a couple Primus battlecruisers on my table, bearing down on an Earth Alliance Omega-Class Destroyer. And as it crumbles, I will say (in an impeccable Londo Mollari accent) "It is time for the Centauri Republic to stretch forth our hand again and reclaim our rightful place as the Lion of the Stars."

Bab 5. Definitely. I still have all my b5 wars stuff. It true that a bunch of ships don't have any rear facing guns, but the omega and sharlin do have some heavy guns in the rear. You don't see the minbar using them because no one can get around to the rear of a minbari firing line... Real space physics would be a must, otherwise the white stars would be almost useless hit squishes.

Whitestars would probably need to be fighter-size single ships, similar to the Wave 2 fighter pack (forget what it's called, with Slave 1 and the Millennium Falcon). That way they could showcase their crazy maneuverability. They're also fairly small - little more in length than the width of an Omega's hanger exit (as seen in season 4/the intro to season 5, when one crashes into an Omega).

Edited by JimmyMethod

In B5 the shield mechanic would probably work pretty well to represent so e of the advanced races auto repair systems, although probably without arcs.

Might be interesting to swap the 2. Different hull values are assigned to the hull zones (with different rules for when a ship is destroyed and with disabled zones) while advanced races have a non-hull zone specific stat that damage degrades first and that is easier to repair to represent their high tech durability.

I think a 40K re-skin offers the best option in terms of depth and breadth of fleets and size of tabletop gaming fan-base.

Upgrade cards would be race specific rather than interchangeable - but that's the same for other FFG 40K games - Forbidden Stars, Conquest.

BFG offers a starting point too.

Not sure how GW would feel about it though.... might drag even more customers away from their outdated rule sets.

Not sure how GW would feel about it though.... might drag even more customers away from their outdated rule sets.

Don't try to frighten us with your corporate ways, GW. Your sad devotion to that ancient ruleset has not helped up conjure up an enjoyable games system, nor given you clairvoyance enough to keep the space combat gamers as your customers.

(Yes yes, I'm about to be force choked for that ;))

Edited by nekomatafuyu

Halo would be neat.

Spartan games have produced a space ship combat of Halo.

+1 Babylon 5. A lot of factions.

+1 Battlestar Galactica (They do have a lot of ships instead of what I have heard, and they have a lot of new invented ships old and new era)

+1 Star Trek. Without fighters.

+1 Buck Rogers. I know, just the draconian and the earth protectorate, models just for two waves of ships...

Twilight Universe was a good one mentioned before. Would also boost and give potential to even grow the boardgame variant, and FFG would be free to come up with whatever they like (no canon to "obey").

I can also envision a Starcraft Fleet game :-)

Halo would be neat.

Spartan games have produced a space ship combat of Halo.

+1 Babylon 5. A lot of factions.

+1 Battlestar Galactica (They do have a lot of ships instead of what I have heard, and they have a lot of new invented ships old and new era)

+1 Star Trek. Without fighters.

+1 Buck Rogers. I know, just the draconian and the earth protectorate, models just for two waves of ships...

Yea But I am not sure about with what i have heard of their previous space combat rulesets.

Cosmic Encounter: The Miniatures Game.

That would be crazy and fun as heck.

Great, so the Philanthropist gives you his fleet and the outcry when the Filch starts cheating: "But I only took one Assault Frigate from the warp."