Sign in to follow this  
boriss283

Questions about psyker.

Hello. I with my friends want to start playing Dark Heresy. And i want to play with psyker. Can you give me advice about this "class" and andswer on few my questions?

1. Can i cast psy power when i hold some thing in both of my hands ?

2. There is power "Summon Items". Can i summon Shotgun using this power ?

3. What minor psy powers can you advice me at start ? I have 44 Will Power.

4. I saw few topic where people  said that psyker is broken. Why is he broken ? Should i care about this at start ?

5. There is power "touch of madness" Is it good at all ? This is good when your enemy run away, but what can i do also with this power in fight ?

6. IS power "Spectral hands" good ? Can i take sword with my "spectral hands" And attack enemys with it ? If i can, then i will usemy  willpower as my strenght and weapon skill for attacks ?

1. Yes

2. What's the wording on it, doesn't it have a weight limit with it?

3. Weapon Jamming

4. He's very powerful, there are some powers that are essentially useless, and some that are way too powerful for what you have to roll to pull them off. Not really it's something your game master should be aware of.

5. Basically just terrify your enemies, which is good if you think you're outmatched.

6. I don't think you're allowed to attack people, it's kind of like mage hand if I remember.

about "Call Item" wording is "The object must be small and light enough to be carried in one hand.". So i even can summong, for example, 10 kg of explosives if i can hold it in my 1 hand ?

With weapon jamming i can "turn off" pistols, shotguns and so on ?

What powers can you advice also ? I like Unnatural aim, but is it that usefull as i think ? (And wording is any ranged attacks you make count as being made at Point Blank Range (+30 to hit).) So i can ignore any range ? 

As far as advice for minor powers, I'd argue Healer is one of the most potent. Considering how absurdly long healing can take, it's beneficial to really jumpstart the process. It can kick you from Heavily, or even critically wounded territory into lightly wounded, accelerating healing immensely.

For Call Item there is no weight limit, but keep it within reason. 10 kg of explosives seems excessive in my humble opinion, but could be workable. I would personally argue nothing bigger than a sword or otherwise a basic weapon could be summoned this way, but it depends on your own GM's ruling.

I'd check the errata on Weapon Jam, as the errata changed it from basically "How to instantly kill Tech Priests" to something a little more manageable. 

Chameleon is also extremely handy. Compensates for the Psyker's lacklustre (ok, just flat out bad) Agility, when trying to sneak around, and if you're feeling particularly cheesy, you can use it in gunfights to make yourself harder to hit.

-----

As for the commentary of Psyker's being OP, it's not exactly a secret that they're the most powerful career in the game, by a considerable clip. They have access to more advances than any other career, regardless of which path they take, and their powers afford them immense versatility. Plus, some powers are just outright broken, especially without house rulings (a prime example of this would be Seal Wounds, which can basically have a party literally dying on the ground, and bring them up to full strength in a matter of rounds). They also have

Edited by ColArana

I do not think psyker per se is broken in first edition. The very real risk of death, be it via daemonic manifestation, or the "shoot the psyker in the head" reaction many imperials have to warp phenomenon offsets it nicely. If your GM is more lenient there, though, it may be advisable to be a nice guy at the table and avoid something that seems all too gamebreaking. It pays to be a bro to your DM!

Regarding your specific questions, personally, a human being can carry quite a bit in one hand. The question is -how fast- they can move with it, which is where I would look at how much encumberance what you're trying to carry causes and if you can lift it at all with your character's strength score. As far as Fear is concerned, it is the single most powerful mechanic in the game. Having a power that causes it can be a game-changer. Last but not least, in old fluff, psykers were specifically trained in one or two disciplines, usually. I advise picking a concept first, then checking what disciplines make the most sense for them in terms of their personality, then selecting largely from that list. You'll get a decent character out of it, and no one will complain about "psyker OP", while in your specific field, you will still be god.

Looks like Weapon Jinx isn't that good as it was before. Now on early level i can jam only 1 weapon and in best situation 2 weapons. But now psykers can use Unnatural Aim in Point blank range. Something like +30 for Point blank range and +30 for spell. Can i use Weapon Jinx to jam melee weapon ? :DDD Is Distort Vision good ? Like i can cast it like free action and enemy take -30 on Attack rolls against me.

“Making a
Focus Power Action is the psychic equivalent of a Standard Attack
Action, and counts as such for purposes of determining what else
a psyker can do in a round. Therefore, a psyker who uses a Half
Action power cannot make another Half Action Standard Attack
on the same round. A Psyker may manifest only one ability per
Round with the exception of the Resist Possession power. A Psyker

is required to roll at least one die to manifest an ability.”

And This errata means a cant use more then 1 power per round and i cant use Unnatural aim and shoot at the same round ? Or i cant shoot and after this as free action use Distort Vision ?

Edited by boriss283

I'd say if you can hold it in one hand without penalty it'd be fine to summon. So no basic weapons.

I can hold a long rifle in 1 hand, but if I try to fire it it is going to be PIA for me to hit anything, but yes I would say you could summon it, great for that "fastdraw" Shotgun. but would take you an turn to be ready to fire it.

Looks like Weapon Jinx isn't that good as it was before. Now on early level i can jam only 1 weapon and in best situation 2 weapons. But now psykers can use Unnatural Aim in Point blank range. Something like +30 for Point blank range and +30 for spell. Can i use Weapon Jinx to jam melee weapon ? :DDD 

Using Unnatural Aim at point blank range is pointless, as unless you are firing a weapon on full-auto, you can only accumulate a maximum bonus of +30 to any given test.

And no. You cannot use Weapon Jinx to jam a melee weapon. Melee weapons cannot jam (though theoretically you might be able to use Haywire to mess with a power or Chain Weapon).

I think this is pretty weird that i can't use Unnatural Aim and shoot in the same round. May be there is some other rules about this ?

Isn't Unnatural Aim a half-action?

you can only accumulate a maximum bonus of +30 to any given test.

Ascension change this to +60/-60

I am assuming he is not playing Ascension though. 

If he is, then all I can say is: "Yes. The Psyker is absurdly game breaking and there are potential combos that would turn your Psyker into a one-man Exterminatus, among other things."

We will play using Dark heresy book and errata. 

I think this is pretty weird that i can't use Unnatural Aim and shoot in the same round. May be there is some other rules about this ?

Isn't Unnatural Aim a half-action? 

Yes, it is. But how can i see in Errata: "Making a Focus Power Action is the psychic equivalent of a Standard Attack Action, and counts as such for purposes of determining what else a psyker can do in a round. Therefore, a psyker who uses a Half Action power cannot make another Half Action Standard Attack on the same round.A Psyker may manifest only one ability per Round with the exception of the Resist Possession power. A Psyker is required to roll at least one die to manifest an ability."

Edited by boriss283

The errata made it so that you can only use a single power per round (meaning you cant use something like catch projectile if you already cast a power) and powers count as attacks. While in this case, it is somewhat odd, it is to prevent you getting a second attack per turn, as a fair number of offensive powers are only half actions, meaning you could hurl fire balls at someone, and then shoot them as well. IMO its an awkward attempt to prevent psykers from overloading on damage. it works fine to stop them from using 2 attacks, but it does hurt things such as catch projectile, Unnatural aim, and other non damage combat skills, as the use of them prevents the psyker from actually attacking (for example if you use catch projectile before on the turn, but before you actually go, you cannot attack that turn, or if you attack you cannot use catch projectile. Its a very awkward way of dealing with powers, and does hurt some powers.

As for if psykers are op. Unerrataed, Yes. very much so. The errata does a lot to bring them back down. They are still arguably the best class in dark heresy 1, but not broken like they were before the errata. There are 3 reasons, IMO, that make them very strong. First off, even if you remove the psychic part of them, their advances are really darn good, with very few weaknesses, and access to a huge variety of options. (I once had a group, where two players both played guardsmen, but one chose advances from the psyker scheme, excluding psyker abilities of course, and needless to say made a way stronger guardsman then the actual guard did). They have an insane number of advances they can take, as mentioned before, and most of them are very reasonably priced (although they are limited on SC). Second, is that the investment into powers is very cheep for what you get. You honestly do not need to spend that much xp to have a psyker be half decent at using powers, which leaves you with a heck of a lot of extra xp, to spend on your already very full advance tree. Psy ratings, are in my opinion, the single strongest advance in dark heresy one. Not only do they increase the amount of dice you get to use, always a nice thing, but they add a lot powers as well. for only 200 xp, you can get psy rating 4, which gives you +1 dice, and (at 40 WP) 400 points worth of powers, were you to buy them individually (even more if you have higher WP). Finally, the whole perils of the warp thing. I have a lot of issues with these charts, and have often resorted to using my own. IMO, these charts simply do not affect the game enough. Results that are actually bad, are pretty few and far between, and the rest are really meh, unless the GM finds a way of using them, which usually ends up feeling pretty sh*tty. Most of the time they do very little, or totally F everything up, which just frustrates the players. Also the fact that you have fate points means that you really are not going to be rolling that many 9's, unless you are spamming powers.

Also force weapons. Those put all other melee weapons to shame.

As for good minor powers, lucky, healer, flash bang and chameleon are all very good abilities.

As for SH. No, you could not. Its less of an actual "hand" and more of a focused push or pull. 

When i am casting power, there is some visual evidence that i am casting power ? PC and NPC with out Psyniscience skill can notice that i am casting power ?

And also: "A Psyker may manifest only one ability per Round with the exception of the Resist Possession power." Can i cast Catch projectiles like this ? (If this is second power in the round)? 

Edited by boriss283

When i am casting power, there is some visual evidence that i am casting power ? PC and NPC with out Psyniscience skill can notice that i am casting power ?

And also: "A Psyker may manifest only one ability per Round with the exception of the Resist Possession power." Can i cast Catch projectiles like this ? (If this is second power in the round)? 

Depends on your GM, depends on the power, and depends on Invocation. My own GM rules that the more dice I roll to manifest the power, the more obvious it is, and using invocation automatically results in the glowing eyes and such.

I don't remember if Resist Possession is a reaction. If it is, then no you cannot, as you only get one reaction a round (Unless you have Wall of Steel or Step Aside, neither of which would let you cast a second Psychic Power).  If it's a free action, then yes you can.

Edited by ColArana

Resist possession does not take up your allotted psychic power, so you could cast resist possession and bio lightning, but not catch projectile as they are both reactions.

So i have question about sustaining power. I msut cast it, make powek check. Adn after this every 10 round make re-power check to sustain power. But how does it works with 2 sustained spells ? I have already 1 sustained spell, so if i want to cast second sustain spell i will take -4 penalty on power check. But after 10 rounds, when i will make sustain check on my first power, will i take -4 penalty check from second sustained spell ?