Sign in to follow this  
Darth Poopdeck

Any Rumors of Future Core Books after FaD?

Any chance you can post that HWK-1000?

Here you go. Sorry on the slow reply, was at GenCon. A few liberties (in that it can carry 7 total people instead of 6, and it has a turret). It was made faster than the others, so some bits are a bit copied over (like the cockpit area. The cockpit also has the opening to go down into the hold which is underneath it.)

Thanks a bunch. If you have any more, I'd love to see them!

Why would you need further CRBs? I would think Sector/Setting books could cover anything else.

You can build a Clone Wars Jedi, or a Old Republic Sith Sorcerer with the current CRBs if you are creative and spend XP wisely.

One of my players really wants an Imperial centric CRB like Age of Rebellion. I say just use AoR and your duty would be to the Empire. I just want supplements, no more CRB. I already feel a bit taken advantage of with 3 CRB.

Yeah, the only thing I can really see them doing is some mini-corebooks covering specific areas. We've got rules for the force, for military style combat, and for the fringe elements, and the rules for pretty much everyone else could be extrapolated from there.

Maybe they would do $40 "expansions" that have additional careers drawn from the new material, but a new sourcebook would be... overkill, I think.

Unless Abrams is going to do something REALLY out there. 

An Imperial splatbook would be great but IMO an Imperial Corebook wouldn't be needed. All Imperial campaigns need that isn't in the current corebooks is data on Imperial organization, and planets, new Duty, Obligation, and morality tables, and gear/vehicles would be awesome though the other books include enough Imp gear and vehicles that it isn't entirely nessecary.

An Imperial splatbook would be great but IMO an Imperial Corebook wouldn't be needed. All Imperial campaigns need that isn't in the current corebooks is data on Imperial organization, and planets, new Duty, Obligation, and morality tables, and gear/vehicles would be awesome though the other books include enough Imp gear and vehicles that it isn't entirely nessecary.

much like the WEG one...which you can still use..

Would love to see an Old Republic book, granted it probably doesn't need to be a CRB.. Most the classes already fit would just need some reflavoring and a few more jedi classes.. but the big thing to me would be the stats on the ships vehicles n fighters and the drooids

Would love to see an Old Republic book, granted it probably doesn't need to be a CRB.. Most the classes already fit would just need some reflavoring and a few more jedi classes.. but the big thing to me would be the stats on the ships vehicles n fighters and the drooids

the careers we have cover everything you would need from a character point of view. Just do something like a region book but instead it is an era book.

I myself would like to see a combined core book. It is rather cost prohibitive to have to purchase 3 rule books to get all of the rules and realize most of the information is the same in all the books. I am an old WEG player and loved the Imperial and Rebel Sourcebooks and would like a sourcebook focused on both factions instead of a core book dedicated to the Rebellion.

Either way I love the books but at the current price it is hard to convince some of my friends to give the game a try. Then having to spend more money for a dice set on top is just the icing on the cake. I really like the idea of a condensed book and would love to see one. Perhaps a sourcebook for the upcoming films.

I myself would like to see a combined core book. It is rather cost prohibitive to have to purchase 3 rule books to get all of the rules and realize most of the information is the same in all the books. I am an old WEG player and loved the Imperial and Rebel Sourcebooks and would like a sourcebook focused on both factions instead of a core book dedicated to the Rebellion.

Either way I love the books but at the current price it is hard to convince some of my friends to give the game a try. Then having to spend more money for a dice set on top is just the icing on the cake. I really like the idea of a condensed book and would love to see one. Perhaps a sourcebook for the upcoming films.

Welcome to the forums, Bushman!

The three core book thing has been a gripe among some people for a while and the source of some grumpiness. I'd argue that at this point, a single volume would be a kick in the teeth for all the people who invested in the full series. Plus, you don't NEED all three - you can choose your flavour of preference and manage just fine. Or, if you have a gaming group that meets regularly, different people could purchase a different book to spread the cost.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your time here :)

Best wishes

PM3D

The three core book thing has been a gripe among some people for a while and the source of some grumpiness. I'd argue that at this point, a single volume would be a kick in the teeth for all the people who invested in the full series. Plus, you don't NEED all three - you can choose your flavour of preference and manage just fine. Or, if you have a gaming group that meets regularly, different people could purchase a different book to spread the cost.

I can't like PM3D's post more than once, so I'll quote the part I so heartily agree with here to show my support of the sentiment.  

Seriously, one book is totally sufficient for any campaign.  I'd recommend the EotE book in particular; not because it came first, but because I think it has the 'loosest' expectations of the group/campaign it supports, and it's 'flavor mechanic' is similarly flexible.  After you have one core book, you have all the important rules you need to play the game.  The additional core books will primarily get you three types of information, in approximate order of volume:

• Fluff
  • Character creation options
  • Stat blocks

I mean... yeah, the EotE book doesn't include stats for an X-wing (which still kind of bugs me), but unless you're running a "Rogue Squadron" style game (and you should be doing that with AoR anyway), you don't really need them.  This is true for a LOT of the stat blocks in the books.

The fluff you can fill in yourself, and the character creation options... this is where it kinda hurts, but from a GM PoV, it doesn't affect you, so let the players buy the additional cores and supplements that contain the material they want to use.  IMO It's not the GM's responsibility to supply those for the players.

So, yeah, a consolidate core just doesn't seem to be much of a need to me, and would just take up a lot of publisher time and effort that's best put toward generating content that's actually new.  FFG seems to agree.

Edited by LethalDose

I can't like PM3D's post more than once, so I'll quote the part I so heartily agree with here to show my support of the sentiment.  

Seriously, one book is totally sufficient for any campaign.  I'd recommend the EotE book in particular; not because it came first, but because I think it has the 'loosest' expectations of the group/campaign it supports, and it's 'flavor mechanic' is similarly flexible.  After you have one core book, you have all the important rules you need to play the game.  The additional core books will primarily get you three types of information, in approximate order of volume:

• Fluff
  • Stat blocks

I mean... yeah, the EotE book doesn't need stats for an X-wing (which still kind of bugs me), but unless you're running a "Rogue Squadron" style game (and you should be doing that with AoR anyway), you don't really need them.  This is true for a LOT of the stat blocks in the books.

The fluff you can fill in yourself, and the character creation options... this is where it kinda hurts, but from a GM PoV, it doesn't affect you, so let the players buy the additional cores and supplements that contain the material they want to use.  IMO It's not the GM's responsibility to supply those for the players.

So, yeah, a consolidate core just doesn't seem to be much of a need to me, and would just take up a lot of publisher time and effort that's best put toward generating content that's actually new.  FFG seems to agree.

I'm going to reply with some mutual back slapping by agreeing about EotE being the ideal standalone. At the risk of sounding a little contentious, I'd also add that for all my desire to get hold of F&D, once I looked through it, admired the art, checked out the Force powers, etc, I felt (and still feel) that it seems a little weird in relation to the other books. There's something about the classes that for me just doesn't gel with the era. The idea of loads of clandestine non-Jedi kicking around behind the scenes undermines the importance of Luke's quest and feels a lot like fan service (I'm not asking anyone to agree with that, it's just how I feel... "Oh, someone ELSE who escaped the attentions of the Empire"), though I appreciate that my opinion may be in the minority here. Perhaps F&D should have been pushed back to the clone wars or the Old Republic era.

Edited by Pac_Man3D

• Fluff
  • Stat blocks

I mean... yeah, the EotE book doesn't need stats for an X-wing (which still kind of bugs me), but unless you're running a "Rogue Squadron" style game (and you should be doing that with AoR anyway), you don't really need them.  This is true for a LOT of the stat blocks in the books.

I'm going to reply with some mutual back slapping by agreeing about EotE being the ideal standalone. At the risk of sounding a little contentious, I'd also add that for all my desire to get hold of F&D, once I looked through it, admired the art, checked out the Force powers, etc, I felt (and still feel) that it seems a little weird in relation to the other books. There's something about the classes that for me just doesn't gel with the era. The idea of loads of clandestine non-Jedi kicking around behind the scenes undermines the importance of Luke's quest and feels a lot like fan service (I'm not asking anyone to agree with that, it's just how I feel... "Oh, someone ELSE who escaped the attentions of the Empire"), though I appreciate that my opinion may be in the minority here. Perhaps F&D should have been pushed back to the clone wars or the Old Republic era.

why wouldn't there be non jedi kicking around? It is a very big galaxy.

The idea of loads of clandestine non-Jedi kicking around behind the scenes undermines the importance of Luke's quest and feels a lot like fan service (I'm not asking anyone to agree with that, it's just how I feel... "Oh, someone ELSE who escaped the attentions of the Empire"), though I appreciate that my opinion may be in the minority here. Perhaps F&D should have been pushed back to the clone wars or the Old Republic era.

Just for discussions sake, if you look at the Star Wars galaxy as a huge galaxy full of people (ignoring that sci-fi writers have no sense of scale), then you are still playing the minority of the minority. Granted, I would personally shy away from the 'padawan survivor of the Purge' (like Kanan), but Force sensitives have to crop up enough for the Jedi Order to sustain their numbers consistently for generations.

Dagnabbit, Daeglan, you beat me to it.

why wouldn't there be non jedi kicking around? It is a very big galaxy.

Okay, let me clarify. When I first watched the original trilogy, I felt a sense of wonder at the prospect of Luke not only being A NEW HOPE, but possibly THE ONLY HOPE. When we later find out that "there is another", the mystery deepened. But if there's another, and another, and another (you get the picture), to my mind, it reduces the impact of that aspect of Star Wars. Not that I'm trying to put the last of the old/first of the new Jedi on a pedestal, but lots of Force users scurrying around, eluding the Empire indefinitely is a little dull (kind of like how so many people create dark elves in D&D because Drizzt is sort of cool, arguably). Also, it makes Vader seem less competent (again, my opinion, and corresponding only to how I feel about my personal vision of the SW universe) . I envisage a man who has hunted down every Force-user and bent them to his will or broken them on the wheel. Not someone who's head of a crisis management team dealing with some kind of infestation. Then again, if I was to have my way with the prequel trilogy, the Jedi order would be a scant few; secretive and aloof - more akin to the wizards in LotR or the witchers from The Witcher.

Edit: Thought I'd get a semi-colon in there. Gotta love them semi-colons.

Edited by Pac_Man3D

First, to stay on topic, there are still no rumors of a new core product.

That being said, some notes on the following comment:

• Yeah, F&D is a bit of an "odd duck,"  but FFG didn't really have any way around this.  They're focusing on the Dark Times + Rebellion Era, so this book *needed* to be set then.  
  • IMO, the Clone Wars is close enough... ish to have these "Jedi Archtypes" included here and Force Unleashed showed some Jedi surviving into the Dark Times (e.g. Masters Kota and Ti). 
  • The EU is in such a state of flux and there's *SO MUCH* coming down the pipe, FFG just doesn't want to touch other eras like The Old Republic.  The CEO flat-out said they ain't messing with that stuff for this reason in this year's in-flight report.
  • The F&D book has an enormous amount of it's volume dedicated to the history of the Jedi...  There's more than enough to set the game in a different era if that's what you want.
  • The above stated point-of-view is true for basically any Jedi PC or NPC set during this time, regardless of the system. But we've been doing it for like 30 years.  If you feel that this undermines Luke's quest... sorry?  I mean, there's really no way around that, other than not giving us a force-user core system... thats not an option.

So, I get what PM3D is saying. Or at least what I think he's trying to say (In his opinion, there are 'flavor' issues with F&D).  And I subjectively agree with the opinion, but I think it's vastly more important that the system exist, and we overlook the minor flavor issues.

Anyway, this is getting off-topic, and we should probably steer this aging thread back onto the topic of the [non]existence of future core products.  Subjective F&D opinions are probably best left to separate thread.

Guys, you do know that the fact that there is a possiblity to play a force user in your game doesn't mean that all the characters in all games are existing in universe at the same time, right?

We will use one or two characters from the book, they are some of a rare few in the universe.

Guys, you do know that the fact that there is a possiblity to play a force user in your game doesn't mean that all the characters in all games are existing in universe at the same time, right?

We will use one or two characters from the book, they are some of a rare few in the universe.

Wait.. you mean this ISN'T a Massively Multiplayer Offline Roleplaying Game...?

It's okay, sometimes I talk out of my backside.

No, I think what you were saying was pretty clear, I just try not to presume.  I restated my interpretation parenthetically to give you the opportunity to confirm it was correct or clarify.

It's okay, sometimes I talk out of my backside.

No, I think what you were saying was pretty clear, I just try not to presume.  I restated my interpretation parenthetically to give you the opportunity to confirm it was correct or clarify.

Then yes, you are correct :)