Sign in to follow this  
Radzap

K-Wing Thread (sans the slam talk)

When I saw the K-Wing in speculation threads I thought that is was one of the ugliest ships ever and hoped it would never ever get to my beloved game X-wing. Though after seeing the model now I think they did a great job with the miniature and kind of start to like it. Also the artwork is good too on the ship and upgrade cards.

I think the wording is not very clear about the SLAM (and has allready been discussed a lot in the orther thread), but I think it is clear that the designers (and also the article) meant bombs can be dropped after movement and before you slam for the second movement. I think it is a fun and thematic mechanic, now lets wait and see what the dial is going to be. I think it wil be pretty bad and no K-turns, but thats fine.

Nice to see more options for the bomb slot and the new torpedo looks pretty sweet too. Bombardier will be very good in some situations but I am afraid it is too situational to justify the 1 point cost.

Is the woman on the Bombardier upgrade supposed to be Miranda Doni?

The new turret will also be useful for other ships, though I am wondering how people will fly the K-wing, allways with a turret upgrade?

Also my question now is, how many should I get? 2 at least, but more?

It is UGLY! To me that is, feel free to like it. Taste is, after all, poorly debatable.

I would love to put a bombardier crew on a real bomber (yes the Imperial one)

I like the connor-net and the plasma torpedo.

I am afraid I would use the cards and tokens, but not the miniatue itself. As my gsming group proxies a lot through squad-builder-print-outs, even the cards might stay in the package.

Conclusion: I probably pass on this one..

I am afraid I would use the cards and tokens, but not the miniatue itself. As my gsming group proxies a lot through squad-builder-print-outs, even the cards might stay in the package.

Conclusion: I probably pass on this one..

Likewise.  In fact, you can add the TIE Punisher to that as well.  There are a lot of interesting new cards and upgrades available in these two expansion packs, but I won't be picking up the models simply for the cards and tokens.  I'll wait until they're available elsewhere.  (By which I mean other expansions, not pack-splitters).

Considering the C3PO card on it's own can set you back as much as £20 if buying it individually, the secondary market for cards like Twin Ion Engine, Conner Net, Cluster Bombs and Twin Laser Turret is going to be disgusting.

The K-wing looks amazing and I'm buying it mostly for that ^_^

anyway, the ship itself (rulewise) is ass. 23 points for 2-dice primary without the A-wing's sexy EPT is garbage, PWT or no. It's going to get slaughtered by the real PWTs who don't give two ***** about how awesome S.L.A.M is.

The utility of the K seems almost 100% stuffed into S.L.A.M bombs and mines (ordnance is far less than impressive with the plasma reveal), of which the revealed bombs all focus on control (ionization). The connor net specifically seems to be all the justification one needs to slap a K down on the table, but I find it funny that it's actually not terribly impressive against large PWTs as much as it just utterly neuters poor soonts for a turn.

I hope the Punisher pack's bomb + mine pack a hefty punch, else the K's going to be a support ship. So far, I don't see much reason to run it as anything other than a mine-layer, and therefore don't see much reason to run anyone but the PS 2.

Warden w/extra munis + advanced slam + conner net = 31 points. That puts you at 97 after adding in three blue squadron pilots, leaving enough room for something like c3po or another mine.

TLT's going to be money on y-wings

I'm going to buy it and love it, and blow the K-Wing haters up with it. Twice  :D

I love that the SLAM action and bomb-dropping go so well together. For one point, I think a bombardier is a great upgrade, as you can use it up to 4 times on K Wings, as well as the punisher. 

Warden (23)

Ion Bomb (2)

Seismic Charge (2)

Extra Munitions (2)

Bombardier (1)

30 points of bombing goodness...

I think that Y wings are the best torpedo carriers, and Z95s are the best missile carriers, so I don't think those two slots are going to see much use, unless you feel like popping something in for 2 or 3 points since you have Extra Munitions already anyway.

The problem with bombing at PS 2 is you play a big guessing game of where your opponent is actually going to end up. Its better to use bombs (seismic, Proton) at high PS and mines at low PS.

My first K-wing squad will be (likely only going to buy one of these monstrosities):

Doni

-R2-D2 crew or Chewie

-Seismic

Jan Ors

-Predator

-TLT

-Moldy

-Rec. Spec

Blue Sqd.

-FCS

= 99 points

Miranda's turret can be buffed to HLC levels and 5 dice  :blink: at range 1. However, she can still recover a shield if need be and still fire with a 2 dice turret if Jan buffs her. Jan will put out consistent long range damage and should be able to strip tokens for Miranda's turret to hit even harder. The key is to try and keep her at range 3 where she gets a defense bonus but her target does not. The Blue will but out consistent damage as well.

Edited by Jo Jo

low PS for mines (Assuming they're all getting the prox mine immediate detonation ruling)

high PS for bombs

personally, I believe the greater control you have over the mines and the sheer awesomeness of the conner are going to make the Warden the preferred pilot unless the Punisher has some awesome-sauce that proves me wrong (or right, given we're still waiting on cluster mines)

3 Wardens with TLT and some kind of bomb package (conner, cluster, prox with bombadier, seismic with extra munitions, etc). Alternatively drop the bombs (rofl) for a Bandit or Tala.

Maybe it won't be the strongest list but I'll have plenty of fun flying it.

You can run 3 Wardens with TLT and Rec. Spec. on all of them. That gives you 4 points for a Conner net or whatever you fancy. Its about as boring of a squad you can get, but I think it will be effective (dial depending). Flying it will be as simple as counting to three.

Move. Focus. Shoot. Rinse and Repeat.

Edited by Jo Jo

What I think is interesting is that they went through the trouble of creating a weapons disabled token; I will bet that future expansions will introduce possible mechanics on ways to disable your enemies weapons

Plan is...buy 2 K's

Maybe a 3rd but thats down the road and for epic play

The design is like the actual A10 to me...as in its ugly as sin but beautiful in its own unique way

The new ordnance will definitely help and my god I wonder how much a K with each slot filled would cost

Also a butt load of new tokens...time to reorganize the kit

First, also love the A10 Thunderbolt II.  Great plane.  Ridiculous firepower. 

Second, Doni with the most expensive upgrades (definitely not the best ones) at each slot for her comes to 73 points.  

One thing I don't know if it has been covered before but Advanced Slam Could be very useful for dropping mines getting an extra move and then being able to drop your Conner Net or Cluster Mines (if they are good) 

So this is my guess of a monstrosity of a dial for the K-wing. (5 red may not be included)

K_wing_guess.png

Of course this is rather some wild speculation. It may not have a 5 maneuver at all. In a matter of fact it may not even have a K-turn which would make slam all that much more important as the K-wing would have to hard 2 or 3(depending on which color the maneuvers are) then hard slam again forgoing the attack.

See, I would think of it as more of a slow, lumbering thing, since SLAM can give it a massive speed boost for a round. Doing two four-straights in a round gets you a pretty ridiculous amount of movement; SLAM should be fast, but not THAT fast. I would guess that the fastest white maneuver the thing has will be speed three, with maybe a 4 red and possibly a 4-K, but I am a bit doubtful that it'll have a K-turn, especially one that you can SLAM into (that is, one with a white/green maneuver of the same speed). The thing has a turret, and, assuming it has any white hard turns, it can SLAM to turn around in one turn.

My guess would be more like this:

5 None

4 Straight

3 Turn, Bank, Straight, Bank, Turn

2 Turn, Bank, Straight, Turn

1 Bank, Straight, Bank

But that's probably too similar to the Y-Wing's dial. Still, it'll fly differently with SLAM.

I'm really liking the K-Wing in general, and I'm actually starting to see the value of Extra Munitions now that I'm playing around with squad ideas. It's a lot more palatable to buy torps and missiles when you know you'll get two of each. It might not be that great on a B-Wing or a Y-Wing, but on the K-Wing, it's really nice.

One thing I don't know if it has been covered before but Advanced Slam Could be very useful for dropping mines getting an extra move and then being able to drop your Conner Net or Cluster Mines (if they are good) 

FAQ says you can only drop one bomb per turn.

Edited by Ailowynn

Hmmm, I'm thinking of it as a high speed vector attack platform. So turning shouldn't be its forte. How about:

5 Straight

Straight

3 TurnBank, Straight, Bank, Turn

2 Turn, Bank, Straight, Bank, Turn

1 Bank, Bank

Still plenty of green (more than the Defender) but it would really have to plan its turns.

[edit] Should --> Shouldn't

Edited by Radzap

There is no way this thing will have a 5 straight and I even doubt it has a 4 straight and if it does it will likely be red. With a 5 straight you could slam across most of the board. No way it will be that fast. I'm really thinking this thing will have a dial like a HWK, with 3 red turns and the banks white.

Hmmm, I'm thinking of it as a high speed vector attack platform. So turning should be its forte. How about:

5 Straight

Straight

1 Bank, Bank

Still plenty of green (more than the Defender) but it would really have to plan its turns.

I know the title of the thread specifically excludes SLAM talk, but this makes me wonder about having red and green maneuvers of the same speed. From what we've been told so far, SLAM counts as executing a maneuver. If stress is applied and removed in the same way, being able to make a red maneuver and SLAM into a green in the same round would be quite powerful.

Edit: Moot point. SLAM is also an action! You can't do those if you're stressed.

Edited by LaserBrain

Hmmm, I'm thinking of it as a high speed vector attack platform. So turning should be its forte. How about:

5 Straight

Straight

1 Bank, Bank

I know the title of the thread specifically excludes SLAM talk, but this makes me wonder about having red and green maneuvers of the same speed. From what we've been told so far, SLAM counts as executing a maneuver. If stress is applied and removed in the same way, being able to make a red maneuver and SLAM into a green in the same round would be quite powerful.

I like how you think.

TBH, I can see it working this way, with the FFG's track record on designing rebel ships (**** you Dash). 

5 Straight

Straight

1 Bank, Bank

But you perform the SLAM during your perform action step, so doing the red first will not allow the SLAM.

It seems like you'd have to do the red second, and then take a stress from that maneuver.

But you perform the SLAM during your perform action step, so doing the red first will not allow the SLAM.

It seems like you'd have to do the red second, and then take a stress from that maneuver.

Right, right. It's action-dependent, so anything that stresses you also prevents you from SLAMing.

This makes me very curious about where the greens are on this dial.