Sign in to follow this  
TitchFender

R2 PC

Hey all. Not sure if this has been posted before.
I have a PC who wants to gen an R2 series. Now, I've looked in the books and I'm wandering, would the froid come with all of the things that it would as a base model. ie it would come with all the sockets and the like. and then I've looked and wander how best would it be to give it new stuff.
Help is much appreciated.

That's where starting gear comes into play. The character gets 500 credits (possibly more if they reduce their starting Duty) to spend on starting equipment, which can generally be considered to be "integrated" into the droid itself. So for example a Tool Kit (300 cr) might become an integrated scomp link, welding torch, and hydrospanner. Tool Kits and/or Slicer Gear are pretty standard fare for purchases for a starting R2 unit, and if you're lowering your Duty to gain credits, things like a Com Scrambler, an Electronic Lock Breaker, and a Holo Messenger can make a lot of sense.

Fusion Cutters, Glow Rods, Electrobinoculars, General Purpose Scanners...all these and more can be integrated into an R2 unit. Don't forget a backpack if you are a little short in Encumbrance department :)

Cheers, thanks. that's the one thing I wasn't sure of if it came with everything.

as for encumbrance, I don't really include it, I never have, I house rule the "if you can carry it and it in a proper way, go for it" sometimes though, I guess ill need to watch encumbrance. I haven't even read the rule for encumbrance.

You are strongly advised NOT to ignore encumbrance in this game.

A lot of GMs hand-wave costs, rarity, Restricted items and encumbrance, but I've found these are quite important checks and balances in this game.  

It also feels more like Star Wars if you're not carrying 50 stormtrooper rifles too.

Yeah, building an astromech as a PC is simply a matter of spending your credits to purchase various pieces of gear as built-in.  Namely, you'd need the tool kit and at least a hand scanner (to represent a basic diagnostic tool) to cover the basics for an astromech PC.  You'll probably also want to purchase a backpack and relabel it as "internal storage space" to help offset the encumbrance value of the tool kit, since odds are you're not going to have a very high Brawn.  PIck up heavy clothing and relabel it "reinforced chassis" or something similar for an extra point of soak.  As for weapons, I wouldn't see a problem with the PC getting the arc welder for free as part of the tool kit, since it's pretty sub-standard as far as weapons go.  You could also purchase a hold-out blaster or light blaster pistol and relabel it an "electroshock probe" to mimic what Chopper (ab)uses on SW Rebels.

I did a PC write-up for an astromech PC (R2-B08) a while back for EotE (used Technician/Mechanic), and I've had a couple players make astromechs in games I've either run or played in, and it's proven to be a viable concept.

I totally understand with the encum. rules, but things like that wont happen...
it'd look bloody stupid for a start.
maybe ill have a read and see if i can get my head around the encum. rules.
in regards to the rarity and all of the rest, that will always have an effect.

Donovan, any chance you could link please?

Yeah the Enc rules are a snap, and they help manage overloading.

As others have said, a little wordplay and everything will fall into place. The R2 Unit I'm playing right now has the modular backpack from Enter the Unknown just renamed "Modular internal tool storage racks"

Pretty much everything can be reconfigured with just a word change. Combat knife = Utility saw, Power shears = vibroknife, smugglers trenchcoat = unlabeled storage compartments, Tenloss acid sprayer = Mynock&Parasite removal fogger (Fresh Spice Scent).

A PC droid is a unique droid, as GM I would allow something more then stock rival astromech, which could come with many tools, before purchasing with starting credit.

There's really no need though. Just like an organic PC, an R2 PC would start with 500 credits + any additional from Obligation or Duty.

So with that 500 alone you can get:

350 - Tool kit (this includes many tools, wire cutters, hydrospanners,ect)

50 - Heavy clothing (Standard service plating)

75 - Datapad (computer interface)

25 - Combat knife (utility saw)

And with that you're already off to a solid start.

With Obligation/Duty you can expand that easy:

Glowrod (utility lamp), Holomessenger, General Purpose scanner, Slicer Gear, jetpack, comlink, stun baton, cryoban sprayer, there's lots of items that can be reskinned to fit the astromech mold. It's just a matter of working it out.

Even the oddball stuff like minigrapplers, and lightsaber shooting aircannons are really just a matter of looking at things. The grapples are just flavor describing how the character carries things, the aircannon is just a strong throw, perhaps with a little Move on Lukes end to push it along...

A lot of GMs hand-wave costs, rarity, Restricted items and encumbrance, but I've found these are quite important checks and balances in this game.  

It also feels more like Star Wars if you're not carrying 50 stormtrooper rifles too.

I double this. In our EotE game we're strict about encumbrance to ensure that the hefty looters among the group aren't carrying twenty blaster rifles from every NPC they cross paths with. I actually really enjoy the encumbrance rules of this game because they take into account both weight and size of an object. So something might be light but still long and awkward to handle so its encumbrance would be rated accordingly.

I double this. In our EotE game we're strict about encumbrance to ensure that the hefty looters among the group aren't carrying twenty blaster rifles from every NPC they cross paths with. I actually really enjoy the encumbrance rules of this game because they take into account both weight and size of an object. So something might be light but still long and awkward to handle so its encumbrance would be rated accordingly.

I tend to ask the characters what they're bringing with them off the ship and let them go with what's reasonable, grabbing 1 or 2 blaster rifles isn't unreasonable, carrying 10 sets of laminate armour is out of the question unless you can dig up a skiff or something. Though I too found rarity rules to be really important, it stops the PCs getting stupidly powerful stuff too early without crippling them in more deadly encounters

One of my players really wanted to do an R2 droid, but with some modifications. Basically, I determined that some of the modifications that make him a viable character required pulling some stock equipment. For example, his former owner installed a simulacrum of his own personality, including a module that lets him speak normally. Also, he's an exceptional pilot. I didn't require credits for this, but I did say he lacks the standard level of slicing ability because of how much processing power the simulated personality and enhanced piloting function requires. He wanted to carry a blaster, so I said it's installed where the standard holo-projector would have been.

One of my players really wanted to do an R2 droid, but with some modifications. Basically, I determined that some of the modifications that make him a viable character required pulling some stock equipment. For example, his former owner installed a simulacrum of his own personality, including a module that lets him speak normally. Also, he's an exceptional pilot. I didn't require credits for this, but I did say he lacks the standard level of slicing ability because of how much processing power the simulated personality and enhanced piloting function requires. He wanted to carry a blaster, so I said it's installed where the standard holo-projector would have been.

That simulacrum sounds like a holocron! Excellent reason to allow a droid PC in a Force and Destiny game. 

Sounds like a fun astromech to play. Not great with computers, but good with blasters and starfighters. 

A PC droid is a unique droid, as GM I would allow something more then stock rival astromech, which could come with many tools, before purchasing with starting credit.

There's really no need though. Just like an organic PC, an R2 PC would start with 500 credits + any additional from Obligation or Duty.

So with that 500 alone you can get:

350 - Tool kit (this includes many tools, wire cutters, hydrospanners,ect)

50 - Heavy clothing (Standard service plating)

75 - Datapad (computer interface)

25 - Combat knife (utility saw)

And with that you're already off to a solid start.

With Obligation/Duty you can expand that easy:

Glowrod (utility lamp), Holomessenger, General Purpose scanner, Slicer Gear, jetpack, comlink, stun baton, cryoban sprayer, there's lots of items that can be reskinned to fit the astromech mold. It's just a matter of working it out.

Even the oddball stuff like minigrapplers, and lightsaber shooting aircannons are really just a matter of looking at things. The grapples are just flavor describing how the character carries things, the aircannon is just a strong throw, perhaps with a little Move on Lukes end to push it along...

I agree with the point, but I see that extra options in the R unit just like the flavor advantages organic background has. I am a Corellian it gives me good standing with Corellians, I am a wookie I am intimidating by nature, I am a gand I will always be suspected to be a bounty hunter...

...you are a droid, and you are able to get places that organics can't because everyone considers you to be "just a droid." 

NOT, "you are a droid so you should start with hundreds of credits' worth of free stuff." Same as being a Wookiee: just because I'm a Wookiee, doesn't mean I get a bowcaster for free.

First of all, I am sure not going to give a starting character all he wants, but its reasonable in my book to give some simple features.

Moreover, wookie starting with a bowcaster without spending initial credits? Fine by me, the rules are not set in stone for me, and if there is a good reason for him to have one, sure why not... I will just balance it out through something else, doesn't have to be just starting credits element.

Moreover, wookie starting with a bowcaster without spending initial credits? Fine by me, the rules are not set in stone for me, and if there is a good reason for him to have one, sure why not... I will just balance it out through something else, doesn't have to be just starting credits element.

Sounds like a good reason for a Rent-to-own agreement with a local Hutt.  With a...reasonable...interest rate attached.

Yes! TOTALLY.

"You want 1,000 credits of stuff and can't pay for it? Surrre...let's just raise this Obligation over here from 10 to 15, and call it good. Whaddya say?"

EDIT: Ah, Age of Rebellion. 

"You want 1,000 credits worth of equipment but you're out of money? You can call in some favors from the Alliance, but you'll be starting back at square one for promotions."

Edited by awayputurwpn

thanks for all the replies.

going to gen this character with everything in mind from you all.

But one more thing has crossed my mind, when in game, how would I go about putting a price to make anything an integrated system?

I wouldn't worry about altering the price. Just make a distinction between integrated and not. An integrated piece of equipment is only usable by droids and cyborgs who have them built in. Normal equipment is only usable by normal folks. No swapping them around.

I played an Astromech (R2) in a D20 game, and I had a blast.  I could not afford all of the gear that an Astromech had, so I just said that the gear I did not have was broken.  After the group joined the Rebel Alliance my R2 forged some requisition forms, and raided the droid repair bay for parts.  It was a bunch of fun!

Edited by darkrose50

Heh, when creating their characters, my 2 players (one RPG veteran, one brand new) both bought toolbelts that added to their encumbrance limit and the veteran (big-game hunter) also bought a backpack.

He's toting around 14 encumbrance right now, and the other one is capped out at 10 currently.

I'm very impressed that they both immediately realized that they needed to up their encumbrance to bring most of the stuff they wanted (and since they started without a ship, custom characters but playing the beginner box adventure, they had to carry everything).