Sign in to follow this  
Stilgod

Firespray Love(FFG, take notes)

Love me some Firesprays, especially of the Scum variety. Here's some fun ideas to bring them up to par with the other fat ships in the game. Yes, these are a bit over the top, but I'd love to see some upgrades to bring them up a notch or three.

Heavy Swivel

Modification. Firespray Only.  2 points.

You may attack targets in your Auxiliary arc using [canon] weapons.

Kath fans unite!

Dengar

Crew. Scum Only. 5 points.

When attacking or defending against an enemy in your firing arc which you have a Target Lock on , you may roll 1 additional die.

The Scum C3P0/Palpatine.

Bounty Hunter's Guild

EPT. Scum Only. 3 Points.

At the beginning of the game before the "Set Dials" step,  you may acquire a Target Lock on an enemy ship. When attacking a Target Locked ship, you may reroll attack dice without discarding your blue target lock token.You may not use the Target Lock action or acquire a new Target Lock if you already posses a blue target lock token.

Thematic and effective. Bounty Hunting in X-wing? Yes, please. 

Firespray-31 Upgraded Drive Engine

Modification. Firespray Only. 6 points.

Your action bar gains [boost]. After boosting, you may perform 1 additional action, then receive one stress token.

Boost+EI.

Kath Scarlet - 38

Bounty Hunter's Guild - 3

Dengar - 5

Heavy Laser Cannon - 7

Heavy Swivel- 2

Glitterstim - 2

=57 points for a nasty...NASTY Firespray worthy of the name. Sure... with expose, at R1, in Aux arc, with a TL, Kath could roll 7 dice. But that's a LOT of requirements for a Death Star shot. 

Expose doesnt work on secondary weapons. 

I actually do like some of your ideas.  I think Dengar is unneccesary imo.  And Upgraded Engine is also a little overpowered because it lets you keep your EPt slot open instead of getting PTL.  All for one less point too.  Opportunity cost is the problem here.  

Heavy Swivel imo should be a thing.  =/

oh, Bounty Hunter's Guild is such a cool idea!!  

Expose doesnt work on secondary weapons. 

Forgot, my bad. That caps it at 6, which is the same as a Phantom R1 with Expose.

I think Dengar is unneccesary imo.

Fireprays need a couple more defensive options IMO, and this fits into the bounty-hunting theme. It also synergies with BH guild.

And Upgraded Engine is also a little overpowered because it lets you keep your EPt slot open instead of getting PTL.  All for one less point too.  Opportunity cost is the problem here.  

Its an intentional buff for Firesprays, so yes, its cheaper than PTL+EU. Its certainly no more powerful than anything Han, Cheerio, or Superdash can do for a comparable cost.

oh, Bounty Hunter's Guild is such a cool idea!!  

Thanks, I'm a huge fan of thematic cards.

Edited by Stilgod

I'd like some kind of rapid fire ability like you see in episode 2. Jango lit up space with the amount of firepower he laid down. I don't think the twin laser turret is the right idea for it either.

I'd also like to see some kind of flak cannon.

Range 2-3, attack 3. Cost 5. After you perform an attack the hits, deal one damage to every ships at range one of the defender. Basically an assault cannon. Might make assault misses completely worthless, and swarms with it. Just an idea.

I'd like some kind of rapid fire ability like you see in episode 2. Jango lit up space with the amount of firepower he laid down. I don't think the twin laser turret is the right idea for it either.

I'd also like to see some kind of flak cannon.

Range 2-3, attack 3. Cost 5. After you perform an attack the hits, deal one damage to every ships at range one of the defender. Basically an assault cannon. Might make assault misses completely worthless, and swarms with it. Just an idea.

I like that. I was thinking about something similar, the rate of fire on the Slave 1 was insane during that chase.

Rapidfire Cannon

Firespray Only(?)

Perform one attack. If that attack hits, you may spend a focus token to perform a second attack.

Range 1-2. 3 Attack. 5 points.

Fun ideas, but the Firespray is pretty fine as it is.  I use the buggers pretty extensively, and never have I found them to be particularly underwhelming.  They cost, on average, six points less than Decimators or Falcons for a reason: they're not really meant to be "fat" ships.  Best you can do is fly a pair of em' together, something you can't realistically do with the Falcon or Decimator (in terms of making them "fat": no Fat Chewie AND Fat Han at the same time... more likely to have Oicunn and a Patrol Leader).  It's much more comparable to the YT-2400, where even Super Dash is most often paired with a pilot (Corran) that has almost the same base price as him.  And holy crap, a fully loaded out Soontir Fel is the same price as naked Corran... wtf mate.

Scum just don't have, at least yet, an equivalent fat PWT style ship (and I don't think the Hound's Tooth will change that, though boy am I excited for it!).  It's not a ship designed to be "fat" and it doesn't need to be.  Make one half your squad and be happy with it: flown well a Firespray can more than justify its price.  Heck, on the lower end you can very easily put in two Firesprays and a third ship that isn't just some sad little TIE Fighter/Headhunter filler.  Can't do that with Decimators, and the ORS are hardly comparable to Fat Chewies.  

Still, fun ideas.  But the Firespray isn't in any dire need of them.

Having your cannon fire from the rear arc should be a firespray only illicit upgrade. Missed the mark on that one.

Nah, Krassis needs some love too.
Ooh, agreed.

I flew krassis pretty extensively before the phantom rose up and took the rest of 2014 from us. May go back to him now.

Fun ideas, but the Firespray is pretty fine as it is.  I use the buggers pretty extensively, and never have I found them to be particularly underwhelming.  They cost, on average, six points less than Decimators or Falcons for a reason: they're not really meant to be "fat" ships.  Best you can do is fly a pair of em' together, something you can't realistically do with the Falcon or Decimator (in terms of making them "fat": no Fat Chewie AND Fat Han at the same time... more likely to have Oicunn and a Patrol Leader).  It's much more comparable to the YT-2400, where even Super Dash is most often paired with a pilot (Corran) that has almost the same base price as him.  And holy crap, a fully loaded out Soontir Fel is the same price as naked Corran... wtf mate.

Scum just don't have, at least yet, an equivalent fat PWT style ship (and I don't think the Hound's Tooth will change that, though boy am I excited for it!).  It's not a ship designed to be "fat" and it doesn't need to be.  Make one half your squad and be happy with it: flown well a Firespray can more than justify its price.  Heck, on the lower end you can very easily put in two Firesprays and a third ship that isn't just some sad little TIE Fighter/Headhunter filler.  Can't do that with Decimators, and the ORS are hardly comparable to Fat Chewies.  

Still, fun ideas.  But the Firespray isn't in any dire need of them.

Yeah, the Firespray's good, but it's not a fat boat- in order for that to work, scum would need the quality crew upgrades that would make a fat boat work, like C3P0.

Yeah, the Firespray's good, but it's not a fat boat- in order for that to work, scum would need the quality crew upgrades that would make a fat boat work, like C3P0.

Thats exactly what I'm suggesting: C3p0-levels of upgrades to make Firesprays comparable to other Fat ships in cost and effectiveness. Dengar gives them 3 AG against ships they've got target locked and the upgraded engine is a PTL+Engine. At the end of the day, they still lack the turret+other goodies that Fat Han or Superdash have, and that's fine. A ~60 point Fat-Firespray should be possible IMO.

I'm also a huge firespray fan. I agree that they are at a bit of a disadvantage compared to other large ships in the game. No turret, no native boost or barrel, not much for damage mitigation. However I rather see the other ships go down a notch then raise the firespray up. I like the fact I can fly them and not get groans like with fat turrets or brobots.

I'm also a huge firespray fan. I agree that they are at a bit of a disadvantage compared to other large ships in the game. No turret, no native boost or barrel, not much for damage mitigation. However I rather see the other ships go down a notch then raise the firespray up. I like the fact I can fly them and not get groans like with fat turrets or brobots.

Go fly 3x Bounty Hunters, and get back to me.

Go fly 3x Bounty Hunters, and get back to me.

I've yet to try this build but if I saw it against me I wouldn't fear it much. Though I'd fear the player who can master such a build. High ps post movement large base boost is just such a powerful thing.

I could agree that id rather see the other large ships comedown to the firespray s level. It's a good ship don't get me wrong. But I think still tier 2 compared to the other large ships ATM. Not impossible to do amazingly with but a little harder.

Bounty Hunter's Guild

At the beginning of the game before the "Set Dials" step,  you may acquire a Target Lock on an enemy ship. When attacking a Target Locked ship, you may reroll attack dice without discarding your blue target lock token.You may not use the Target Lock action or acquire a new Target Lock if you already posses a blue target lock token.

How about

At the start of the game, choose 1 enemy ship. When attacking the chosen enemy ship you may roll 1 additional attack Die. Would be a little better vs 2 ship builds and wouldn't affect the entire game.

Bounty Hunter's Guild

This is an excellent EPT.  I love the theme here.

Bounty Hunter's Guild

Very thematic indeed

Edited by Nitratas

Bounty Hunter's Guild

Very thematic indeed

I think for only 3 points there should be some sort of drawback, like you can't remove a stress unless you're within range 3 of the chosen ship (until it's destroyed).

I think for only 3 points there should be some sort of drawback, like you can't remove a stress unless you're within range 3 of the chosen ship (until it's destroyed).

It seems pretty well-balanced to me.  You're effectively gaining a fire control system (2 points) on a ship that doesn't normally get one, but with a restriction that it only applies to a single ship.  It also locks you out of taking a target lock on any other ship until you kill that one, after which the EPT no longer functions.

If the other player is clever, they could keep the target out of your range, or make it a less enticing target (keeping it at range 3 for instance, or taking evade actions).  They could even bait the bounty hunter into pursuing the ship into a bad spot, where their other ships can easily get good shots on the firespray.  Lots of options for interesting play here.

It seems pretty well-balanced to me.  You're effectively gaining a fire control system (2 points) on a ship that doesn't normally get one, but with a restriction that it only applies to a single ship.  It also locks you out of taking a target lock on any other ship until you kill that one, after which the EPT no longer functions.

From the way its written, once you destroy the Bounty and get a new target lock, you regain the bonus. Otherwise, you're exactly right.

Pros: You get a TL at the start of the game. You do not discard the TL to reroll attack dice.

Con: You may not acquire a new TL until your first TL is destroyed.

Its powerful, thematic, yet open to a lot of counterplay from your opponent who may just keep the Bounty at bay and completely deny the Firespray a TL bonus.