Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Dakotan

What's the best worst thing that's happened to you (or an opponent)?

The best thing that I ever did was roll 4 natural cries

The worst thing was I had to change them to hits because it was a shot from a heavy laser cannon

Oh and then it was all evaded by 3 natural evades and a evade token

Edited by X Wing Nut

Worst thing that happened to an opponent during a store tournament....he rolled 16 straight misses from his IG-88s.   We both had a good chuckle at that.

Recently, I had gone through debris fields 3 times in a game.... each time I rolled a crit.   The third time before I rolled I said, I can't roll another crit can I?  Sure enough it comes up a crit.

1 in 8 odds my ass.

Not game mechanic related but i was playing a 4 A wing flight with brand new autothusters i'd spent £30 odd getting as i bought vipers just for the card..

And the mug my mate gave me a cup of tea in broke apart all over my cards and models.

Luckily i managed to try them out but it nearly looked like it was going to write off all the card components for the best part of a set of rebel aces and two starvipers...

Probably *worse* than that was about a year or so ago.  I was looking after my mates dog (hes teminally ill and wanted a 'last holiday').    we left an epic game set up on the dining table and during the night the dog got on the table and mangled my tantive and some small ships.

About £120 worth of damage but FFG and another awesome company replaced all the damaged parts for me.

During a friendly tournament (no prizes, no entry fee; just friendly games), I heard a guy giggle during the game setup.  We looked at him and he looked at us even as his opponent was thoroughly engrossed in his own preperations:

"Should I tell him?"

"What?"

*We looked*

*He giggled again*

"Yeah... you should probably tell him."

His opponent's super dash was facing backwards, ready to fly off the edge on his first move :P

I played a game last night using Vader. I was attacking a BroBot with SD at range 3 through an Asteroid. I rolled blank; CRIT; The BroBot rolled 5 Blanks and a focus. problem was he was stressed from S loop and could not take a focus.

SD gone at in first exchange. My opponent was not happy about that.

In his latest Regional, my brother faced a Dash/Jake/Proto with his Scum Boba/Kath in game 5, the last before the cut.

Both are 3-1 so the winner will advance to top 8, the loser will barely enter top 16.

On last turn, he chased Dash with his Boba for the last shot and rolled 3 hits from range 3. The YT needed 3 evades to survive, as he had just 1 hull left, and had a focus to spend.

Rolls... evade, focus, blank. The opponent shaked my brother's hand - Good game! - he told... and my brother answered: "Well, you're right behind that debris, you should roll another green"

Focus. Dash is safe, my brother loses and get 16th place.

He's not the smart one in our family, but at least he's a good sportsman :D

Probably *worse* than that was about a year or so ago.  I was looking after my mates dog (hes teminally ill and wanted a 'last holiday').    we left an epic game set up on the dining table and during the night the dog got on the table and mangled my tantive and some small ships.

About £120 worth of damage but FFG and another awesome company replaced all the damaged parts for me.

Hahaha, excuse for the next tournament: "The dog ate my homework autothrusters!"

I had Chewbacca at range 3 kill do 2 damage with no tokens at Range 3 to Vessery with Lone Wolf and Stealth Device with a Focus. This was the first firing turn. In a complete turnabout, Rexler Bath later got revenge by rolling 4 natural hits with Predator. Two damage got through Evade/3P0, and Rex used a Focus to flip up Injured Pilot and Damaged Sensor Array. It was a game winner.

I only got a Phantom recently, and in nearly every game I've fielded one I have forgotten to decloak at least once. In one game that resulted in Echo flying in totally the wrong direction and arriving late to the scrum, then getting one shotted by a Jan-boosted R1 Ten Numb shot.

On the plus side for me, I know there have been lucky rolls and tight obstacle clearances, but the only thing that really sticks out is the time my Baron took an unmodified R3 shot on my opponent's shieldless Rexler Brath because there was nothing else to do and blew him up.

Last night I took Laetin A'shera out for a spin. Boba Fett with Gunner came in and shot Laetin. Laetin had a focus token, but rolled hot enough to not need it, meaning I had 2 evade tokens for the Gunner-triggered second attack! It was sweet!

Of course, I rolled all blanks and focuses on the second attack and only blocked 2/3 hits, so that was the end of my Stealth Device ... :(

In one of my first games, and my first game with Emon Azzamen, I dropped a prox mine early in the game that was left untouched.Later, I did a soft 3 right into the template (was not used to such a large ship) and rolled two hits and a crit. I only had 2 hull left anyway. :/ 

First time we used the cr-90 we played a scenario I saw fell at range five roll six blanks needless to say he didnt last long.

In my favour range three shot with Rexler got three hits on a falcon with no evades, I spend the focus to flip em I reduce his primary by one, reduce his agility by one and make his turns red, it went down fast after that.

I once rolled nine hits and three crits over the course of three attacks. No focus tokens needed, those were just how the dice landed. 

I know a guy who once flew Corran over two rocks in one move, and died because they both did damage to him.

I think this is the worst for him because he should only have rolled for one obstacle!

The final round of swiss at the regional i went to was the most bizzare moment I've ever been involved in during a game of x wing. Both of us 3-1 with a top 8 finish and a set of dice all but guaranteed for the winner.

Corran vs a 4 hull btl y wing with about 15 mins left on the clock. Corran needs to run for a turn or two to get a few shields back before having a run at the y wing to win the game. I flew corran through a debris field, green move so r2d2 gets a shield back, roll for the debris, no damage, y wing fluffs his r3 attack through debris, corran is now ready to strike.

Next turn I k-turn corran, at which point a spectator reminds me that Corran flew through a debris field last turn, and ought to be stressed, just loud enough for only me to hear it.... at this point my life flashes before my eyes, i have this nightmarish vision of corran flying off the board and taking my top 8 hopes and dreams with him....

I informed my opponent of my error, undo corrans k turn and hand him my dial. By my estimate a 3 turn left puts corran in an unrecoverable position where he will surely flee the field next turn. My opponent elects to 3 turn right, placing corran on a rock and at r1 of his ywing. It was a solid play potentially setting up a kill shot, but turning toward the board edge would have been a match winner.

Corran survives the barrage, importantly isn't ioned, and several turns later legitimately k-turns to finish the y-wing.

In the wrap up, we discuss the move my opponent chose, he said he didn't consider the board edge because he didn't think he could reach it, i agreed, but when we reconstructed the situation it was clear there was no coming back if i did get sent that way.

Rather than kicking ourselves over our mistakes, we agreed that we had acted like gentlemen, me for admitting an error i could have hidden, and he for giving me a sporting chance rather than turning corran off the board.

It's a game I'll never forget, having gone from an almost certain win, to an almost certain loss, back to a slim chance and then eventually winning in the space of 5 minutes through mistakes and misplays on both sides, Crazy stuff. Love this game.

Second turn of game game playing brobots against hwk/double firespray

Range one shot from a firespray hit, hit, hit & hit. Roll three blanks. Use evade token.

Range three shot from firespray hit, hit & crit. Roll four blanks. Direct hit.

Range three shot from hwk crit. Roll four eye balls. Direct hit.

Both firesprays had target locks but didn't even need to use them.

Character building to say the least.

The final round of swiss at the regional i went to was the most bizzare moment I've ever been involved in during a game of x wing. Both of us 3-1 with a top 8 finish and a set of dice all but guaranteed for the winner.

Corran vs a 4 hull btl y wing with about 15 mins left on the clock. Corran needs to run for a turn or two to get a few shields back before having a run at the y wing to win the game. I flew corran through a debris field, green move so r2d2 gets a shield back, roll for the debris, no damage, y wing fluffs his r3 attack through debris, corran is now ready to strike.

Next turn I k-turn corran, at which point a spectator reminds me that Corran flew through a debris field last turn, and ought to be stressed, just loud enough for only me to hear it.... at this point my life flashes before my eyes, i have this nightmarish vision of corran flying off the board and taking my top 8 hopes and dreams with him....

I informed my opponent of my error, undo corrans k turn and hand him my dial. By my estimate a 3 turn left puts corran in an unrecoverable position where he will surely flee the field next turn. My opponent elects to 3 turn right, placing corran on a rock and at r1 of his ywing. It was a solid play potentially setting up a kill shot, but turning toward the board edge would have been a match winner.

Corran survives the barrage, importantly isn't ioned, and several turns later legitimately k-turns to finish the y-wing.

In the wrap up, we discuss the move my opponent chose, he said he didn't consider the board edge because he didn't think he could reach it, i agreed, but when we reconstructed the situation it was clear there was no coming back if i did get sent that way.

Rather than kicking ourselves over our mistakes, we agreed that we had acted like gentlemen, me for admitting an error i could have hidden, and he for giving me a sporting chance rather than turning corran off the board.

It's a game I'll never forget, having gone from an almost certain win, to an almost certain loss, back to a slim chance and then eventually winning in the space of 5 minutes through mistakes and misplays on both sides, Crazy stuff. Love this game.

Sounds like a good match and well done to both for flying casual.

First game of my last tourney - in my first 2 rounds of shooting rolled a total of 17 red dice with rerolls on each roll - rolled a total of 1 hit (which was easily evaded)

in my first 2 rounds of being shot at rolled a total of 20 green dice - rolled 1 evade.

I know it's bad form to blame the dice ....... but I'm blaming the dice  :)

Last night, I was playing a league game. My list was double IGs (B and D). I was up against Han and Dash. 88D and Han were dead and my 88B had taken the munitions failure crit and had lost his mangler cannon as a result so no gunner effect. He also had only 1 hull left. Dash was down to 4 or 5 hull. He was chasing after me through the asteroids. I k-turned and he went 3 straight and landed on an asteroid. No problem, he thought, it's Dash. The he realised he couldn't barrel roll left because he would land on another asteroid. No problem, he thought, I'll roll right. But he didn't have the clearance to get all the way across the asteroid. He ended up stuck at range 1 with no shot. 88B unloaded into him scoring 3 crits and a hit. He ended up taking two crits which put him down to one hull. Killed him a couple of turns later. 

Second turn of game game playing brobots against hwk/double firespray

Range one shot from a firespray hit, hit, hit & hit. Roll three blanks. Use evade token.

Range three shot from firespray hit, hit & crit. Roll four blanks. Direct hit.

Range three shot from hwk crit. Roll four eye balls. Direct hit.

Both firesprays had target locks but didn't even need to use them.

Character building to say the least.

Ouch! And I thought I had abysmal luck with dice.

Overall, my dice rolls are "excellent"... when it's to my disadvantage (flying over obstacles, card effects etc.) or when I don't really need it (rolling 3 evades when all I need is 1).

Edited by admat

I've seen Oicuun turned into a reverse Oicuun.

Oicuun gets critted to lose his pilot ability. (injured pilot)

Oicuun gets critted to take damage every time he bumps another ship. (stunned pilot)

It was pretty **** amusing.