Sign in to follow this  
Danthrax

New article about the Kihraxz — Lightning Reflexes

Actually another point just sunk in: I don't know why the article points out that the Kihraxz doesn't fly in formation, when it basically has a Scyk dial. Graz with a couple of Ion Spacers could be pretty potent against a large turret, or Talonbane next to HLC Laetin could mess with targeting priority!

How exactly do you rotate a ship 180 degrees? There are no guide nubs on the sides of the base. 

The Khiraxz with all its upgrades is still a tier 2 ship at absolute best. 

i would imagine you place a template in the nubs, then rotate 180 and realign with opposite nubs

Someone might be confused about how far 180 degrees is.

How exactly do you rotate a ship 180 degrees? There are no guide nubs on the sides of the base. 

i would imagine you place a template in the nubs, then rotate 180 and realign with opposite nubs

Then they would have issues with the Koiogram, since thats the same verbiage they use in the rule book for the K-turn.  I don't see a lot of people confused about that past their first K-turn.

The Koiogran turn maneuver ( ) uses the same

movement template as a straight ( ) maneuver. The

only difference between these maneuvers is that after

executing a maneuver, the player rotates his

ship 180º (so that the guides on the front of the

ship’s base fit securely with the maneuver template).

Super-Lightning Reflexes:

Awesome ships only

Rotate your ship 540 degrees.

Lol...Apparently Darth Ruin has never done a K-Turn

Now i am a bit dissapointed it can t do a 360.

rofl

I like what you are doing with the math but i dont think its the ultimate truth. There are so many combinations to concider that jousting value isnt the only thing thats important.

Correct, and this is made clear in how I present the results. That's why I also include total cost predictions as well, that takes into account the dial, actions, etc. I even include a "required efficiency" number which lets you work backwards to figure out how much more damage (positive or mitigation) you need to do to break even vs your expected dice rolls.

Also you have some baselines what is worth how much, which is necessary but there could be other definitions with different results.

I'm not really sure what you mean here. The point though, is that everything is a relative measurement, so the best ships end up getting used the most, and therefore become the baseline against which future ships must be judged.

Moreover i guess you don't know what they could spend on developing the game. Noone outside their business does.

Spending money does not necessarily equate to hiring specific expertise, but conversely if you want specific expertise you have to pay for it. One can get a general sense for how much FFG pays by checking employer reviews on sites like glassdoor.com.

Who knows if they have an statistics/empirics expert in their developing team?

Expert is a relative term. FFG has a design and playtesting process for determining balanced ship costs which I am not privy to. All I can tell you is that in waves 1-6 all of the under performing ships, particularly the inevitable dud generic ships that are present in each wave, could have been balanced correctly by the use of advanced mathematics.

Also, see the point above.

Who knows if they even had serisouy plans going beyond wave 2 or anything?

Knowing FFG they certainly had a plan, but again, if you establish a reasonable baseline initially then it doesn't really matter -- you use that as the "pivot point" that you balance all future ships against.

Use math. Get balanced game at launch. Later releases won't detract from the X-wing because you have already established it as the baseline standard ship.

In wave 1 the cost effectiveness was all over the board. The best ship (TIE Fighter) inevitably ended up becoming the future baseline. They could have made the other 3 ships at a similar power level, and then they all would have been viable.

Funnily enough, I kinda like the fixed Advanced more than I like what they would have been able to do with it in Wave 1. The toolset simply expanded enough in the next several years to create some really interesting options for it.

Super-Lightning Reflexes:

Awesome ships only

Rotate your ship 540 degrees.

Tony HWK Hwk only 0 points

Modification

Action: Rotate you ship 900 degrees. Throw your hands in the air ????? then win the game.

Edited by Panic 217

I'm the guy that would finish any RPG game full of potions (or equivalent). Please don't give me one-time use EPTs, I will never never understand how to use them.

One of the powerful things about these are that your opponent must plan against their power until you actually spend it, for fear that you're going to do so.

For 1 point, you have the option, but you can elect never to use it all game, and still have gained an advantage from that 1 point.

Adrenaline Rush, Inertial Dampeners, and now Lightning Reflexes, are all incredibly powerful discardables, that either get you an incredible advantage when you decide to use them, or give you a very subtle advantage if your opponent fears the other advantage, and all for 1 point a piece.

I'm the guy that would finish any RPG game full of potions (or equivalent). Please don't give me one-time use EPTs, I will never never understand how to use them.

One of the powerful things about these are that your opponent must plan against their power until you actually spend it, for fear that you're going to do so.

For 1 point, you have the option, but you can elect never to use it all game, and still have gained an advantage from that 1 point.

Adrenaline Rush, Inertial Dampeners, and now Lightning Reflexes, are all incredibly powerful discardables, that either get you an incredible advantage when you decide to use them, or give you a very subtle advantage if your opponent fears the other advantage, and all for 1 point a piece.

If only Munitions were feared the same way.

We're all in agreement that the Kazakhstan dial is better than the X-Wing dial, right?

I certainly think it is marginally better. The 1 hard turn is better than the 1 straight, I think, even with the loss of the 3 hard turn. It's the first ship that has greens on two sets of banks but green on only one straight, which is strange, but is marginally better than having green on two straights and only one set of banks. My dial scoring approach gives it a coefficient of 0.995 (compared to 1.0 for a TIE Fighter), vs 0.97 for the X-wing.

Edited by MajorJuggler

We're all in agreement that the Kazakhstan dial is better than the X-Wing dial, right?

I certainly think it is marginally better. The 1 hard turn is better than the 1 straight, I think, even with the loss of the 3 hard turn. It's the first ship that has greens on two sets of banks but green on only one straight, which is strange, but is marginally better than having green on two straights and only one set of banks. My dial scoring approach gives it a coefficient of 0.995 (compared to 1.0 for a TIE Fighter), vs 0.97 for the X-wing.

I'm gonna assume that your dial scoring is the sort of math that sits right between alchemy and science. Don't get me wrong: that's the sort of thinking that lead Newton to invent calculus, so it's useful! But darn that must be strange stuff. :)

(My own brain is the sort that looks at the Phantom Menace preroll and thinks "yes, taxation and trade! That's good stuff for a sci-fi movie that will feature the end of a Republic!")

More to the point: lets pretend that the 2 straight became white. What would the dial have to gain to make up for that?

Are you saying that if I equip a Greenie with Title, Adrenaline Rush, and Lightning Reflexes, I can spend AR, reveal a 5k and then use LR to turn around and effectively make a white 5 straight?

Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present to you the new 360!

MLG 360 NO SCOPE!!!!

I'm gonna assume that your dial scoring is the sort of math that sits right between alchemy and science. Don't get me wrong: that's the sort of thinking that lead Newton to invent calculus, so it's useful! But darn that must be strange stuff. :)

Halfway between alchemy and science is about right, at least until I get MathWing 3.0 fully up and running (if it ever happens). For now it's a sliding scale scored in various ways (hardest turn, shortest straight, stress removal, longest straight, special, etc), which you can read the gory details on in the full MathWing thread for specifics.

More to the point: lets pretend that the 2 straight became white. What would the dial have to gain to make up for that?

Wow, no green straights! That would be weird. No ship in the game has that! You would have to bank just to clear stress, hm... I don't think I have an easy answer for that one!  :P

If only Munitions were feared the same way.

Bombs are