Sign in to follow this  
Chucknuckle

Any replacement movement tools yet?

It's been a while since the game was released, but I don't see any replacement movement tools on the market yet? Given that the original one by FFG is a bit sub-standard IMO, I was hoping for something more robust and rigid from one of the usual suspects like Litko or Corsec or Applied Perspective, but nothing has appeared yet.

It's been a while since the game was released, but I don't see any replacement movement tools on the market yet? Given that the original one by FFG is a bit sub-standard IMO, I was hoping for something more robust and rigid from one of the usual suspects like Litko or Corsec or Applied Perspective, but nothing has appeared yet.

Likely issues with copyright in creating one. Even if it is a firm acrylic version

Without some creative engineering, rigid would be very bad for something like this. The need to click the joints back and forth would quickly result in things breaking. Something like this NEEDS to be is a soft plastic so that it has the give necessary to work. There aren't a lot of garage businesses with the tools to make something like that.

Maneuver tool my first core set was crap. I e-mail FFG and got a second one that was great. Second core set had a good one too. When it comes out as an option, I will buy a couple more for ***** and giggles.

Without some creative engineering, rigid would be very bad for something like this. The need to click the joints back and forth would quickly result in things breaking. Something like this NEEDS to be is a soft plastic so that it has the give necessary to work. There aren't a lot of garage businesses with the tools to make something like that.

I think a series of interlocking templates would be a suitable replacement. It would work sort of like stacking two or three X Wing maneuver templates end-on-end. Obviously you'd need some kind of system to keep them in place, but it wouldn't be hard to make the top end of one template fit into a magnetised socket on the bottom end of the next.

Sure, you'd need to carry around a small bag of them same as you do in X Wing, but you would also have a lot of freedom in putting different sized templates on the table, where currently the maneuver tool often gets in the way.

Edited by Chucknuckle

I think a series of interlocking templates would be a suitable replacement. It would work sort of like stacking two or three X Wing maneuver templates end-on-end. Obviously you'd need some kind of system to keep them in place, but it wouldn't be hard to make the top end of one template fit into a magnetised socket on the bottom end of the next.

Sure, you'd need to carry around a small bag of them same as you do in X Wing, but you would also have a lot of freedom in putting different sized templates on the table, where currently the maneuver tool often gets in the way.

You are talking about preset angles. It could work but you would need that and it would need to be notched.

Let's see how many variations are there with the tool shall we

I calculate well over 100 variations are possible with the tool (we don't use most of them atm but all but 1 click in speed 3 can be used and that is already roughly 50 variations as it is)

Edited by Lyraeus

Well, let's see here. Each segment is the same length. Assuming they are reversible, you would need 3 different templates to cover all possible moves at each segment; straight, 1 click and 2 clicks. So maximum that you should need would be 12 individual lengths.

But wait.... No ships now, and I doubt any ships in the future are going to be able to do 2 clicks at each joint up to speed 4, so we can thin them out a bit. Hmm. Rough guess, needing to cover bonus clicks from nav commands, you would need

4 straights

4 1-clicks

2 2-clicks

So, 10 total templates, less than x-wing has. Then you set them end on end based on the course you want to take.

Probably is disable, but would make pre-measuring harder and given that replacement tools are, what? $5, probably not worth it.

I am intrigued now though. I may have to work up some prototypes, just for fun to see if the concept works.

A Nebulon-B with Nav Team and raymus can get all but 2 click while at speed 3. The same 2 upgrades on a CR90 and you can get maxed out 2, 3, & 4 speed or a maxed out 1, & 4 speed.

Depending on how the MC30 moves that can change as well. . .

Well, let's see here. Each segment is the same length. Assuming they are reversible, you would need 3 different templates to cover all possible moves at each segment; straight, 1 click and 2 clicks. So maximum that you should need would be 12 individual lengths.

But wait.... No ships now, and I doubt any ships in the future are going to be able to do 2 clicks at each joint up to speed 4, so we can thin them out a bit. Hmm. Rough guess, needing to cover bonus clicks from nav commands, you would need

4 straights

4 1-clicks

2 2-clicks

So, 10 total templates, less than x-wing has. Then you set them end on end based on the course you want to take.

Probably is disable, but would make pre-measuring harder and given that replacement tools are, what? $5, probably not worth it.

I am intrigued now though. I may have to work up some prototypes, just for fun to see if the concept works.

That's what I'm talking about! Easy enough to transport and use, won't wear out over time, is more 'rigid' than the FFG one, can be customised in length so if you're only going at speed one, then you only need to use a speed one ruler. I think it's an idea with merit, if I had the right equipment I'd knock out a prototype to see how it plays, but sadly the best I could do would be make one out of cardboard :(

Cut the tool in acrylic. But make the Teeth (not the single tooth) area a bit wider in diameter, also there would need to be a slight recessed "ring" that an O-ring could rest in. The other piece of the tool would hold the ring in place. Now the rigid tooth has a soft area to work against while still getting "clicks". And if it's done right, wear is not an issue, as the O-Ring should be easily (and cheaply) replaceable.

Payments can be sent to my paypal. PM me for details ;)

I'm just saying but isn't asking for a third party company to make a movement tool on the original manufactures forums kinda crappy!? Let's be honest here. The tool will wear out but it's supercheap and they have them being released soon. I have played a lot of games with mine and it's no where near worn out yet.

Has there been anything new released? My measurement tool's card board tokens are getting jacked up. If someone only made plastic tokens for it. The ones listed above are gone company out of business or no more on Ebay....

On 9/1/2019 at 4:15 PM, Admiral Ro said:

Has there been anything new released? My measurement tool's card board tokens are getting jacked up. If someone only made plastic tokens for it. The ones listed above are gone company out of business or no more on Ebay....

Look up Admiral Tater on Etsy, his are very nice looking acrylic.

On 9/1/2019 at 4:15 PM, Admiral Ro said:

I second this. I bought his set and it's honest to goodness better than the acrylic prize kits direct from FFG. 

14 minutes ago, Cap116 said:

Look up Admiral Tater on Etsy, his are very nice looking acrylic.

On 9/1/2019 at 9:15 PM, Admiral Ro said:

Cog'o'two still make range rulers and other tokens.