Sign in to follow this  
Blail Blerg

What commands do you use? When?

Am I the only one who is not a CF fan?

I agree with the bank a Nav on turn one advice (though, rarely, you may want to bank a squadron or repair, but it's almost always nav). I find that later on, I tend to be hard-spamming either squadron commands (especially for something like Yavaris or GH), or I tend to be jamming through repair commands, as the amount I can do with a single repair on a ship with decent engineering is much larger than anyone is doing with a CF.

CF gives you one more die: .75 damage for red, .75 for blue, 1 for black in terms of expected damage. Against a shield, that's 2 engineering. Against hull, 3. Any big ship should think long and hard about spamming repair instead of CF, as your bang for the buck is better.

On small ships (CR90s, especially) I get more mileage out of CF, but I think the CF decision is different for something like a CR90 vs. a VSD.

Edited by Reinholt

The reason I've asked this is to get a little glimpse into what a varied amount of people believe are useful things to do from multiple experiences.  This lowers the amount I have to personally test.  

So you test it in one game and the idea works, your Maneuver, Squadron, Concentrate Fire x 3, Repair works.  Next game your opponent splits his deployment, comes in slower and the mission is different. Thus your pre-planned commands don't work quite as well.

What people are saying, and these people are playing multiple games, is that you have to play each game on the table as it happens on the table. Yes, a Maneuver is probably going to be worth banking in the first two turns as that allows you to, with a maneuver command change speed by +/- 2. But increasing speed by +2 on turn 4 is a pointless bit of advice because some games you'll fly past your opponents big guns and other times you blast right into them.

If you want an "auto-pilot" mode just take Tarkin and Weapons Liason and Spam Maneuver Commands. Then the only command that needs to be inserted is the Repair Command, the three command ships tend to take damage over several turns and a Tarkin Token will serve as an OK source of repairs in the turn before the dial comes up. However, you are giving up a small tactical advantage to an opponent who can play and use the sommands and tokens he plays as every time you change a command you spend a token and thus get nothing for it, where your opponent is getting the commands and the tokens effects.

What people are saying, and these people are playing multiple games, is that you have to play each game on the table as it happens on the table. Yes, a Maneuver is probably going to be worth banking in the first two turns as that allows you to, with a maneuver command change speed by +/- 2. But increasing speed by +2 on turn 4 is a pointless bit of advice because some games you'll fly past your opponents big guns and other times you blast right into them.

That's just it though. I expected people to say this, but most people replying in this thread ARE saying they use basically an auto pilot mode. And that is confusing to me.

I use the same commands for the first four turns. The last two turns I may change them, but usually don't. And I've found that this auto pilot mode is all I need, with competent maneuvering, to secure victory.

In simpler words, the dials are not as important as precise maneuvering is.

Edited by Darth Lupine

Not sure why people want to bank a nav token. When it comes to speed, I always, always start at max speed for every single ship, and I've never, never had reason to slow down. Indeed, speed is one of the things I use to run my opponent down. I only use nav dials on my Glads to add that extra yaw and to activate engine techs.

And I've been told I could run out of the table....no, no I'm not. That's simply competent maneuvering. I've never even come close to running a ship off the table.

See, I always start my Imperials at speed one. Wait, and let my enemies come to me, then pounce. I find a clever opponent is quick to circle to the flanks and rear of fast moving Star Destroyers.

Depends strongly on my list and the individual ships.

Mostly, a VSD is the core of my fleet and on most occasions it will start with a Nav, then a squad and than a repair command.

My Glad starts with a nav and wulff ensures it won't get used up and than mostly a repair.

If I use the Dominator VSDII, I never concentrate fire but instead use repairs (as they do essentially the same, but provide two dice instead of one).

on a VSD i usually take squadron turn 3-4, and if by turn 4 when i have to choose a command and i'm pointed at my opponents table edge i will always take a nav command, just in case i need the 2 yaw to avoid going off the table, i learned this testing on my own table by seeing just how much a VSD can turn.