Sign in to follow this  
chipset35

Just purchased Star Wars Armada: Looking for a Play May/Battle Mat

I am thinking of going to a craft store we have here in the USA called "Michaels" and see what inexpensive high quality mats I can create.

I will share what I find as I dont feel like paying a minimum of $70 for a mouse pad material type mat.

Felt is horrible to play on. I tried it with X-Wing and after at most two matches, it was tossed.

I've used a Gale Force Nine mat ever since, and never regretted it.

I like felt though. I have a FFG mat and GF9 mat and I like the FFG one better. Hmmm there was a guy who created an armada map file for people to print on a banner material

Felt is horrible to play on. I tried it with X-Wing and after at most two matches, it was tossed.

I like felt though. I have a FFG mat and GF9 mat and I like the FFG one better. Hmmm there was a guy who created an armada map file for people to print on a banner material
I had a custom felt mat printed by Deep Cut Studios, I don't mind sharing the source image (already scaled and prepped for high-quality printing) for others to use.

This is what it looks like in use:

20150610_201809.jpg

The original file is based on an European Southern Observatory capture of the Prawn Nebula, and is made up of six 3x3' tiles:

Prawn%20Layout.jpg

My 6x3 print consists of areas A+B:

Prawn%20Nebula%20Slice%20A-B%20150dpi.pn

...and tiles nicely with my friend's print of areas D+E. Of course, other subsets are also possible, such as A+D.

I also prepared tiles for the Carina nebula:

Carina%20Layout.jpg

If anyone wants the files, just PM me :)

I had a custom felt mat printed by Deep Cut Studios, I don't mind sharing the source image (already scaled and prepped for high-quality printing) for others to use.

This is what it looks like in use:

20150610_201809.jpg

The original file is based on an European Southern Observatory capture of the Prawn Nebula, and is made up of six 3x3' tiles:

Prawn%20Layout.jpg

My 6x3 print consists of areas A+B:

Prawn%20Nebula%20Slice%20A-B%20150dpi.pn

...and tiles nicely with my friend's print of areas D+E. Of course, other subsets are also possible, such as A+D.

I also prepared tiles for the Carina nebula:

Carina%20Layout.jpg

If anyone wants the files, just PM me :)

Hiya DA,

So Deep-Cut offer custom images? I never knew that! :D

How much did it cost you, roughly? Would love to go down this route for mine :)

How much did it cost you, roughly? Would love to go down this route for mine :)

42 GBP for a 6'x3' felt mat, +10 GBP for the customization, +10 GBP for shipping.

Not cheap, but worth it. At the same time I also bought a 3'x3' vinyl mat for X-Wing and to compare materials. I have to say I like the wrinkle-free practicality of the vinyl, but the colour and feel of the felt make it the superior choice in my eyes.

Nevertheless, I hear Gamemat.eu are preparing to release Armada-sized mousepad-style rubber mats, which will be totally epic if they choose the right artwork (their initial draft was godawful).

There is a Kickstarter campaign that is fully funded, but still has 6 days to go (as of the time of this posting), that offers a 6' x 3' playing surface. I bought in for the combo pack of one 3' x 3' and one 6' x 3'. Planning on using the 6' x 3' for both Armada and Epic X-Wing. The magnetic feature may not work great for Armada but it'll be super to have a high quality 6' x 3' surface. I currently play on two 3' x 3' surfaces, kinda sucks that most of the game is played on the seam. 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamersdoor/magnetic-war-mats-fix-the-slip

Just a thought, I did a quick search for 3x6 vinyl signs and the following link has a printer that does it for 46.00. If you can get your star map printed on it then it's a win win.

http://www.halfpricebanners.com/product/13-oz-standard-banner-3x6

Also Lowes or Home Depot would have ply wood they can cut to 3x6 or do 3x2 and use hinges to create a flat surface underneath.

Edited by Cubanboy

**** that magnetic mat thing sounded ace, but the jerks don't ship to australia on that campaign :(   (disclaimer they are not jerks, and the idea is awesome it's just the word that sums up my frustration at not being able to get it as a backer)

There is a Kickstarter campaign that is fully funded, but still has 6 days to go (as of the time of this posting), that offers a 6' x 3' playing surface. I bought in for the combo pack of one 3' x 3' and one 6' x 3'. Planning on using the 6' x 3' for both Armada and Epic X-Wing. The magnetic feature may not work great for Armada but it'll be super to have a high quality 6' x 3' surface. I currently play on two 3' x 3' surfaces, kinda sucks that most of the game is played on the seam. 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamersdoor/magnetic-war-mats-fix-the-slip

My buddy is a Kickstarter junkie and sent me the link for that a few hours ago. ****... Kinda tempting, but I'm just as happy playing on a wood table. $80 buys a few more ships or keeps my wallet full.

I have a felt mat from Hotz Mats and it's held up beautifully to a lot of gameplay (several years worth).  It's got a sprayed on protective layer so it's not as grabby as regular felt, and it looks great (see examples on their website).  Their customer service isn't the greatest, and production can take a while (up to a couple of months) but it's a quality product.  Mine's a 4'x6' so I've taped it off to be 3'x6', but they have a 3'x6' available.  Price is about $60 (USD) including shipping.

Full disclosure:  They're based here in Vancouver and Mr. Hotz plays at our local gaming club, so even though I've never spoken with him I might be a bit biased.