Sign in to follow this  
Zenmasterkel

Core Set and the Lost Realm exapansion

I would advise a second core set with the Lost Realm box, and playing it on easy. (Without a second core set I imagen most later boxes to be very difficult.)

I think any box is good, as long as you have a second core set - and know about easy mode. Which is online available for old scenarios, too.

I would advise a second core set with the Lost Realm box, and playing it on easy. (Without a second core set I imagen most later boxes to be very difficult.)

I think any box is good, as long as you have a second core set - and know about easy mode. Which is online available for old scenarios, too.

Not true regarding Easy Mode... Every quest has easy mode... You can see it here

If you want to be up to date, I would rather go with the Treason of Saruman box : badass heroes, very good player cards and cool new quest mechanics. I thought that the Lost Realm quests were very fun and well done, but the player cards are a mixed bag; the box supports the Dunedain trait, but it,s a work in progress. The Saruman box supports (in part) the Rohan trait, which is already well implemented in the core set. And yes, if you can get a second core set, it's great advice, I think!

I'd recommend Khazad-Dum and the Dwarrowdelf cycle first.  The Lost Realm quests are going to be really tough with just a core set or two.  The Dwarrowdelf cycle has a lot of great player cards and the quests are pretty good.

Suggesting to buy another core set is a big expense I can't possibly recommend, unless maybe you have another enthusiastic friend wanting to also get into the game. I really felt like either the Khazad-Dum or the Voice of Isengard boxes and their cycles were pretty good. Both have fun player cards and fun quests that are totally doable without a huge card pool, and have the quests I enjoy revisiting most. The initial mirkwood cycle is a trade off: not all quests are fun to replay, but they are all comfortably beatable with good deck building, and the player cards can be seen as a kind of expanded core set, and also they don't require a big box for the cycle, only the core set.

I second the notion against buying a 2nd Core Set.  It is not value for money.  Instead, buy 1 or 2 saga (The Black Riders and, maybe, The Road Darkens) or 1 deluxe expansion (maybe, Khazaddum) + 1 or 2 of its APs.

If you want to be up to date, I would rather go with the Treason of Saruman box : badass heroes, very good player cards and cool new quest mechanics. I thought that the Lost Realm quests were very fun and well done, but the player cards are a mixed bag; the box supports the Dunedain trait, but it,s a work in progress. The Saruman box supports (in part) the Rohan trait, which is already well implemented in the core set. And yes, if you can get a second core set, it's great advice, I think!

I hope you mean Voice of Isengard! Treason of Saruman is a saga box and would be not only very difficult but also very unthematic and weird for someone who only has the core set.