Sign in to follow this  
Filbert

More terrain features

I hope to see an expansion featuring nothing but a wide range of new terrain hexes. I really like the look of the board and terrain tiles, but hills, forrests, water and houses are not enough in my opinion. What about mountains, swamps, lava, debris, roads other buildings like castles, camps, ruins...? in one word: All the cool stuff you find in the iOS-Version? And one more thing: Providing the option to combine two gameboards for epic battles was nearly the best feature of BLV1. Why is that missing? What do you think? By the way: I'm not a native speaker - so please excuse my strange choice of words here and there .

I like some of those ideas, but others seem like they may not work as well. From a thematic perspective, you want a diverse setting for your battles to take place, but the question you have to ask is, "How will this impact game play?"

I think mountains might be too big. Swamps could be neat, but other than stopping movement like a forest, what would they do? I like the idea of Lava. But would it be impassable or would it be a 1-hit-kill if you were forced to retreat into it? How would you differentiate castle hexes from other buildings? Would they work the same, mechanically, or would they have a new feature?

For my personal tastes, I haven't grown tired of forests, hills, rivers, and buildings. I think it has plenty of depth as it is. I fear that too many new terrain tiles will make the game too complicated. But maybe I'm wrong.

Gameplay wise, I'd like to think we'll eventually see:

Steep cliffs - Terrain that blocks movement and LOS.  I agree "Mountains" doesn't sound right at this game scale.

Swamps - Terrain that restricts movement/combat (like a Forest) but not LOS.

Roads - 1 extra move if you only move along the road.  Chaos Lords rejoice! :P

Remember Memoir 44? Additional gameboards (snow and desert), many different terrain tiles featuring several buildings, rice fields, jungle, canyons, mountains (yes!),... I think, BattleloreV2 could be a more narrative game, when it comes to campaigns. And I would love to display that on the gameboard. I know, it does not affect rules, but why does every building have the same design? The Star Wars playmat simply makes the game look better. You really do not need it. But it strongly pushes the look and feel. That's what would like to see for Battlelore (plus terrain rules of course). Putting two BL2 gameboards together? I guess due to the three sections, that is not possible. Did I get something wrong?

I have just about the whole collection for Memoir 44 (Minus Overlord and the single-sheet scenarios) and I get your point, but it's not something I'd list as a priority.  If you put out different terrain map boards you then need desert hills and forests and snowy hills and forests and so on.  Different terrain types and effects are nice too, but you're adding to the list of tiny things to remember or put on a reference sheet.  I'd prefer they keep things more streamlined, but that's just me.  Personally... I thought the Memoir 44 Terrain Pack was my least useful purchase.

You can certainly make an "epic" Battlelore by putting two gameboards together, just like you do in Memoir 44 Overlord.  You just treat 2 sections as one, so the 2 left most sections are the left, the middle two sections are the middle, etc.

I've been thinking about this more and it's not so much new tiles that concern me as much as how they're implemented. Currently, you get the majority of your tiles from the scenario card. Those are printed and done for two factions. What we see with a lot of the new tiles is that you choose where to put them after revealing armies or you replace certain tiles (Razorwing cave and Giant rubble). Personally, I find this rather clunky. It doesn't excite me to imagine a day when I have a dozen optional hexes to deploy.

I'd much rather see new terrain in scenario cards or as part of a campaifn book rather than being optional cards to add/replace other tiles on the board. I could see them producing a campaign guide in the future with a double-sided board that has desert on one side and rock on the other or something. But Daverman brings up a good point about existing tiles not matching the aesthetic since they have green tones to match the grass.