Sign in to follow this  
Lord Kruge

Rest of the 40k line

They'd be fools not to do more with the 40k IP, so chances are good they'll remake the old games. Or do something new entirely.

As far as I know, no official news.

I guess they are too busy with the Star Wars RPG lines. :P

The SW team is busy, sure. Busy sleeping on beds made of money in between coke binges funded by the sale of a trillion tiny x-wings.

The B team they put on DH2 not so much.

They are doing something with the 40k IP, just today another preview came out for Forbidden Stars:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/6/16/let-the-galaxy-burn/

And they are still busy with Dark Heresy 2nd Edition. Question will be for how long though..., based on Black Crusade and Only War sudden stop...

Every Ordos will most likely be represented by a separate book, so you can count on at least 2 more supplements. Nothing is guaranteed after that.

Edited by Gridash

I gotta say though, its rather odd that there are, at least as far as I can tell, no current books on the horizon for DH2e. Obviously they gotta have something, at least the 2 remaining splat books for Xenos and Malleus. But the lack of any info or announcement of their vaguest existence is a bit troubling.

Couple that with what appears to be an extremely sub-par reception of DH2e, and its not a recipie for anything good.

There's nothing odd about it. DH2 was a lukewarm turd and they're not going to throw good money after bad. I wouldn't be surprised if the remaining supplements (that haven't actually ever been announced from what I can tell) get consolidated or canceled altogether.

They're making 40k boardgames because boardgames are having their renaissance moment now and actually do sell well.

If Forum traffic is any indication, Rogue Trader still has a strong following, making it a good candidate for a Second Edition. Of course, the Only War Forum has a lot of traffic, too, but there has been no word about anything new there (even though one of the last books featured special add-ons for half the Specialties, indicating that there should be a subsequent book adding to the other half of the Specialties).

Who knows? The 40K universe is wildly popular- except when compared to Star Wars...

Indeed. I like the adventure set on a starship in Forgotten Gods - pushing that kind of ship adventure - where it's much more narrative - works fine for me, and I'm not sure I'm as much of a fan of the 'custom built ships' that were very much a part of Rogue Trader - the starship operations rules felt clunky and combat never felt like the kilometre-long moving cities it was supposed to be.

Large-scale boarding actions and more narrative naval battles are what I'd prefer. Stuff like the boarding of the star fort in No Surrender is perfect, especially if we get supporting artwork. It never felt right that an hour-long boarding action across a kilometre-long starship was just a single command check....

It'll be interesting to see if we get expanded Deathwatch/Grey Knights stuff in the Xenos and Malleus books. We've already got the presence of eldar lampshaded within Aeskelleon, so sanctioned xenos allies (not exactly 'acolytes' as PCs isn't impossible either).

I'm also sure that the bulk of the RPG team is focused on Star Wars - (a) it's a bigger IP, and (b) Episode VII means that even if it wasn't (it is), this year it would be. Plus, as noted, X-wing and Armada cause a lot of cross-over business.

We're only a couple of months post release of Enemies Within, though, so I'm not getting too stressed yet.

Has FFG stated any plans for Rogue Trader 2, Deathwatch 2, etc?  Are all the v1 lines dead at this point?

I seem to recall, when DH2 was still in development, that the developers very specifically stated that they would not be doing a 2nd edition of any of the other lines.  Of course, that's not to say that they won't or haven't changed their minds.

Has FFG stated any plans for Rogue Trader 2, Deathwatch 2, etc?  Are all the v1 lines dead at this point?

I seem to recall, when DH2 was still in development, that the developers very specifically stated that they would not be doing a 2nd edition of any of the other lines.  Of course, that's not to say that they won't or haven't changed their minds.

I always read that as FFG not wanting to Osborne themselves.

Maybe they wanted to see how successful DH2 would be first before getting people's hopes up.  

-And do we know how successful/unsuccessful DH2 was? I know it wasn't anywhere near the event that the launch on DH1 was, but that doesn't mean it wasn't profitable. Anyone inside the gaming biz have any insight into this?

Maybe they wanted to see how successful DH2 would be first before getting people's hopes up.  

-And do we know how successful/unsuccessful DH2 was? 

Based only on what I've seen on DriveThruRPG, it doesn't appear to have been an abysmal failure; but that's very limited and relative information.  The core book was in the top five for months after its release, and the first supplement (after about two months) is still in the top 20 (with most of the stuff above it being from the very popular Shadowrun).  But again, there's a lot of factors which this doesn't take into account. 

An equally incomplete picture, but you can look at FFG's own site to gauge how successful it's been. Compare DH2 to a game like Edge of the Empire. The DH2 forums are depopulated and inactive, while EotE's are packed. The product page for EotE has TONS of material and there's even a link to the FFG dice app, while the DH2 page has only a few products and nothing new announced. FFG is making loads of SW stuff (RPG and otherwise) because it is hugely profitable. They're making 40k boardgames but not much in the RPG department because it is nowhere near as popular.

It be funny if some players just hijacked the line - copied the whole book - then made the errata changes then - forumed new materials - then voted on what to include - then put it all together and publish it for free - yeah that be real funny, I'm sure the Corporate Entity would just love that LMFAO

I bet it has a lot to do with the resurgence in Star Wars popularity provoked by the new movies. As a game company, it would be a bit foolish not to ride the wave of free pubilicty as hard as you can.

Also, we have to admit it, 40k is pretty niche compared to Star Wars. Most people that don't play tabletop games have most likely ever heard of 40k, while everey random Joe you walk by on the street has at least a basic idea of what Star Wars is. As such, there's probably much more cash to be made with Star Wars games than 40k games, at least until GW rolls over and FFG picks up the whole IP :)

I wonder what the effect on popularity would be if they made a movie about 40k, and as an action/horror movie. Real actors and stuff, not all 3D crap and maybe using a Dark Heresy investigation setting.

What I dislike about Star Wars now is how much it got "kiddiefied" over the years. The old trilogy seemed so dark back then, granted maybe this is just nostalgia on my part.

Edited by Gridash

A lot of the issue is they ( Games Workshop &FFG) are looking to max the profits for the minimum spent.  This is why that they have to put out errata out almost before the books hit the stores.  Editors are failing to catch basic errors.  With the economy not doing so hot for their customers overall is cutting into their profits for the games.  What they also need it a movie or tv mini series to drive sales for all their Warhammer products.  They have so much material that they could do shows for years and never "damage" the fluff of the game.

Edited by Superraiderman

... at least until GW rolls over and FFG picks up the whole IP :)

*the crowd goes wild... !*

GW going belly-up would be the best thing to happen to the IP. They clearly have no idea how to turn it into money while FFG clearly does. With full control over it instead of GW editing them I'm sure it'd be amazing.

Quite so, and did I mention the binding of my Core DH2 rulebook came apart (yet again?). 

Contact FFG and they will likely replace it. They know how bad the first batch was.

What I dislike about Star Wars now is how much it got "kiddiefied" over the years. The old trilogy seemed so dark back then, granted maybe this is just nostalgia on my part.

It's not just you. Go watch some clips of Eps 1-3 on youtube. It is downright painful. They were bad movies. Nobody noticed because of the hype of Eps 1-3 actually getting made.  Lucas actually said they were for kids (at least of Ep 1).

Actually, just go watch the Red Letter media reviews of the movies. The videos are half as long as the movie and 10 times as entertaining because they spend the entire time crapping on the movies and Lucas.

Lucas actually said they were for kids (at least of Ep 1).

Yes, and what could be more enthralling for a kid than a movie about politics and trade disputes.   :blink:

Actually, just go watch the Red Letter media reviews of the movies. The videos are half as long as the movie and 10 times as entertaining because they spend the entire time crapping on the movies and Lucas.

This!  Those reviews are well worth the time if you haven't seen them.  I think my favorite segment was Part 5 of the review of Episode II, in which he breaks down the shoddy love story between Anakin and Padme. 

Lucas' pandering to children started well before Episode 1: the Ewoks from Return of the Jedi were supposed to be Wookies, but Lucas decided to scrap his original vision and make them cutsie to sell more toys...

Edited by Adeptus-B