Sign in to follow this  
at0milich

How smart is a servitor

Did you have a look at the new units?

The new AdMech Codex? Not really, apart from what little I picked up on the internets. It is probably part jealousy, but I also don't really dig their looks (too much steampunk, not enough 40k), and it seems that the current edition of the tabletop has in general veered away from the aesthetics and narrative style I had appreciated for almost 20 years, which makes me a sour grognard. :P

Did you have a look at the new units?

The new AdMech Codex? Not really, apart from what little I picked up on the internets. It is probably part jealousy, but I also don't really dig their looks (too much steampunk, not enough 40k), and it seems that the current edition of the tabletop has in general veered away from the aesthetics and narrative style I had appreciated for almost 20 years, which makes me a sour grognard. :P

If you're saying the AdMech look too human in the new codices, I agree. Not sure why they're prettifying the style. Reminds me of how Elder Scrolls Online looks or acts nothing like Elder Scrolls.

So basically I subscribe to the "Titanicus" and "Priests of Mars" visions of Skiitari.

Edited by Utherix

Which is funny, because the skitarii codex's pictures/models is almost exactly how I pictured them a nearly 20 years ago when I started playing. The Techno-barbarians or can't-even-find-a-person-in-here troops that show up in some of the Black Library books were the ones that felt out of place to me. But then, I also like the steam & diesel punk influances on 40k, and liked the new Robot models (with their 50's SciFi look) so I'm clearly in the internet minority.

Me I'm a bit devided about the new admech models:

My first reaction was: those aren't the ones from the booooks... But i warmed up to them, also because the novel versions had this primitive warrior vibe wich seemed at odd with the rest of the admech. I really like how some of their guns have juuust enough 30's raygun style to them.

I'm with Lyn about them having a lot of steam- (well actualy its more of a diesel)punk vibe to them, those stupid walkers and the awesome onager dune crawlers.

cult mechanicus (**** you GW for making me buy two codexes!) fianlly gave us kataphron servitors: the cool tracked ones with lots of guns, pretty much as tehy are in the novels.

I love the battle robots! they look like hulkbuster ironman crossed with a big daddy. But what i really like about them is the references to how they worked in rogue trader: with the programming/ protocols. Also having the Legio Cybernetica (yay! flashback to good old times!) be refered to as "The Host Robotic" sounded real nice.

Now the fulgurite electro priests: Good god! what metal album cover did these guys escape from? They'd fit right in the new mad max movie actually. And priests worshiping electricity to teh point they become living batteries does feel very admech.

Books, as in novels? Okay, I haven't read any of them and am going solely by descriptions and images in earlier studio material such as the Codex Imperialis - although I'd say miniatures such as the Enginseer and various Servitors already established a visual guideline for the Mechanicus when it comes to the figures, too.

A huge problem is, I think, the "greebling" that has befallen the franchise like some sort of illness. It looks as if the designers are just slapping additional detail on the miniatures for the sole reason to have it there, not because it'd look good. I've noticed this being a change in trend when it comes to the Space Marines, too, or their new version of Storm Troopers. And personally, I really don't like it, as I'd prefer something more sensible and something more in line with earlier images. It may look less unique, but it also looks less silly. :P

You are right! It really bugs me with chaos! (okay rogue trader chaos marines also had like twisted armor shapes and stuff) but with the new minis its hard to tel the "normal" guys fron the posessed squads. I want some brutal and unornamented world eaters, dammit!

This:

kharn3.jpg

not this:

20140122_chaos_space_marine_chosen.jpg