Sign in to follow this  
Darth Lupine

Veteran captain....

The place I have fallen in love with the veteran captain is on the command 3 ships.  The most useful part of him, is being able to generate a maneuver token at any point.  Being able to change speed any time is huge. 

On my local meta, turn one, you Always take a maneuver token.  The veteran captain, for 3 points, lets you get another one, late game, when you need it.  It can be huge.  

Imagine a VSD that has been reduced to speed zero because of a crit, being able to move back to speed 1 next turn, rather than 3 turns later is game changing.

The place I have fallen in love with the veteran captain is on the command 3 ships.  The most useful part of him, is being able to generate a maneuver token at any point.  Being able to change speed any time is huge. 

On my local meta, turn one, you Always take a maneuver token.  The veteran captain, for 3 points, lets you get another one, late game, when you need it.  It can be huge.  

Imagine a VSD that has been reduced to speed zero because of a crit, being able to move back to speed 1 next turn, rather than 3 turns later is game changing.

Still seems fairly niche to me.... One of the cool things I've found (although I may be wrong on this) is that if the card is used and so actually discarded it doesn't count as part of the point total you opponent receives for destroying the ship.

I could see it as a pretty nice 1-shot tractor beam insurance.

Personally, I use them on Yavaris in my Garm list, like FGD said above.  It approximates the pseudo-expanded hangar bay effect of Raymus, for cheaper, and with the extra flexibility of being able to pop a nav or eng if you really need it.  Because I almost always just spam Squadron on Yavaris, I find that my squadron token usage by turn goes:

1 - None

2 - None

3 - Garm token 1

4 - VC token

5 - Garm token 2

6 - Squadrons are dead, Yavaris is dead, or opponent is dead

Which means you really only risk missing out on a token as compared to Raymus if you close really fast and need them on turn 2 (doesn't happen too often) or if you're playing Fleet Ambush.

With the release of Support Officer, I think the role of the Vet Captain has changed to : what if I need that extra token on a turn, rather than getting contingencies.

This is a very good point, but I think the good thing about Vet Cap is that he gives you the flexibility to both maximize a preplanned command, like a repair on a big guy or squads on Yavaris, while also providing you the flexibility to deal with the unexpected.

I am tempted to try them out. While playing there is always at least once per game where having a token would really help. I'm much better than i used to be at command dial management, these days i always seem to have the right command for the situation. Even with that being the case, i still have that one specific situation around turn 4ish that an additional token would make a big difference.

Veteran Captains allow you a huge amount of flexibility. He can speed your ship up/down in a clutch moment, allow you to gain back/rearrange shields (very useful for Rebs with their broadsides where only one or two hull zones are taking damage), or (as others have said) act as a one-turn expanded Hangar. He's cheap and universally useful. Like, when would you go through a game without using his ability? Never. I think he's a great use of the officer slot.

Veteran Captains allow you a huge amount of flexibility. He can speed your ship up/down in a clutch moment, allow you to gain back/rearrange shields (very useful for Rebs with their broadsides where only one or two hull zones are taking damage), or (as others have said) act as a one-turn expanded Hangar. He's cheap and universally useful. Like, when would you go through a game without using his ability? Never. I think he's a great use of the officer slot.

To further your ideas, I currently use a Vet Cap with SW7s on a Raider II. Well, two of those. The Captain allows them to double up on Commands in a pinch, or do two disparate things as needed. Emergency Rhymer activation? Move a shield? Drop an additional point of Speed? Reroll that Die you added? The versatility alone is worth the 6 points.

Edited by RazelKorr

To further your ideas, I currently use a Vet Cap with SW7s on a Raider II. Well, two of those. The Captain allows them to double up on Commands in a pinch, or do two disparate things as needed. Emergency Rhymer activation? Move a shield? Drop an additional point of Speed? Reroll that Die you added? The versatility alone is worth the 6 points.

Vet. Captain cost 3 points ;)

He said "on a Raider II. Well, two of those"....

I play rebells and stil find the Vcaptain as some wasted points..

IMHO of course...

Maybe if I give him a try, he would show me that i'm rong .....

He said "on a Raider II. Well, two of those"....

I play rebells and stil find the Vcaptain as some wasted points..

IMHO of course...

Maybe if I give him a try, he would show me that i'm rong .....

Sorry I didn't read that detail, I've must have been destracted by that ewok snowball that hit my in the head :lol:

I used to put Wulf on the Demolisher to get a constant supply of Nav tokens to utilise the Engine Techs.

Since Demolisher tends to get stuck into vicious close range combat it often doesn't last long so I switched to Veteran Captain to get me an emergency Nav token at the vital moment.

I love him. I equip him on my ships all the time, for all the reasons posted above. My biggest gripe however, is that I forget to use him! My fault, not his, of course, but part of it is the timing of the commands. I always think about it just a bit too late...