Sign in to follow this  
Drazek Ironwing

Why is Darth Vader rubbish?

He's not rubbish: he's the most powerful and terrifying figure in the game.

He's just a little spendy.

No his biggest problem is he's only terrifying so long as you just stand and fight him. If you can avoid him, then he's not doing much.

He's not rubbish: he's the most powerful and terrifying figure in the game.

He's just a little spendy.

No his biggest problem is he's only terrifying so long as you just stand and fight him. If you can avoid him, then he's not doing much.

Well, there's some truth to that, but Vader can Force Choke.  There's plenty of other 4 speed characters too.

I'd like to see Vader get a free skirmish upgrade attachment that let him gain one (maybe two) free movement points at the beginning of the turn. I think that'd go a long way towards making him worth his points.

Or maybe something like "Dread: at the beginning of each round, choose 2 units within x spaces, they cannot exit their spaces this round." 

Basically, something to help keep units from just kiting Vader.

I'd like to see Vader get an actual Skirmish card, and have his current card be campaign only. Reduce his cost by 4, and make him flat out immune to all harmful conditions.

Hell, I would even pay $10 to have them release a new Vader as an expansion, complete with an alternate sculpt model, new command cards, skirmish upgrades/map/mission/ and campaign bits.

But let's be real. What is really going to happen is that Vader is going lost in the shuffle of old ways in favor of the new.

Edited by Fizz

There actually is design space already in place for multiple versions of characters.  While I would hate to have the current Vader rendered obsolete there is nothing stopping them from releasing a version of Vader that focuses more on leadership, force powers, or some other aspect of his abilities.  Just as I expect there to eventually be a version of Luke from Return of the Jedi that as an alternative to his current A New Hope incarnation.  

The problem with vader and most of the early uniques is a very common mistake in game design. Overvaluing single, powerful attacks. It's very common for novice, and even experienced, game designers to think that an attack that does twice as much damage (on average) is twice as good and so should be costed twice as much, but that is rarely the case because if that attack is targeting something with really low health then most of the damage is going to be wasted. That's why in a lot of games, especially early in their life, spamming inexpensive swarm units is so powerful.

The problem is he doesn't hit twice as hard as the 3 squads of storm troopers he's replacing.  He hits 1/6th as hard, has 1/2 the health and can do 1/9th the objectives.  His great defense doesn't compensate for all of that.