Sign in to follow this  
stuffedskullcat

Heavily modified Firespray-31

Hi all! Finally had the drive to paint the first Firespray I ever purchased, right when the wave was released and before I was even playing. Since then, I've acquired three more F-31s, repainted two of those, with plans to repaint the last as Boba.

Right when I got this one, I immediately started cutting it apart, initially messed up the canopy by carving into it intending to fill it with a grid of support beams, and adding components from carved-up bits from Wizards of the Coast's Star Wars miniature line: the lower fins are from the WotC Slave 1, the cockpit is from an Eta-2, with other bits and some (very sloppy) plasticard.

I imagine the pilot just wanting to bulk up the cockpit of the ship to reduce vulnerability (not as much transparisteel to shoot at), add armor, and give it a slightly distinguished profile. The guns are roughly the same size, but are in fact metal guns from some other set, possibly Reaper.

Just glad I finally painted it, and I can take it off the workbench and onto the table!

2015-06-12%2014.34.31.jpg2015-06-12%2014.34.40.jpg2015-06-12%2014.34.56.jpg2015-06-12%2014.34.49.jpg2015-06-12%2014.35.15.jpg

I'm not sure 'heavily modified' is a fitting description. The nighmare offspring of a Decepticon and half a Borg Sphere seems more accurate. ;)

Now I'm not completely certain but some parts of this conversion comes from a Sith infiltrator ship, right?

Lol, good eye! Mainly the front panel, and I think the armor panels on the top wings... been a long time since I first put it together.

Decepticon/Borg is apt! It also kind of reminds me of the Reavers from Firefly/Serenity.

Dang, that is a beast! Nice work!

I gather that the white/cream engine exhaust is due to the fact that in order to move what was already a heavily-armoured prison transport, the pilot has also drastically modified the engines to be able to cope with all that added mass, so they're always burning white-hot; there is no cool spot in their exhaust.

Looks great.  The only issue I have is that it seems you went a bit overboard with the OSL for the engines.  When doing OSL, you want to remember that light can't pass through solid objects.  So when you are painting it, you want to try and make sure the light follows a natural path, stopping when it hits a hard angle.