Sign in to follow this  
SPECPOL

X-Wingers Anonymous

My g-d ... $500 is the threshold at which point I should know I have an issue?

I have more than $3,000 invested in this game.  And I haven't even played the game yet.

Pretty sure I am way past having an issue ...  :P

Not a single game? I've been seeing you here for a while, and  I thought spending the amounts I've spent were crazy but atleast I play the game a few times a week. Go play a game with the next person you see you owe it to yourself!!!

I started with this game from the beginning ... Like many others, I enjoy all things Sy-Fy, and especially Star Wars.  I am, however, unlike most others in one respect ... I am far, far older than most of you.

I am fortunate to be able to enjoy the things I like, to the extent that I like, without it being an issue.  Unfortunately for me, I have spent the better part of the past few years with doctors, in the hospital, etc.  So, while I have everything, I have no opportunity to play the game itself.  Still, I have received much enjoyment from the game by collecting the expansions, reading the posts on this forum, etc.

My ability to play the game should change in about 1 month, as I will be done with most tests, out of the hospital, and with a good friend who enjoys gaming as much as I.  What time I have left will be spent enjoying all forms of gaming, including X-Wing.

Fella if i was in your state I'd DRIVE to your hospital, put a small board on the bed and play a game with you!

Unfortunately i'm in the UK.   Im hoping to vacation in Vegas in the foreseeable future but im hoping you'll be out of hospital as i wont be going there for at least 12 months.  :(

Must be someone in here in Nevada who could visit you and play a quick game with you.  Even if its just the core set intro?

Also it's well known the 12 steps don't work for 95% of people.

My mothers a recovering alcoholic.  Drinking caused her to pretty much P*** the family estate away, lose my inheritance, lose her family, some of her teeth, break her hips falling over etc.   I considered myself without parents for about 15 years as she just abused my love and trust, ripped me off about £4000, told people in my very conservative home town that i was a gay heroin addict* (thats enough to get you lynched where i come from).

She totally kicked smoking and drinking in one go through sheer willpower (doctors said shes lucky it didnt kill her) and now we're friends again and i see her regularly but it wasted 20 years of her life.

The point im going to make though is that she does total abstinence like most programs insist on but recently studies have shown that actually learning to drink responsibly and have say a glass of wine at a wedding and then leave it alone after is actually more likely to keep someone from relapsing than total abstinence.

At the moment abstinence is working for her so i dont have the heart to tell her about the other option.

But my dad died when i was 19 and my mum started drinking then... she almost totally destroyed her life.

Most people really don't know how badly addiction to things destroys families.

Addiction to anything where your reason goes out of the window to get more (physical or psychological addicitons).   My uncle on my mums side has likewise wrecked his life by being addicted to taking risks.  He builds up business's , does well with them and doesnt know when to stop and ends up losing it all...  time and time again.  He's either filthy rich or dead broke.

Im just glad i seem to have skipped that gene and am able to moderate my behaviour and likes.

(edit: for the record i've never been either, i'm a happily married guy with a wife who looks like Howlrunner :)  )

Edited by Gadge

Guys and Gals relax. It is Star Wars, 10 years down the line we will be rolling in money when we sell our collections. Investing in Star Wars stuff is a goldmine. (As long as Disney does not screw up!)

Fella if i was in your state I'd DRIVE to your hospital, put a small board on the bed and play a game with you!

Unfortunately i'm in the UK.   Im hoping to vacation in Vegas in the foreseeable future but im hoping you'll be out of hospital as i wont be going there for at least 12 months.  :(

Must be someone in here in Nevada who could visit you and play a quick game with you.  Even if its just the core set intro?

I appreciate the sentiments.  My buddy comes in around the beginning of July.  By mid-July, we should be knee deep in gaming (not just X-Wing).

It will be interesting to actually play a game of X-Wing.  Other than just testing things out with 2 TIEs, 1 X-Wing, and no upgrades, it will be daunting to determine where to begin.  I have so many **** ships, upgrade cards, etc.   :P

Obviously, I can leverage much of the knowledge I have gained on this site, X-Wing List Juggler, X-Wing Squad Ranker, X-Wing Squad Builder, etc. to come up with lists to play ... but to be honest, I think I will just choose ships I want to fly to have fun, even if they make no sense in a competitive setting.

After all, the point for me is to game and have fun ... and not get all caught up in the current and/or past metas.  I think it may actually be fun to play games of X-Wing based on the Waves of ships.  And just add stuff as they came out.

I actually think I will also try out some of the scenarios provided and see how they play.

I absolutely cannot wait until the beginning of July ... just a few weeks now ...  :wub:

I started in February of this year. 3 core sets, 7 zeds, all the expansions, more than one on most, etc, etc, etc. I knew I had a problem when I received my statement. Of the eight transactions, the first 5 were from the flgs and the sixth was from Amazon (for x-wing). Only the corvette is missing from the table. I share your pain.

My g-d ... $500 is the threshold at which point I should know I have an issue?

I have more than $3,000 invested in this game.  And I haven't even played the game yet.

Pretty sure I am way past having an issue ...  :P

Not a single game? I've been seeing you here for a while, and  I thought spending the amounts I've spent were crazy but atleast I play the game a few times a week. Go play a game with the next person you see you owe it to yourself!!!

I started with this game from the beginning ... Like many others, I enjoy all things Sy-Fy, and especially Star Wars.  I am, however, unlike most others in one respect ... I am far, far older than most of you.

I am fortunate to be able to enjoy the things I like, to the extent that I like, without it being an issue.  Unfortunately for me, I have spent the better part of the past few years with doctors, in the hospital, etc.  So, while I have everything, I have no opportunity to play the game itself.  Still, I have received much enjoyment from the game by collecting the expansions, reading the posts on this forum, etc.

My ability to play the game should change in about 1 month, as I will be done with most tests, out of the hospital, and with a good friend who enjoys gaming as much as I.  What time I have left will be spent enjoying all forms of gaming, including X-Wing.

This might sound kind of mean, but I would probably die laughing if you ended up not enjoying the game.

This might sound kind of mean, but I would probably die laughing if you ended up not enjoying the game.

While I actually do find this sentiment funny, it doesn't really matter whether or not I enjoy playing the game.  I absolutely love the minis, I like collecting them, and that in itself is sufficient reason to have all that I have.

Playing the game, and having fun doing so, will be the icing on the cake.