Sign in to follow this  
SPECPOL

X-Wingers Anonymous

Well now I don't feel as bad that my own collection is close to breaking the 500 dollar mark. Please inform my wife that I have done a good job of keeping things in moderation.

Edited by NukeMaster

Only $500?!

I think I'm around $800-900 and that's not even 2 of everything. Although with the number of times I've played thats a bargin! I have around 360 plays. That's less than $3 a play! Some of my ships are starting to wear out. :(

Edited by Danath

Hi my name is jebus and I have a problem, every few months there's a steam sale and I can't stop myself from buying heavily discounted games, I know I might never play them all but I might someday and you know digital data will be good forever.

This steam sales already claimed £10 I could of spent on x-wing, help me.

I recently switched my 'plastic crack habit' to lego .. to hold me over until the next wave of ships ... although, for some reason, I feel I need a second decimater ... Using a mini Lego lambda to fill in for a third one of those ..

i can relate. i have 40+ ships and play them rarely. iv recently joined a league where i play every 2 wks. 2 games. its not much but its something. need to get in more practice but havent been able to find the time or the players near where i live. i used to play with my brother, then he got a new gf so he doesnt have the time nemore :(

Honestly I thought the post was going to be all joke, but if that's really all true OP, you need help for real. I think you legitimately have an addiction problem with the game. Hiding spending, guilt, being unable to control your purchases all sound like a legitimate issue.

Yeah not even messing around, this goes beyond a funny anecdote or personal account and if you are being totally serious... you might want to think about help.

Some people have thousands of dollars to drop on plastic trinkets - I know, I've seen the pictures here.  If you're anything like me and probably many others, I bought all the ships and I'm happy having pretty much 1 of each expansion right now, but I still stare at Miniature Market, refresh the Amazon Prime ship prices, and check daily deals every single day.  I also will go fiddle with my collection or rearrange them if I haven't played in awhile.  I spend hours trolling forums, theory-crafting, and list-building online.

However, when you know you need to be saving money for important things (No, not beer, but you know, other things), and you cannot prevent yourself from spending it on frivolous things, it could be a real sign of an addictive personality or something similar.

12 STEPS

1. We admitted we were powerless over our [miniatures addiction] — that our lives had become unmanageable. 

2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity. 

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him. 

4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves. 

5. Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs. 

6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character. 

7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings. 

8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all. 

9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others. 

10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it. 

11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out. 

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message and to practice these principles in all our affairs. 

http://www.emotionsanonymous.org/Steps.html

Edited by SithShadowPirate

My g-d ... $500 is the threshold at which point I should know I have an issue?

I have more than $3,000 invested in this game.  And I haven't even played the game yet.

Pretty sure I am way past having an issue ...  :P

While that sounds whacky from my perspective... it's not just about what you've spent. It's about the means to spend.  Some people might have a problem if they've spent $50 on this game.  In my case, I've got a lot of upcoming financial concerns including student loans, plans to move into an apartment, plans to get married not too far in the future... and right now I'm not working because I'm finishing school and unpaid internship hours to obtain licensure.  So based on what I've got saved and what I need that money for, I can't commit to a lot, but I know my price point and have to make sure I don't go beyond my means.  Everyone's case is unique.  OP's case sounds concerning.

I have more than $3,000 invested in this game.  And I haven't even played the game yet.

Not a single game? I've been seeing you here for a while, and  I thought spending the amounts I've spent were crazy but atleast I play the game a few times a week. Go play a game with the next person you see you owe it to yourself!!!

Again, partially joking, partially serious. I am very familiar with AA/ 12 steps. My wife is a banker, she gets up-to-the-minute reports on our account- she knows every penny i spend. Everything is fine. Post was meant as a humorous hyperbolic take on real events.

Again, partially joking, partially serious. I am very familiar with AA/ 12 steps. My wife is a banker, she gets up-to-the-minute reports on our account- she knows every penny i spend. Everything is fine. Post was meant as a humorous hyperbolic take on real events.

Heh, that's relieving.  I was a little concerned, it got too real there for a second! But yes, we all have experienced similar feelings and reactions from others :P

Not a single game? I've been seeing you here for a while, and  I thought spending the amounts I've spent were crazy but atleast I play the game a few times a week. Go play a game with the next person you see you owe it to yourself!!!

I started with this game from the beginning ... Like many others, I enjoy all things Sy-Fy, and especially Star Wars.  I am, however, unlike most others in one respect ... I am far, far older than most of you.

I am fortunate to be able to enjoy the things I like, to the extent that I like, without it being an issue.  Unfortunately for me, I have spent the better part of the past few years with doctors, in the hospital, etc.  So, while I have everything, I have no opportunity to play the game itself.  Still, I have received much enjoyment from the game by collecting the expansions, reading the posts on this forum, etc.

My ability to play the game should change in about 1 month, as I will be done with most tests, out of the hospital, and with a good friend who enjoys gaming as much as I.  What time I have left will be spent enjoying all forms of gaming, including X-Wing.

Edited by any2cards

I don't have a problem, i can stop any time i want..... err ignore that signature block showing what i've got.....

Quite a hard case write up, but it does highlight how addictive this game can be, i find myself having to fight the urge to buy more x-wing's, i mean i have 5 of them and can only field 4 in a standard 100 point game! 

I don't have a problem, i can stop any time i want..... err ignore that signature block showing what i've got.....

Quite a hard case write up, but it does highlight how addictive this game can be, i find myself having to fight the urge to buy more x-wing's, i mean i have 5 of them and can only field 4 in a standard 100 point game! 

Hah, it's so sad for me because I spend my entire life right now writing up case study analyses for my counseling licensure, and it started to feel like my profession was creeping into my hobbies!  As you say, this would make for a heck of a case write-up.  But with personal experience in the matter, I feel like I could nail it :P

Oh and BOOM I've got more Scum ships than you! Woop woop. (Not that I can even touch your Rebel/Imp collection...)

Edited by KTreu42

You know even in the hospital you could get someone to come down and play with you. Heck if you lived near me in the Bay Area I'd do it. I just really feel that you've got to get some games in. You not playing is borderline tragic.

So I'm about $500 into X Wing and that's one of every ship (except Huge) but not every expansion. Included in that is storage and acrylic movement templates. I enjoyed it so much I went out an spent $200 getting up to speed with Armada.

When I knew I was going to have a problem I went out and invented a magnetic playing mat to fund my habit (and school and family vacation).

Did the calculations a few weeks back, I have abut $1,500 MSRP in X-Wing. However, a majority of it was paid for by selling collections of Magic, Warhammer and store credit earned by playing Magic. I must say that I am thankful and lucky that I get in at least 4-5 games a week on a consistent basis. I have made several trips out to local tournaments and I do my best to teach people how to play X-Wing when I have the chance. And where a majority of many players have commitments to significant others and children, I don't have those commitments so I'm able to spend a good amount of time to X-Wing.

Now, with my intention on buying 3 Raiders, I'm pretty sure I might have a problem...

Edited by SpikeSpiegel