Sign in to follow this  
Deadshane

Is Armada gonna make it?

Since my original post in this thread, I want to modify my answer.  I have not been able to get a single game or have seen a single game in the last 3, going on 4 weeks at my store.  It's really dashed my want to buy anything for Wave 2.  I'm not going to support a game that isn't played.  That is a waste of resources.

Just won the first local tourney at one flgs. The local club is starting a league in a month or so. Trying to drum up enthusiasm in my other, closer flgs...almost got an imperial officers uniform completed, and I'm wearing that puppy to my next big game over there, that should attract some attention.

The main hindrance here seems to be cost of entry.

One thing I will say is that the threat of a Demolisher makes it really hard to use tricked out Nebs.

Not that hard, but you have to be committed to the idea. Bring three nebs. One gets Salvation, Raymus, and XI7. One gets Yavaris. That's...pretty much all you need on them, but sure, you can toss XI7 on all three if you want. Now bring B-Wings. Now put Yavaris in the middle of the pack. Sure, Demolisher can fly in and, maybe, one-shot something. Then it's going to be mauled by B-Wings, and your opponent certainly doesn't want to trade Demolisher for a Nebulon, as that leaves you ahead on points. 

But yes, if you just want to bring one Neb, that can be more difficult to manage. 

I'd say nebs make it difficult to use tricked out nebs

they're so great just naked, apart from compulsory Yavaris and Raymus + Salvation, and I find every rebel ship apart from the fattie tends to fall apart if too laden with upgrades.

not a big deal, though, they don't really need upgrades anyway

Edited by ficklegreendice

Our 3rd tournament is this Saturday. We had a 180pt tournament that had around 12 people and then a 300pt Tuesday night tournament that had 18. We'll see how a 300pt tournament on a Saturday goes this week. To be honest I haven't gotten a single game in but that's mostly due to drive time. I like to arrange for a day of gaming or tournaments when I can to make up for the hour drive each direction.

Seems to be going very strong here but I also live just outside of Minneapolis where FFG is based so I'm a bit biased.

Are you not in contact with anyone that plays in your area?

They've all gone quiet.  I haven't even seen them in the shop.

I mean I generally won't find anyone for any game I play on a random night just showing up at a store, but we use FB to coordinate games. And some stores have specific Star Wars nights. I mean I wouldn't think it very odd if I just sat around the shop randomly and noone came to play without having set anything up with anyone.

Since my original post in this thread, I want to modify my answer.  I have not been able to get a single game or have seen a single game in the last 3, going on 4 weeks at my store.  It's really dashed my want to buy anything for Wave 2.  I'm not going to support a game that isn't played.  That is a waste of resources.

That's a tough break my friend. It can be frustratingly brutal work to try and build support for a game in your area. I've had some friends that have tried it, especially one so expensive (depending on your viewpoint). If I ever come up close to where you are (I'm a couple states lower than you), I'll send you a message. I keep needing an excuse for a visit to DC anyway.

I am averaging about one game per week.  Either running the game as a teacher or playing when I get the chance.  I am organizing a tournament for my FLGS and hope that I can get at least 6 participants which is the minimum to run a standard 3-round tournament.  I will have a much better guage of how well this game is going to catch-on after I see the turn out I manage to draw for the tournament.

Also I should mention, as a wargamer, and not a general SW Fan, I'm getting a little bored with my Imperial options. I could use some more toys to tinker and list build with, etc.

I can certainly agree with Boardy. Wave 2 can't come fast enough for me. Right now we have 3 Rebel ships and 2 Imperial ships. With wave two that will go to 5 and 4 which will put a lot more variety into the game. The squadrons in the Rogues & Villains expansion should also make that portion of the game much more dynamic.

It's interesting you say this. If by your local store you mean Huzzah Hobbies, we had a group of about eight people together last Saturday to play Armada, and were going to play there, but instead played at one of the guys' home in Leesburg.

So, my response to you would be there's a good amount of Armada going on around you without you knowing! It was a heck of a game, too, with three ships blowing up on the last turn.

I have found that using this board as well as the 'Geek works well to find more opponents than I know what to do with.

It's interesting you say this. If by your local store you mean Huzzah Hobbies, we had a group of about eight people together last Saturday to play Armada, and were going to play there, but instead played at one of the guys' home in Leesburg.

So, my response to you would be there's a good amount of Armada going on around you without you knowing! It was a heck of a game, too, with three ships blowing up on the last turn.

I have found that using this board as well as the 'Geek works well to find more opponents than I know what to do with.

I was there part of the day.  I didn't see anyone.  Arg!!!!

Ok good to know folks are still playing.  Just wish I saw them there...

Have you tried to arrange a game though? Or a league or a tournament? Have you asked the managers to do so?

Have you tried to arrange a game though? Or a league or a tournament? Have you asked the managers to do so?

Honestly, no.  There is supposedly an achievement league starting up.  I'll check this weekend and see how that has come along.

It seems to have gotten the local X-wing community's attention and some fleet battle enthusiasts that disliked X-Wing (like me) also seem to be on board. If it takes off it is Good News for me, since it is simple enough to play and enjoy even if you don't want to go all in (as in playing a lot of games to get better) on it like I've done with WM/H. Which sadly wasn't the case with Infinity, and Firestorm Armada just went and died on me. Also, prepaint makes it less of a time investment than regular miniatures games. Which also helps.

I was there part of the day.  I didn't see anyone.  Arg!!!!

Ok good to know folks are still playing.  Just wish I saw them there...

It seems most gaming groups have flocked to facebook in order to arrange games. I live in a pretty small town (about 13,000 people) but our wargaming group has about 80 members, ~20 of which are regulars. I know I can get an Armada game most weekends (or weeknight games nights) if I wanted by arranging one on the facebook page, but I would almost never see an Armada gamer 'in the wild'. Do you guys have a facebook group for your area? If not, I'd highly suggest setting one up.

I may pass out if I see any activity here in NEPA (Scranton) area. I only know of one LGS, and they don't promote that they even do anything other than card games.

Well, maybe all your good karma was used up on The Office. If it helps, it was one of the best shows on television.