Sign in to follow this  
Deadshane

Is Armada gonna make it?

Just wondering what the community thinks. Is Armada going to make it to the saturation level that xwing has? I havent seen as many players but its still new I know.

Are the mechanics on par with xwing? Better? No real comparison?

it is indeed, probably the single most enjoyable out of any other game I have experienced

the mechanics with X-wing have no real comparison (Except for not having primary turrets or green dice, Armada is objectively better off because those don't exist in it :P) other than that far more goes into flying a 2 ship build in armada than in x-wing. For some (me) the complexity is a huge draw because I find x-wing dull without a decent number of ships on the table. For others, who knows?

Armada's problem is that it competes for similar customers.  X-wing players are often Armada players.  

Number one main concern for Armada players or those considering Armada:  price.  

Armada *seems* more expensive to them.  A fighter pack for $20, a ship for around $40.  Funny thing is, most X-wing players buy 2-3 of a ship anyways and so probably spend about the same.  

I'm not fooled, I'm willing and currently able to buy both x-wing and armada.  Case in point though:  When Scum & Villainy was released I spent ~$200.  When Armada Wave I released I spent nearly the exact same amount.  So my Star Wars miniatures expenses have doubled with the arrival of Armada.  I realize for many, that just isnt something they will consider.  Some will choose to stick with just one, others will curb their spending in both.  example:  less x-wing wave 7, just one faction of armada = overall same $$ spent.  

Regardless of what budgeting logic you apply, the Armada price tags are more scary and keep some players away.  

Just wondering what the community thinks. Is Armada going to make it to the saturation level that xwing has? I havent seen as many players but its still new I know.

Are the mechanics on par with xwing? Better? No real comparison?

Saturation level? No, I don't think so.

I personally enjoy it more, but I also understand it takes longer to play and has a higher buy in cost which I think for those who would be interested -- xwing players -- it is a bit much to collect both games for many. I've heard quite a few say that they are interested but won't buy in because they can't afford the cost of both and are already invested in xwing.

So, Guardian Games is a 10,000 Sq ft game store that sells massive amounts of board games, miniature games, card games, etc and in the last month alone Armada has been in their top 3 for sales. They can't keep it in Stock.

Our first tournament in Portland Oregon had 8 people and we only keep getting more joining the ranks as time goes on.

I think Armada will make it. It will come down to how they continue with each wave and what ships and squadrons then you release.

I think it has a way to go before it's as popular as X-Wing, but who knows. Maybe. I get the feeling that X-Wing is scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of new expansions. I hope that FFG is reading what people are writing about that in the forum (e.g. here) and they adjust direction. If not, I think they're headed for diminished returns in X-Wing.

Now, maybe Armada represents the successor rather than the rival to X-Wing.

But...

...there is another.

Armada's problem is that it competes for similar customers.  X-wing players are often Armada players.  

That's true, but I'd also like to mention Imperial Assault. In my community of X-Wing players, there's a bifurcation of those who are playing another FFG game, and that's between Armada players and Imperial Assault players. I'd actually say that there are more people playing X-Wing and Imperial Assault than there are people playing X-Wing and Armada.

The people I'm playing Armada with are not as much drawn from the X-Wing community as I am, while the Imperial Assault players that I know (which may be a network bias, because the people I know are X-Wing players) are X-Wing players. Still, I think I would have seen non-X-Wing faces playing with the X-Wing faces that I see. but I haven't seen 'new' people among the IS crowd, whereas I have seen new people in the Armada crowd.

Take that for what you will. I'm curious to read your observations in this regard.

It will not reach the same levels of popularity as x-wing has.

Armada is a more complicated ruleset. While that is a draw to probably everyone on this board, it makes the game significantly less accessible to the casual players that were drawn in by x-wing's simple and intuitive game play. I know maybe a dozen people I wouldn't hesitate to recomend x-wing to who I know wouldn't be able to stand armada.

Related to that, armada is a much longer play time. A big draw of x-wing is that you can get 3-4 games in a single night. If you get 2 games of armada in so ething probably went very wrong for someone in the first game.

I don't agree that the two games cost about the same. A typical wave for x-wing will have me spending $120-$180 and get me everything I want for all factions. Wave 2 of armada is going to cost probably more than that for just the imperial faction. Likewise, there is a huge difference for the typical gamer between a $40 cost of entry and a $100 cost of entry, even if total expenditures over the life of the games were even.

Armada will succeed, but it will succeed with the more hard core, tactical wargamer crowd, not the much larger, casual, play some games on the weekend crowd that has made x-wing such a runaway success

I play a little X-wing, but only with borrowed minis. X-wing is fun, but not on the level of Armada - ie not enough to spend money on. Armada, on the other hand, Ive spent a fair penny already (and no, I dont find it expensive) and will continue to do so.

When I started playing X-Wing last year, I did so because there wasn't a game like Armada out yet. I'd agree with Lyraeus' reasoning for myself personally.

I'd also say that a benefit to the Armada community is that it's brand new and we can do more to shape that community.. The X-Wing community is defaulted around playing 100point6asteroidDeathMatch-style games, suited for tournaments. Tournaments are fun - don't get me wrong - but I want more. I don't see the X-wing community as really capable of changing at this stage, whereas I hope that the Armada community can be more able to try new things.

This will cater to an entirely new core of gamers who, for whatever reason, haven't bothered with X-Wing yet.

I was demo'ing Armada last night at our FLGS, and two guys who are both hard-core WH40K players stopped to watch. They didn't even care that the core set is about $100Cdn here, and that Wave 1 for me ran about again. Gamers who are into the expansion-based miniature games know what they cost to play. Our FLGS, being a small regional store, tends to have higher prices than those in Toronto (about 90 minute drive away) and they're entirely sold out of Armada too.

Some of our X-Wing players have no interest in it. Some are massively into (like myself) along with loads of X-Wing too. And Imperial Assault and all of its expansions.

If anything, the turret-heavy metagame state for X-Wing is driving people away from it, and Armada has been the game they're drifting too, at least in our small local scene.

My observation is that FFG took everything they learned from the mistakes they made within the X Wing rules and fixed it for Armada. Some say Armada is more complicated but it's also more smooth. It's rules are more refined with less issues. I don't believe it will ever catch X Wing in popularity but it will certainly keep growing and become very popular.

I came into FFGs Star Wars world as a player of X Wing on the recommendation of a close friend whom I have been gaming for decades. I really enjoy X Wing. I'm new to Armada, but if I'm honest I enjoy Armada more. It's the style, the game flow, the rules. I just think FFG nailed it. As for the debate on cost. X Wing will be cheaper for the casual player. The guy who buy just enough ships to fly the faction/lists he likes. On the other hand Armada is cheaper for the hardcore gamer. For the hardcore gamer in X Wing the rule of thumb is usually as many of each ship as could fit in a 100 pt build. I'm not quite at that level but I have at least one of every ship in X Wing. I also have one of every expansion for Armada. To compare I spent about $170 to get just my Scum fleet started. That's Firesprayx1, IG2000x1, Starviperx1, Most Wantedx1, HWK-290x1, and Scykx2. Pretty much the basic bare bones to cover the faction. By contrast I spent $200 (great deal online which someone on here posted, thanks for that) I got one of everything for Armada. I could add a second fighter squad expansion for each Armada faction and perhaps a 2nd Guppy and 2nd GSD. I'd then have 2 of every ship (which is a very good base for Armada) for around $300. I spent almost $200 (I added a 2nd IG2000) just to get on board with Scum and I only have 2 of two ships (IG and Scyk). That doesn't include a core set for X Wing either. Armada is cheaper for me, I imagine it's the same for others like me too.

In short armada is going to do amazing.

In long I am in the process of selling my house and we need to downgrade so we can pay off debt and stop living paycheck to paycheck. My wife challenged me saying we are going to have 500 sq less so there is not a lot of room for extra games, would I consider selling ether x-wing or armada ? So after three seconds of thinking my x-wing ships are going on ebay. I whole heartedly believe that armada is a better game then x-wing and it will do very well. (Ps my x-wing collection is about 1200 retail if that tells you anything)

On the plus side my wave 2 will be preordered soon and I am getting a new computer ;-)

Edited by Cubanboy

I havent actually played a game of Armada yet, but i have the core set, just needed to get an opponent. But i also have X-wing. I will be buying less X-wing from now on but i am not sure how much i really need as i have at least one of everything except the epic ships. Yes the cost is deceptive as each individual piece costs more but you need less of each. So total cost is reasonable. It is more complicated, especially for others not into that type of game.

But this is the game i always wanted i would not have bought X-wing if Armada had existed at the time. And by now i think a lot of people will have most of what they need to play X-wing and new players wont be buying anywhere near as many of each compared with earlier adopters, no one starting now is going to need 4 X-wings, just buy what they need for reasonable squads. But the price point is a factor to buy a $15 blister every now and then is easier than $40 especially when explaining to the wife why you need it. But i will deal with that when she checks the credit card statement.