Sign in to follow this  
All Shields Forward

Warning about quality of the plastic stands!

Holy crow ; that is freakin wierd that the ships do nott fall over...l would nott say poor quality though ; just be wary that the stands are unpredictable under adverse conditions...

Holy crow ; that is freakin wierd that the ships do nott fall over...l would nott say poor quality though ; just be wary that the stands are unpredictable under adverse conditions...

Some pennies glued to the underside of the base or lead weights (keep away from kids) would sort out any falling over problems.

When I look at that barrel-rolling VSD with its docking bay exposed, it gives me the impression of a silent scream as it bears the onslaught of an all-crit broadside roll from an AF2.  :o

Firstly the clear plastic of the stands are a totally different plastic to what the ships/fighters are made from. It has a lower deformation/plasticity heat range. What us mechanical engineers call a lower critical heat range.

Secondly I never transport or store my ships mounted on the stands. You now personally know why I don't. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know the interior of the modern cars can reach in excess of 100 degrees and plastic melts easily. Heat your oven to over 100 degrees and place your stands in it to see what happens to them........Oh wait you've already done that.......My bad.

The problem is not with the stands but PEBSAC.

If we only learn one thing from this post, it is that it's safe to leave the miniatures themselves in the car. Sure the stands are warped, but the miniatures still look perfect.

And I am working on replacement stands.

I should try some stop motion videos!NSgkb6s.jpg

That's unfortunate, but that picture is awesome!
Actually I think all the OP is doing is proving you can roll a SD to launch your TIEs in satety. Edited by Vetnor

So I want to echo the previous post that putting the stands in near-boiling or boiling water, briefly (and make sure you have tongs to get them out, probably to ideally hold them the whole time), and then gently straightening them (cover your hands with something, obviously, or use tools so you don't burn yourself) should fix this problem pretty easily.

As stated previously, the stand plastic vs. miniature plastic has a different point at which heat can cause deformation. You should be able to un-deform this with a bit of effort.

Thanks for all the tips, I will give boiling water+heat gun a go if I can't get replacements. I run a lot of demos and have been trying to grow our Armada community, so I would like to present the game "unaltered" if possible.

The connection is currently snug enough for static display. The female part actually has separated from the Star Destroyer and needs to be glued on. The connection between the ships and the stand is a tad loose because the plastic relaxed along the joint. A little elmers glue will tighten it up though.

I'm pretty far from Australia, however if shipping is reasonable I find the idea of passing it on pretty humorous. It will depend on if I can get a replacement or not.

Thanks for the offer to play Ken at Sunrise. I'm on the west coast and don't get to travel much. :(

Also it's raining and cloudy now. This state is madness.

I had this happen to one of my core sets.  The VSD base ended up looking like a saucer, and the small bases shrank slightly so that the pegs wouldn't slide in.  While leaving the minis in the car is probably unwise, I have a great many other games that have sat in the car and had no problems.  

FFG was very prompt getting me replacements.

I'm still waiting for the part about poor quality. You leave it in your car and it comes out better, I wish leftover pizza did that. And honestly, all the Starfox 64 quotes (and my laughing because of it) were probably worth the pain (though it may not feel that way). Let us know what FFG does (or doesn't) for you. (please)

Edited by Boardy

Well that is easy to fix, the plastic will be able to be remolded to shape, just boil a pot of water, and place one stand in at a time, once it is pliable just carefully reshape it, and allow the stand to cool on its own, don't put it in cold water it will really weaken the plastic. I have done this many times with aircraft model stands to change the display. Don't need to stop playing. If you do not get the right shape just reheat the stand and reshape.

Shane