Sign in to follow this  
Wes Janson

Heir to the Empire

Also, here's another, slightly tweaked (but much more powerful - and expensive) version of Thrawn:

th_Commander%20-%20Thrawn%20I.jpg

That card, and the ability....  wow.  Pure evil.  The capacity for trolls with this is off the scale, and it fits Thrawn perfectly.

I know the cards from Heir to the Empire were done a while ago, but I had a suggestion about Thrawn. It always seemed that he was less a leader and more a strategist. The current ability for Thrawn would be awesome on a commander version of Palleon, but since Thrawn was all about studying his enemies and exploiting their weaknesses or countering their strengths, why about one of the following ideas:

1) when firing at an enemy ship, the accuracy results of friendly ships affect an additional defense token

2) when firing at an enemy ship, friendly ships add one blue die set to an accuracy result added to their dice pool

3) same as it is now, but allows to look at and rearrange an ENEMY ships dials

I had to play with theme vs playability. Not everyone is willing to accept custom stuff in there games, and some are right against it. I had to work within the idea that I could reach a good middle ground.

I don't mind the gunboat at all. Maarek puts a nice emphasis on obstacle usage. Wave II has made things interesting though.

The E-wing functions rather well, and Corran Horn was well play tested as his final version sits currently at our end. Makes for a hell of a cleanup crew when the ties are all chewed up. Look forward to the remakes Diablo.

Edited by Wes Janson

Someone at the Boardgamegeek forum suggested doing the Smuggler's Alliance ships from the Thrawn novels. Like the Wild Karrde, Lady Luck, Errant Venture, and even Skipray Blastboats. Any ideas on these? Straight rebel, a sub-faction, Scum & Villainy? Given that the wave 2 smugglers and bounty hunters are all straight Rebel or Empire, I suppose that's the way to follow. I would've rather had a third faction, either playable on its own or available to both sides, but I suppose that would've complicated things and might have ruffled some feathers lore-wise ("Boba Fett fighting alongside the Rebels? Heresy!", even though the guy was just a merc for hire).

Well I think many of those ships are able to fit in the Rogues and Villains setup. I don't see why we couldn't start a scum faction. The available ship models are getting better and better. The Errant Venture is an ISD so that would make things interesting. Skipray blastboats are like Scum B-wings. I am game.

I might make an Imperial card, but by and large I'm not a big fan of cross-faction units (and in fact I plan to remove some from the Shipyards site).

As for the third faction (Pirates & Neutrals? Rogues & Smugglers? The Fringe?), my initial, very much incomplete list would look like this:

CR70/90 Corvettes
DP20 Frigate
Salvaged ISD, with far less firepower than regular version, incl. Errant Venture title

Action VI Transport, incl. Wild Karrde title

Gozanti C-ROC Transport, which would disappear from the Rebel faction

Z-95
Skipray Blastboat
YT-1300
YT-2400
HWK-290
Scurrg H-6
Firespray-31
YV-666
Aggressor Assault Fighter
JumpMaster 5000

Well I think many of those ships are able to fit in the Rogues and Villains setup. I don't see why we couldn't start a scum faction. The available ship models are getting better and better. The Errant Venture is an ISD so that would make things interesting. Skipray blastboats are like Scum B-wings. I am game.

The main reason we can't, in my opinion, have a proper Scum faction is that no other faction has the ability to stand up to the Empire in a pitched battle. Strictly speaking, the Rebellion can't either, but let's brush that aside.

The Rebellion is the only faction motivated to have a proper military. Capitol ships are EXPENSIVE to run, and any kind of criminal enterprise isn't gonna want the expense. I would be unwilling to entertain the thought of any criminal group having more than two or three ships larger than a Corvette. (Lancer-frigate, for fans of the EU) I could see the Hutts having one or two ships comprable to a GSD, but only as an intimidation tool. Sending them into a proper battle wouldn't be a thing they do. Firstly, buying the ship is expensive. Secondly, provisioning the ship is expensive. Food, fuel, ammo, endless repairs. Have you every heard the claim that a house is a thousand things that you're gonna have to fix someday? Well, any starship is worse. Then if you take them into battle, you have to fix them again afterward, AND they will be out of service while they are getting fixed. This is not a profit center.

There were several criminal elements that "held off" the Empire, but it wasn't done by fighting them ship to ship. Smaller gangs might be more trouble to clean up than to simply ignore, or they may have cut deal with various authority figures, offering specelized goods and services in exchange for a blind eye. But even the Hutts, or the Black Sun could have been crushed if the Empire decided to spend the time and effort to do so.

An alternative suggestion would be to investigate the Corperate Sector Authority. They have their own military, old Victories and such and even manufacture some of their own ships. You could always use them as a scum baseline to make sure they had access to higher grade gear.

Edited by Wes Janson

And worth mentioning, most of these characters/ships end up on the Rebel side. Seeing as the Empire got several special characters, it may not be a stretch to avoid a scum faction and just add the appropriate cards for the proper Characters.

The Wild Karrde and Lady Luck would be great additiona ships for the Rebel side of the Rogues and Villains along with a Rebel title ISD card. Skipray blastboats can literally fit into the Imperial role as an assault fighter much like the B-wing. Options...

A perfectly suitable 3rd faction, or at least strongly allied to the New Republic, is Talon Karrde's Smugglers' Alliance.  Booster Terrik's Errant Venture ISD as the anchor.  The Wild Karrde and assorted other Action V transports, the Lady Luck, Etherway, Starry Ice, Preybirds, Distant Rainbow, Pulsar Skate!

A perfectly suitable 3rd faction, or at least strongly allied to the New Republic, is Talon Karrde's Smugglers' Alliance.  Booster Terrik's Errant Venture ISD as the anchor.  The Wild Karrde and assorted other Action V transports, the Lady Luck, Etherway, Starry Ice, Preybirds, Distant Rainbow, Pulsar Skate!

Someone at the Boardgamegeek forum suggested doing the Smuggler's Alliance ships from the Thrawn novels. Like the Wild Karrde, Lady Luck, Errant Venture, and even Skipray Blastboats. Any ideas on these? Straight rebel, a sub-faction, Scum & Villainy? Given that the wave 2 smugglers and bounty hunters are all straight Rebel or Empire, I suppose that's the way to follow. I would've rather had a third faction, either playable on its own or available to both sides, but I suppose that would've complicated things and might have ruffled some feathers lore-wise ("Boba Fett fighting alongside the Rebels? Heresy!", even though the guy was just a merc for hire).

...just sayin' :D