Sign in to follow this  
Wes Janson

Heir to the Empire

I was simply looking at it like this: "While in play, the game lasts 7 rounds. If removed from play during round 7, immediatly end the game."

Well that's almost* exactly what it says :)

The thing is, there's no rules definition of "in play" or "leaving play". When a ship is destroyed, its upgrade cards "become inactive":

DESTROYED SHIPS AND SQUADRONS (p.5) "All ship and upgrade cards belonging to destroyed ships are inactive."

And similarly for discarded or flipped down upgrade cards:

EFFECT USE AND TIMING (p.5): "When a card is discarded or flipped facedown, its effect is no longer active in the game."

Hence my wording, which covers both possibilities (it's entirely possible that future game effects cause ships to discard upgrades or flip them face down).

*: (Aside from the defense token thing, of course, which is just a maintenance cost and works independently of the rest of the text)

EDIT: But I apologize - I don't mean to hijack your thread. I am, on the other hand, very curious if you have other takes on the interdiction abilities. You mentioned upgrade cards?

Edited by DiabloAzul

As long as the intend is clear. To me it reads no other way than the game lasting 1 extra round unless the harpax fails to spend a defense token or is destroyed, in which case the game lasts 6 rounds, or ends immediatly when already in the 7th round.

Ok, so the idea just came to me, so feel free to shread it to tiny bits, but...The Immobilizer 418, in Canon, was designed to pull ships out of hyperspace (great for a ready made objective), or ( and this is the key) prevent them from entering hyperspace. If we assume that turn 6 ends with the Rebels or the losing player jumping to hyperspace, as a few battle reports suggest, than an Immobilizer could extend a game past turn 6, allowing the Imperial player additional time to hunt down those annoyingly speedy Rebel ships.Just some random thoughts, commence hacking to bits.

You mean like this one? :PTitle%20-%20Harpax.jpgThis one was a bit of a bear. The main problem (from a rules logic point of view) is that there are various circumstances under which an upgrade card might stop functioning, chiefly when the ship it's attached to is destroyed. At that point, if you're already in the 7th round, you no longer have any instructions on when to end the game.I might reword it to something like "During the Status phase of the fifth round, you may discard this card instead of placing a round token." It's mechanically tighter, but also potentially more confusing.
From my point of view, you have nailed it!

DA, did you just make that, or was my subconscious brain committing plagiarism again?

I think I like the idea of using it for a special custom objective. In the meantime there is no reason why it couldn't be used as a ship in the game. It has a unique offering being all blue with an ion upgrade.

I will plug away at some missions over the next few days.

Well my other line of thinking was to eliminate the need for a seperate mission. At the start of the game after set-up, but before deployment a fleet that includes a ship with Gravity Well Projectors places 4 Gravity Well tokens anywhere on the table, including in the enemy deployment zone. After deployment, move all enemy ships/squadrons towards the closest Gravity Well token by distance 1. Remove tokens, begin game as normal.

Now on this line of thinking it will allow the player whos deployment is dissrupted to see where he will be pulled and therefore deploy accordingly. However, this will also give the gravity well player a bit of thinking to do. With some cunning you could simply use it as an area denial tool. I think I will proceed forward with this idea in some actual playtests.

Is there any reason why we couldn't make an Interdictor icon for the upgrade bar? That way we can make the Gravity Well Generator card generic, and can accomodate future ships like the CC7700?

Now on this line of thinking it will allow the player whos deployment is dissrupted to see where he will be pulled and therefore deploy accordingly. However, this will also give the gravity well player a bit of thinking to do. With some cunning you could simply use it as an area denial tool. I think I will proceed forward with this idea in some actual playtests.

Just a quick caveat - the rules (p.5) explicitly say upgrade cards cannot be resolved during setup. You may want to word your ability around that.

Is there any reason why we couldn't make an Interdictor icon for the upgrade bar? That way we can make the Gravity Well Generator card generic, and can accomodate future ships like the CC7700?

No reason as far as I can see. That could work.

My day job is far less thought intensive lol. Either case, would it be better then to say place the tokens during the set-up phase before deployment, and resolve at the beginning of the first command phase?

It would keep with the wording of the rules.

It also makes me wonder how a Tractor Beam upgrade would work.

*A note if printing these cards, they are screen captures, so exact sizing has to be done at your end. All of my custom squadron/character cards are done to fit the small card size, not the standard playing card.

Hi all,

I didn't want to hijack Mel's thread any longer for images, but I will share links. I will post custom cards here from this point on.

Been working on a little something special for my local group games, but feel free to borrow and comment. I have been waiting to put this character in a game for a long time. Concepts throughout this post.

7c305b83-8e00-4222-9a4b-cdcfada4ebf1_zps

Dreadnaughts_zpsg0rqwo4r.png

a6406239-edfc-4b4b-9dff-9db00397da55_zps

super abilities for Thrawn, Cbaoth and Captain P, fit very well!!