Sign in to follow this  
Wes Janson

Heir to the Empire

*A note if printing these cards, they are screen captures, so exact sizing has to be done at your end. All of my custom squadron/character cards are done to fit the small card size, not the standard playing card.

Hi all,

I didn't want to hijack Mel's thread any longer for images, but I will share links. I will post custom cards here from this point on.

Been working on a little something special for my local group games, but feel free to borrow and comment. I have been waiting to put this character in a game for a long time. Concepts throughout this post.

7c305b83-8e00-4222-9a4b-cdcfada4ebf1_zps

Dreadnaughts_zpsg0rqwo4r.png

a6406239-edfc-4b4b-9dff-9db00397da55_zps

Edited by Wes Janson

I really hope we see a Thrawn card in this game.  Any chance he might come with the Imperial Star Destroyer?

Unlikely, so far we have seen that if a commander comes with a ship, they are the only commander included. We know (as much as you can) that Vader comes with the ISD. Based on that it is unlikely that he will be in wave 2 (unless he strangely shows up included with the raider). Beyond that.... who knows.

Hola Wes,

Was just looking through your cards on Mel's thread, gotta commend you dude, they're fantastic! I'm looking to build a Mandalorian fleet in Armada, utilising some old CW-era vessels like the Venator and the Arquitens that Mel has done (utterly gorgeous is an understatement!)

I couldn't help but notice the Venator seemed a little weak...reading through it's article on Wookiepedia:

In terms of firepower, these weapons rivaled the main battery on the later Imperial I-class Star Destroyers."

Pretty tasty, right? Check it out:

The armament of a single Venator-class Star Destroyer consisted of eight DBY-827 heavy dual turbolaser turrets, two medium dual turbolaser cannons, fifty-two point-defense dual laser cannonsor turbolasers,[7] and four heavy proton torpedo tubes.[1]

All of the dice! :D

Edited by Rhinoviru3

Rhinoviru3,

Mel does great work, and he makes me poor. Thanks for enjoying my own efforts, I am having fun.

We are just discussing the Venator on another thread, and I suppose the best way to look at it is that it is of older design. The trouble is most sources say it has 50 point defense lasers, which would imply small. So based on that alone its firepower in number of weapons may be comparable, but range and power are dramatically weaker then the later Star Destroyers. Plus it was brought up that the Clone Wars era cannon and Rebellion era cannon do not line up very well in ship capability.

In the end I picture it as balance. The Victory was meant to replace the Venator, so in theory it makes sense that in most ways it should be a better ship. That is assumption of course, but a logical one.

Edited by Wes Janson

Very nice work.

On Gilad Pelleon though, I think his cost is a little low. His effect is just too strong (IMO) for just 10 points. Being able to make the attacker reroll all dice against any ship is very strong.

Not sure what point cost would be best, but I just feel 10 is too low.

Edit:

Another way to keep cost down would maybe add a range requirement (distance 1-3 maybe?).

Edited by kami689

The E-Wing Pilot looks wrong.  I think you meant that it does damage to all enemy units at a range of 1 (engaged with) when it kills a squadron, not just ones it is in base to base contact with.

We tested it both ways Mike, and decided on base contact until additional testing is done. We originally had it at distance 1, but frequently he was causing upwards of 4+ additional damage in a single turn. We did not want to make him too good. The only pilot that compares is Maulers ability, and he can only do it when he moves.

Customs are tricky, and players (here at least) have a different take on what is cheesy when it is made up versus 'official'. Plus, we figure he would be 20-21 pts for a distance 1 effect which we thought might be over priced. It was fairly easy during the move to get upwards of 3 bases in contact, 2 almost always. We found in a game he got to use this ability roughly twice with a total of an extra 4 damage done. In games where he was more selective of his targets, AKA wounded ties, he was getting to use it 3 times.

On a side note, I just realised I missed putting their defense tokens on the card. :rolleyes:

Thank you for the input though, it is all appreciated. If you get a chance, play with both versions and see what happens.

I will post his original version as well, people can pick and choose.

Edited by Wes Janson

On the note then...

If automatically doing 1 damage over distance 1 is too much.....

.. .  Why not throw a Red Die of Damage at Distance 1 whenever you kill something...  You're sometimes able to mop things up, but not always.

We tested it both ways Mike, and decided on base contact until additional testing is done. We originally had it at distance 1, but frequently he was causing upwards of 4+ additional damage in a single turn. We did not want to make him too good. The only pilot that compares is Maulers ability, and he can only do it when he moves.

Customs are tricky, and players (here at least) have a different take on what is cheesy when it is made up versus 'official'. Plus, we figure he would be 20-21 pts for a distance 1 effect which we thought might be over priced. It was fairly easy during the move to get upwards of 3 bases in contact, 2 almost always. We found in a game he got to use this ability roughly twice with a total of an extra 4 damage done. In games where he was more selective of his targets, AKA wounded ties, he was getting to use it 3 times.

On a side note, I just realised I missed putting their defense tokens on the card. :rolleyes:

Thank you for the input though, it is all appreciated. If you get a chance, play with both versions and see what happens.

I will post his original version as well, people can pick and choose.

ok, just checking