Sign in to follow this  
QuinnDx

Do I understand how the economy works?

I have a couple of questions about the base cost of items and their rarity (page 150 of the EotE Core Rulebook).

The rarity attribute for items determines its ability to be found it in markets/commercial districts using Negotiate/Streetwise/Area Knowledge checks etc... however, is this all that rarity modifies? Does it ever increase the cost of an item depending on which world you find it on?

Example: my most recent campaign started on Sleheyron (Hutt space) and I ruled that practically any item could be found with the appropriate check, given that the planet is the economic crown of Hutt space and powered by numerous illegal activities (like the slave trade). One of my players purchased an Extra Reload (base rarity/cost: 1/25 credits), but because it's an Outer Rim world, I upped the rarity to 3 (as per Table 5-2: Rarity Modifiers) and charged him 50 credits for it instead (because its rarity increased by +2 and subsequently its cost, as per Table 5-3: Increased Costs When Trading).

Is this the correct method for determining the market cost of items from base? Or have I misunderstood the concept entirely and oopsed in charging my player double the proper cost?

I have done similar increasing cost do to location. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing that and it adds more flavor to the experience.

You could also raise prices at tourist type locations, or luxury areas, or really whenever you want as the story requires.

There is nobody that can reasonably say you did wrong with your interpretation.

I would think that supply and demand would come into play for sure. Buying spice on Ryloth? Dirt cheap despite it's rarity rating. Trying to buy it on Puritan World, probably a whole lot more. . . .

Edited by Desslok

Agreed, use common sense and adjust as needed, the rarity adjustment is just a kind of baseline

One of my players purchased an Extra Reload (base rarity/cost: 1/25 credits), but because it's an Outer Rim world, I upped the rarity to 3 (as per Table 5-2: Rarity Modifiers) and charged him 50 credits for it instead (because its rarity increased by +2 and subsequently its cost, as per Table 5-3: Increased Costs When Trading).

Is this the correct method for determining the market cost of items from base? Or have I misunderstood the concept entirely and oopsed in charging my player double the proper cost?

You made a boo-boo.

The "increased cost when trading" is for actual trading. Like if the player bought 5,000 extra reloads and took them across the galaxy and sold them again. It doesn't effect the cost per unit when buying for personal use, that's what the rolling is for.

So base concept is: You wish to buy Extra reloads for your own use. You roll Negotiation (because it's generally a legal item) vs. (because it's rarity 1+2 for being out in the boonies) plus any needed to represent local issues. The GM can of course adjust futher if the base and local setbacks don't appropriately represent the situation.

If they succeed, they find the item, and you can use the number of Success, Advantage, Threat, Triumph, and Despair to adjust the starting price, item details, and purchase conditions. Depending on the vendor and roll results the player may (or may not) attempt to make additional checks to try and talk down the price or something.

All this will of course vary. Extra reloads might be illegal on a planet changing it to Streetwise. Talking the price down doesn't work on vending machines very well... so on.

IIRC, on Nar Shaddaa all items listed are -2 rarity, but double cost. Pretty much like the moon runs where EVERYONE has 2 ranks of Black Market Contacts....wait, that makes too uch sense. LOL

As to the OP, you are never wrong in your ame if you and your players are comfortable with what you are doing and having fun. That eing said Ghostofman is correct in the way it is presented.

personally, I always jigger with the prices and such. I don't think there is a galactic MSRP on items. Supply, Demand and Story are all that maters. If your players want a specific item bad enough in an area that it's difficult to find, well, it's a sellers market.

"You walk into a local 'tech' shop on Aduba III (outer rim, no major trade route, etc), hoping to find fusion cutter (rarity 4 now) you can charge them 175 (base), 300, 2000, or 100 if you want, especially if he's the only shop in town. Just because they find it doesn't mean the always get everything at book value.

Then you have Black Market Contacts (lower rarity for increased cost). That alone brings in the potential of whole side stories, complications with authorities, etc. Still no guarentee the item costs what the book lists.

The base prices in the book are there, IMHO, just as a tool for ease and if playing with prices and all will detract from your game. Mine, I use book pices most of the time for incedental things and inbetween scene shopping when there's no major impact on the story or flow of the session, but that's just me.

Agreed, use common sense and adjust as needed, the rarity adjustment is just a kind of baseline

One of my players purchased an Extra Reload (base rarity/cost: 1/25 credits), but because it's an Outer Rim world, I upped the rarity to 3 (as per Table 5-2: Rarity Modifiers) and charged him 50 credits for it instead (because its rarity increased by +2 and subsequently its cost, as per Table 5-3: Increased Costs When Trading).

You made a boo-boo.

The "increased cost when trading" is for actual trading. Like if the player bought 5,000 extra reloads and took them across the galaxy and sold them again. It doesn't effect the cost per unit when buying for personal use, that's what the rolling is for.

This was my concern. Thanks for clarifying! I realise it's down to GM discretion, but there is still a lot about the EU that flies over my head. I source most of my adventures on established lore, so having a baseline system like rarity etc. really does help me establish a ball park with regards to pricing and legality (though now I'm more inclined to use dice pool as a modifier as well!)

IIRC, on Nar Shaddaa all items listed are -2 rarity, but double cost.

Oh! Is this from a source book or something? This could help my understanding. :)

Edited by QuinnDx

I would have upped by 2 for outer rim and downed by one for being a very metropolitan area where anything is available for sale. Add a setback because everyone is shady. And depending on how they go about finding a vender upgrade the check. A despair has them buying a cheap knock off that will now burn out the next time they roll a despair...**** Chinese knockoff.

I would have upped by 2 for outer rim and downed by one for being a very metropolitan area where anything is available for sale. Add a setback because everyone is shady. And depending on how they go about finding a vender upgrade the check. A despair has them buying a cheap knock off that will now burn out the next time they roll a despair...**** Chinese knockoff.

This is good perspective, thanks! Personally, I upped it by +2 owing to it being an Outer Rim world, but conceded the-metropolitan/commercial-area point by simply allowing my PCs to access a larger array of Restricted items that are conceivably available (ie, not Tie Fighters or Lightsabers).

I like the setback die option though, to account for 'unscrupulous vendors' and the like. Totally stealing that!

Edited by QuinnDx