Sign in to follow this  
R2D2fan

"Imperial Papers and how do they work?"

Hey RPGr's

Just posing 2 question(s) that were recently brought up my group's latest game,

What are "Imperial Papers" and how do they work? Which book makes reference to them?

The closest consensus that my group could come to is, they act like a "get out of jail free card" when facing imperial forces/ adversaries in a non-combat encounter.

Thanks

R2D2fan 

There is no mention of anything on Wookiepedia so maybe someone heard/read/whatever'ed something wrong.

Traditionally if an official (real world or Star Wars) wanted someone to go through an area without being molested by the people in control of an area they might send some sort of signed documentation to note they are allowed there by the Official.

There is nothing I know that is specific to Star Wars for this that I know of though. If it existed in a story it was likely because the story needed someone to get through without issues and so they used a common method to move the story forward.

The short of it is, "you can make it up to be whatever you want without breaking/touching/looking at canon".

Bounty hunters have a number of different fees and permits that they need in order to legally perform their job. For many bounty hunters, the Guild takes care of this side of the business, so Guild members in good standing don't need to worry too much about it. OTOH, independents can try to save money by taking short cuts, but this can bite them in the butt if they get caught.

Hey RPGr's

Just posing 2 question(s) that were recently brought up my group's latest game,

What are "Imperial Papers" and how do they work? Which book makes reference to them?

The closest consensus that my group could come to is, they act like a "get out of jail free card" when facing imperial forces/ adversaries in a non-combat encounter.

Thanks

R2D2fan 

Can you give more context?

There's lots of datawork that could be considered "Imperial Papers." Bounty hunter licenses allow a being to collect (legal) bounties and give expanded (but not unlimited) weapons privileges in some areas. A captains license allows a being to legally command a private or corporately owned starship. A weapons loadout permit allows that ship to have weapons appropriate for defending itself in the regions it operates...

Or are you looking more for a "Skernak" like from Farscape, or Book's ID from Firefly? A special data bit, or code word that basically says "I'm a really important Imperial person traveling incognito and probably conducting very secret and important work so far above your pay grade it'll blow your mind so let me go about my business and move along because if you don't I'll have you killed so hard the population of this planet will be combing pieces of you out of their hair for the next 50 years!"

The False Credentials from Fly Casual go into this a little. It references "standard electronic ID cards" that contain permits, licenses, and credentials. The same book also states that each ship has to have a datapad with up to date information about the registration and licensing of the star ship and pilot. 

Numerous tie-in novels note the need for ID and licensing to be able to enter certain areas (such as the Core worlds), visas to be able to work or stay on certain worlds, and the like. 

Really "Imperial Paperwork" can mean just about anything. It could be a permit to carry weapons openly (like those a bounty hunter or law enforcement officer would have), permits to document Imperial proceedings (such as a press pass), or even land in certain starports (covered by a shipping license, work visa, etc.). 

Knowing which of these are needed in different worlds is the type of information I impart with Knowledge-Core Worlds or Outer Rim checks. 

From a shipping perspective, checkpoint agents and customs officials like to see documentation on everything involved: Pilots licenses with corresponding Photo ID, cargo and crew manifests matching the physical cargo being inspected and the crew found on the ship,* etc. Also, most weapons systems need to have some kind of extra paperwork to go along with them in the more civilized sections of the galaxy. Lastly, some kind of letter or document detailing a departure and destination location would go a long way to convince Imperial officials someone's operation is legitimate. 

These officials might be set up in random checkpoints along major hyperspace lanes, in orbit around a system or planet or inside a docking bay at a spaceport. 

In the Star Wars universe, these "papers" can be entirely electronic--meaning a skilled slicer could forge them and become a real asset to a smuggling crew.

Hope this helps. 

---------------

*If physical inspection is taking place; in some cases, documents might be sent electronically and, if they check out, the ship would be let through without a closer look.