Sign in to follow this  
Torgan Rialt

Firing Arcs Discrepancies on Same Ships (port vs starboard)

So in a game like Armada where firing arcs and which you can fire from can be really important. Since multiples were purchased, I decided to compare them. Keep in mind the comparisons are of the same exact ship. Sometimes, a base will have port completely different from starboard. I'm aware bow/stern firing arcs can differ from port/starboard. This is a question on arcs on the same type of bases but are completely different.

Check out the pictures.

http://imgur.com/a/p7p9b

I know some are almost the same, and that's fine. But take a look at the CR90B (one of the worst offenders). And the Gladiators. And the Assault Frigates.

Why does it matter? Because between one ship and another, you could be rolling different die depending on the facing of the ships and which you're exposed to.

Anyone else have the same issues? Is this an isolated printing issue? Is this even an issue?

So I guess my questions are:

1) Are the same ships (single base) supposed to have different firing arcs (side vs other side, I'm NOT comparing front vs side)?

2) Are the same ships (same ship, different bases) supposed to have different firing arcs?

Edited by Torgan Rialt

1) No, and they don't

2) No, and they don't (unless you mean the A and B variants of each ship)

...though I suspect either you or I need to be tested for color-blindness :)

Edited by DiabloAzul

I guess they are supposed to have the same arcs from side to side and ship to ship, and these are just small mistakes in printing and cutting the base inlays.

... So now that i know this i'm off looking for a Nebulon B with the smallest possible side arc. Bye!

Edited by ForceM

The printing on some of those is certainly off-set slightly compared to the die-cutting of the cardboard.

However I feel that the margin of error that this would create is minimal, especially compared to "wiggle" in the manoeuvre tool and "errors" that can create.

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you were referring to the dice. My apologies!

The arc lines aren't really different, but there's always a small degree of tolerance when cutting. In practice it won't make any difference - the angles are identical, the base is just offset a mm or two.

As a member of the Rebel alliance, it is your duty to use the ships assigned to your command. While they may not all perform to the exact metrics of the Imperial navy, under your command their fighting spirit will more than make up for any deficiencies / differences between ships.

May the force be with you!

This is just a variance in the cutting. As long as the print is not tilted, the angles are all identical. All that happened is that the cut made to the cardboard was shifted by less than a mm, vertical or horizontal as you have examples of both. Just compare the graphic for the dice pool and shields. You can see on the Nebulon-B the printing was shifted vertical, and on the CR90 it was shifted horizontal.

As a member of the Rebel alliance, it is your duty to use the ships assigned to your command. While they may not all perform to the exact metrics of the Imperial navy, under your command their fighting spirit will more than make up for any deficiencies / differences between ships.

Sounds like a death order

In a stern Imperial voice: You signed your own death order the moment you joined the Rebellion.

The variation is so minor, there are plenty of other things that already affect firing arcs from being 'perfect'.

-models being accidentally bumped/nudged during play

-differences and ability to fiddle around the maneuvering tool.  (thus affecting the final position of arcs after movement)

-shaky hands, other models, awkward table location of models while measuring firing arcs.

Edited by vyrago

In a stern Imperial voice: You signed your own death order the moment you joined the Rebellion.

I ought to be Force choked..... My sister keeps on killing my 2 VSD while my GSD and fighter screens does better than both VSD

I ought to be Force choked..... My sister keeps on killing my 2 VSD while my GSD and fighter screens does better than both VSD

I ought to be force chocked... Well this is a first, it would appear we have a volunteer!