Sign in to follow this  
staz0801

My Empire Squadrons all painted up

So, I just jumped in on this little project without really thinking through just how many tiny little ships I had to do (90 to be exact).  But, I'm glad I took the time.  I'm quite pleased with the outcome.  My collection here consists of the base set of 6 tie fighters, plus 3 squadron expansion packs.

Armada_Squadron_Imp_04_zpsxdn9obzn.jpg

Armada_Squadron_Imp_03_zpskykqhph0.jpg

Armada_Squadron_Imp_02_zpscnzs5wjj.jpg

Armada_Squadron_Imp_05_zpstygpiykd.jpg

Edited by staz0801

First, I used a gray model primer.  Then I used two coats of acrylic black ink just to make sure I had them all well covered and very black.  Then, I dry brushed them all with metallic silver acrylic.  Next, I went back over the black parts with the ink again and finally touched up some of the more silver parts one more time.  Then, I painted the red stripes on the Interceptors and painted the blue engine light in the back (not shown).

I used a squadron stand as a holder to paint all the pieces.  It basically kills one squadron from your collection because that stand gets pretty messed up by the time you're done.

First, I used a gray model primer.  Then I used two coats of acrylic black ink just to make sure I had them all well covered and very black.  Then, I dry brushed them all with metallic silver acrylic.  Next, I went back over the black parts with the ink again and finally touched up some of the more silver parts one more time.  Then, I painted the red stripes on the Interceptors and painted the blue engine light in the back (not shown).

I used a squadron stand as a holder to paint all the pieces.  It basically kills one squadron from your collection because that stand gets pretty messed up by the time you're done.

Interesting! I tried using ink on one of my TIEs and had a really hard time with it. I thought it was because the wing panels are so flat, but in hindsight it must have been because I didn't use primer. The X-Wing took ink well without priming, but I bet the primer is necessary on the TIEs to get the ink to stick to the flatter surfaces.

It seems to have worked very well for you! I'll have to give it another go.  What primer did you use?

This might solve my issues with painting my ties. Now my xwings I'm marking with those oil based paint sharpies and making random markings and lines like typical xwings and then running the white over them. More of a dry brush to be honest. It covers a good chunk but allows a worn look to the color, Black ink and boom. Only issue is trying to get the cockpit darker. I may do another layer on it before I do engine glow and darken the laser cannon on the wing folds a bit.