Sign in to follow this  
Edsel62

My modest efforts

I like the alternate blue rebel them you have going. I too have started using that sort of blue color to differentiate my rebel ships and give them an alternate look. Great minds must think alike. Imperial fighters look quite nice as well. 

I have another Assault Frigate but I want to finish painting my Y-Wings and X-Wings before I try to do something more involved with the third AF.  I also toy around with the idea of trying to put LEDs into one of my Victory SDs.  Of course by the time I get around to that the ISDs may be out.

Edsel,

That is fantastic work. Woudl you consider publishing a step by step tutorial on here of how you did the fighters? With all due respect to your humble heading, they are some of the best on here.

By the way, I used to own a 1958 Edsel. Fantastic car! Doesnt desrve the rep it has.

I have no idea how to go about writing a tutorial on painting.  All I did to the fighters was prime them with Armory white primer.  Then wash them with some Citadel Badab Black wash.  Then I simply took a 3/0 and 5/0 brush and an assortment of Reaper paints that I have and used what I though would look best.  I used my X-Wing game miniatures for examples and then changed around some colors due to the numbers of minis I was painting.  I use a big, swing-arm, magnifiying glass with circular florcent light to see what I am doing up close.

I do everything with brush and have never used an airbrush.  I'm 52 years old and have been painting minis on and off for about 3 and a half decades.  Frankly my hand is not as steady as it once was.

Edited by Edsel62

White primer for them all.  To make one of my TIE Advanced a blue-grey color (Vader's TIE) I hit it with some Citadel Asurmen Blue wash.

I didn't use any primer on the bigger ships since I was just modifying their paint some.  I finished everything by hitting them with some Armory Clear Matte Sealer.

Since the Assault Frigate Mk II wanted to flake off some when it was drying I gave it a double overcoat to hopefully keep the paint from chipping off.  I hit it with some Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic Coating (which is glossy but very durable) and then hit it with the matte sealer after that had dried.

Theeere we go, I couldn't see anything earlier because Pintrest was more interested in recruiting me than actually letting me see anything :)

Most h'excellent though, mate. Great variation on colours (especially those T-65's), clean looks, vibrant for the table top identification, and then they just bloody look good!

I've got a minor question: how is the armoury clear matte sealer? Does it frost the models any? I've had some pretty miserable experiences with the Armoury matte as well as GW's matte sprays, so I'm always interested to know if there's been any pebbling or white frosting left as a result.

Anyhow, looking forward to what other variations you'll work up. Cheers and keep it up, Edsel!

I've had good results with the Armory matte sealer.  As with any clear coat just go lightly, you can always add additional coats once it dries.  The finishes have stayed put so the double overcoat I did on the Assault Frigate did the trick.

I know that high humidity and a can not thoroughly shaken (mixed) can cause clear coat frosting, as can applying too heavy of a coat.  It has been very sticky (humid) around here for the last few weeks, fortunately I haven't had anything that needed a clear coat.

Edited by Edsel62