Sign in to follow this  
Haggis McHaggis

Protecting R&D -Advice.

Hi All, I've only been playing a few months and I am really liking my HB deck. I play with lots of economy cards and a well protected scoring remote. The games I have lost tend to be from R&D runs so I was wondering if anyone had any advice/preferences for ICE on R&D?

While the card pool it describes is dated, the fundamentals of the article remain strong:

http://thesatelliteuplink.blogspot.com/2014/02/shields-up-understanding-ice.html

Put simply, the runner usually needs to access R&D multiple times to win, so you want ice that is analog, preferably taxing, and while ETR is nice, you want it to continually put the runner into a decision as to where they apply pressure. Beefy ice like Heimdalls, Tollbooths, Viktor 2.0, or taxing sentries like Ichi 1.0 or 2.0 serve as a strong deterrent. An Ash on R&D at the right time will also help break an R&D lock, the horrible state of affairs where the runner has enough R&D Interfaces and enough credits to regularly run R&D and basically see every card before you do.