Sign in to follow this  
megamen

X17 = Trade Federation Battleship???

Well, my prequell hate stems from several things:

- CGI-effects as a substitute for plot and charme

- idiotic political geniuses

- Jar-Head Binks, a character who fits in like a teletubby into a western

- General "I'm a Vader for kids *cough* "- Grievous; they could have kept Dooku (a really good character) longer alive rather than introducing this lightsaber-copter

- autonomous battlerobots with a teletubbyesk speach pattern and behaviour who are rendered useless (or rather even more useless as they already are) when their control vessel is destroyed

- midichlorians (I think of them as forceparasites. They infest force users, the stronger the user is, the more parasites there are)

- Senator Jar-Head Binks...

- Padme child molesting young Anakin

- The clean look of the movies

- Leia is remembering her mother in RotJ and describing her to Luke...

- The Death Star in Ep 2 (?). It needed 20 years to get build, the DSII ca. 4 years

- Gungans...well slap-stick in general.

That list is a good start. ;)

Have you seen Plinkett's reviews?

Plinkett over exaggerates his reviews. A guy over on the theforce.net did a complete rebuttal of many of his points.

But, when it comes to one point that I hate being used, it's the the "Over used CGI" schtick. The prequels used more practical effects than the original trilogy. If I recall correctly, RotS used more than the OT combined. CGI hate also seems to be a "trendy" thing.

Now, on the Battledroid speech part. Only RotS did that. I didn't like it but I see why army robots would have that voice.

Point being prequel hate has some justifications, but saying "I don't want ANY prequel ship in MY game" is really pathetic.

Whats with all the prequel hate, i myself actually prefer the prequel trioligy and liked jar jar when i was younger, though yeah i think that is on a corvette

"All" the prequel hate? If my memory is correct, there was only one post that said they didn't want prequel stuff in general (and two that didn't want Clone Wars stuff.) It was my post. The reason is that, in addition to prequel tech being hideously out of date, I do hate the prequels. They were absolutely terrible movies in every metric (except for revenue generation, and visual effects, which were out of hand.)

You are welcome to a different opinion, but that's why I hate the prequels.

To say they were terrible in every way minus certain points is an awfully subjective claim since many people don't share that opinion. However, this particular topic is not for this thread. 

- General "I'm a Vader for kids *cough* "- Grievous; they could have kept Dooku (a really good character) longer alive rather than introducing this lightsaber-copter
- autonomous battlerobots with a teletubbyesk speach pattern and behaviour who are rendered useless (or rather even more useless as they already are) when their control vessel is destroyed
- midichlorians (I think of them as forceparasites. They infest force users, the stronger the user is, the more parasites there are)
- The Death Star in Ep 2 (?). It needed 20 years to get build, the DSII ca. 4 years

That list is a good start. ;)

Have you seen Plinkett's reviews?

Plinkett over exaggerates his reviews. A guy over on the theforce.net did a complete rebuttal of many of his points.

But, when it comes to one point that I hate being used, it's the the "Over used CGI" schtick. The prequels used more practical effects than the original trilogy. If I recall correctly, RotS used more than the OT combined. CGI hate also seems to be a "trendy" thing.

Now, on the Battledroid speech part. Only RotS did that. I didn't like it but I see why army robots would have that voice.

Point being prequel hate has some justifications, but saying "I don't want ANY prequel ship in MY game" is really pathetic.

I read the "rebuttal", it relies on the very same nitpicking that he accuses RLM of(and there are a LOT of nits in the prequels).   

Plinketts reviews have a dark, "shock value", humor to them. They aren't for everyone but most of the points are valid.

Whats with all the prequel hate, i myself actually prefer the prequel trioligy and liked jar jar when i was younger, though yeah i think that is on a corvette

"All" the prequel hate? If my memory is correct, there was only one post that said they didn't want prequel stuff in general (and two that didn't want Clone Wars stuff.)

Objects to people complaining about prequel hate on the grounds that there's hardly any in evidence ... goes on to help fill the thread with prequel hate.

Personally I don't care why you love or hate the prequels and/or clone wars. That's your prerogative (in my personal headcanon Alien 3 and Terminator 3 simply don't exist), and at this point nobody's going to change their minds one way or another.

Vis-a-vis Armada - the prequels and Clone Wars are formal "new-canon", and have a significant amounts of capital ship combat. So it's understandable and totally reasonable that those whole like *anything* about them will want to speculate about them and advocate for their inclusion.

Again speaking purely personally, I think that's an interesting gameplay possibility because, in my headcanon, Clone War tech is not significantly inferior to Civil War tech, simply has a different design philosophy. Not so much a WWI vs WWII distinction as perhaps more of a Napoleonic Wars vs American Civil War distinction.

Edited by adorablerocket

"All" the prequel hate? If my memory is correct, there was only one post that said they didn't want prequel stuff in general (and two that didn't want Clone Wars stuff.)

Objects to people complaining about prequel hate on the grounds that there's hardly any in evidence ... goes on to help fill the thread with prequel hate.

Personally I don't care why you love or hate the prequels and/or clone wars. That's your prerogative (in my personal headcanon Alien 3 and Terminator 3 simply don't exist), and at this point nobody's going to change their minds one way or another.

Vis-a-vis Armada - the prequels and Clone Wars are formal "new-canon", and have a significant amounts of capital ship combat. So it's understandable and totally reasonable that those whole like *anything* about them will want to speculate about them and advocate for their inclusion.

Again speaking purely personally, I think that's an interesting gameplay possibility because, in my headcanon, Clone War tech is not significantly inferior to Civil War tech, simply has a different design philosophy. Not so much a WWI vs WWII distinction as perhaps more of a Napoleonic Wars vs American Civil War distinction.

This is actually backed up in universe as there are ships stated to be 1,000 years old still in service (and this is canon).

I would love to see CIS remnants as playable in Armada. They have some great ships (though not a fan of the TF battleship itself).

And the reason the ships in the prequel triology look cleaner and sometimes more advanced is because the republic now empire was bank rupted by the clone wars as that was part of sidious plan and instead of paying off the dept he increased his army and navy to sizes that have never been seen before and improving on older designs thus driving the galaxy into poverty.

I really like the droid voices, and they make sense the neimodians used droids as bodyguards as they grew up in a culture were they can't trust any living being. The droid remarks serve two benfits to make the neimodians feel smarter then them and to feel safe as they sound pretty harmless. If you watch the clone wars they definitely hit some comedy gold and make them sorta seem like good guys making them more relatable as neimodians are scared of their own shadow, how much more scared would they be of an army of silent emotionless robots shaped as their skeletons.

Both the rebels and the empire have used modified clone era ships at one point or another, so its not to far a stretch, and they would also be widely available after the clone wars.

And the reason the ships in the prequel triology look cleaner and sometimes more advanced is because the republic now empire was bank rupted by the clone wars as that was part of sidious plan and instead of paying off the dept he increased his army and navy to sizes that have never been seen before and improving on older designs thus driving the galaxy into poverty.

I really like the droid voices, and they make sense the neimodians used droids as bodyguards as they grew up in a culture were they can't trust any living being. The droid remarks serve two benfits to make the neimodians feel smarter then them and to feel safe as they sound pretty harmless. If you watch the clone wars they definitely hit some comedy gold and make them sorta seem like good guys making them more relatable as neimodians are scared of their own shadow, how much more scared would they be of an army of silent emotionless robots shaped as their skeletons.

Both the rebels and the empire have used modified clone era ships at one point or another, so its not to far a stretch, and they would also be widely available after the clone wars.

...ugh....

I'm just curious, was this ship thing and bankrupt republic all "canon" before or after the prequel movies? To me it just seems like a shoehorned excuse for little kids and man-children to accept as the reason behind the differences between the OT and PT rather than Lucasfilm showing off what they could do with their latest pc buddies at the time. Yeah I know, I'm that guy. But seriously...

IMHO we will eventually see Trade Federation ships. If for no other reason than marketing. The Star Wars big ship universe is even smaller than the snub fighter world of X-Wing...especially on the Rebel side.

After another Wave or 2 FFG will be out of ships to produce...so it will be time for other factions...although 1 of those "factions" could easily be a post Palpatine empire with ship repaints and new cards (Thrawn, Palleon, C'Boath, etc).

...ugh....

I'm just curious, was this ship thing and bankrupt republic all "canon" before or after the prequel movies? To me it just seems like a shoehorned excuse for little kids and man-children to accept as the reason behind the differences between the OT and PT rather than Lucasfilm showing off what they could do with their latest pc buddies at the time. Yeah I know, I'm that guy. But seriously...

I don't really know about "Canon" explanation, but if there's one thing I won't rag the prequels for it's the cleanliness

we were witnessing the so called Golden (Gilded?) Era of the republic coming to a close, which is sharply different from the empire having been in power for some time. It's a striking visual difference that lets you know you're in a truly different world.

as for the characterization of the Neimodians, I really ******* wish that had been in the movie. A culture of backstabbing, swindling, cowardly assholes would have been far more interesting than a pair of incompetent, cowardly assholes (and provide a great reason for the silliness of the droids...although that scene where they deployed from their carriers justified their spindly appearance, it didn't do much for how or why they talked. Notice when they're trying to be intimidating they don't say a peep :P)

Edited by ficklegreendice

- Practical effects are excellent, but sometimes CGI is needed. Sometimes CGI is just not needed (Jar-Jar was never needed).

- Savants. Brilliant at one thing, moron at others.

- On this, you are absolutely completely correct.

- I too think Dooku was a better villain, and should have been the final boss before Palpatine.

- The Battledroids are just so... awful. Incompetent software.

- I view them as closer to mitochondria - the cell's power generator.

- I don't think that's what happens, but Jake Lloyd was just awful. The kid could not act at all. They should have hired a kid who was two or three years older, to make him closer in age, and maybe one that could act.

- Core Worlds (mostly) in Prequel vs Rim Worlds in OT. Core Worlds are always going to be cleaner, that's where the money and politics are.

- This one too me reads as more how a child remembers their youth. I mean, personally most of my memories as a really young child are actually memories of people telling me about things I did. Youthful memories are always bad, fragmented, etc. So her memory of her real mother could have come from a story her father told her, her confusing her adoptive mother with imaginings of her biological mother... a whole host of things. Childhood memories are generally bad...

- Were they actually building it, or just planning it? Who says that the DS2 was not in construction at the time that DS1 was going operational? Questions I really do not know the answers to.

- Agreed.

I dislike aspects of the prequels, like some bits, but I will watch them (II and III) when I watch the movies in Machete Order.

I really just like responding with my own bullet points.

IMHO we will eventually see Trade Federation ships. If for no other reason than marketing. The Star Wars big ship universe is even smaller than the snub fighter world of X-Wing...especially on the Rebel side.

After another Wave or 2 FFG will be out of ships to produce...so it will be time for other factions...although 1 of those "factions" could easily be a post Palpatine empire with ship repaints and new cards (Thrawn, Palleon, C'Boath, etc).

I disagree, because even though after wave 2 ffg will be out of ships...New movie! Presto New source of ships without crossing eras :) and once they run out of those... New spin-off and 2nd movie in New trilogy!!! So they should be set for ships for a long time.

I disagree, because even though after wave 2 ffg will be out of ships...New movie! Presto New source of ships without crossing eras :) and once they run out of those... New spin-off and 2nd movie in New trilogy!!! So they should be set for ships for a long time.

But the new movie is a new era, and being placed 35 years in the future makes it further removed than the CW stuff.

But the new movie is a new era, and being placed 35 years in the future makes it further removed than the CW stuff.

But the galactic civil war is still going on, at least to some degree with the imperial remnant, plus the smart marketing thing to do will be selling new ships from the movies