Sign in to follow this  
Green Knight

Do you play with both sides?

I play both factions full on. Our group only has a few guys that play both, and an equal number of Rebel and Imperial only players. I find playing both is generally more rewarding as I can diversify my playing experience. Then there is always that know your enemy thing.

I'm providing for other people so I have to buy everything. Of course, FFGs busines model is to put key cards for one ship in a different pack to manipulate the sales market. A great example of this in Armada is Leading Shots in the Corvette pack.

It's a brilliant strategy but anathema to their motto of "all game, no chase" if your goal is to focus on one faction or specific ship choice.

Edited by Boris_the_Dwarf

I've never understood the Blue on Blue hate. It's just another strategy level. And frankly it fits enough of the stories to make sense. Rebel on rebel involves some pirates. Imp on Imp is warlords battling it out. Besides which... It's a strategy game. Not a storytelling game.

So yes, I play both sides. And I enjoy Blue on Blue.

Well, without the Star Wars story attached to it, it's just a game that frankly, I would never have bothered buying and would never bother playing. I play it because it's Star Wars, not because it's such a brilliant game. Constantly playing blue on blue diminishes that story aspect. There's only so many times you can run 'wargames' or 'training' matches before you get heartily sick of it. I want to use my Rebel fighters to take on Imperial ships, and I want to use my Star Destroyers to crush the Rebellion, not fight endless blue on blue engagements. I'd much prefer it if the standard tournament format required players to bring two fleets and alternate between them in each round.

Rebels only. I -might- pick up some Imperial stuff at some point, but I'm really hesitant to. My X-Wing group has slowly been coming over to this game and we're sick of cross faction buying, so we have dedicated players on both sides of the board.

The Neb-B and CR-90 are both used in universe by the Imperials, so game Rebel v Rebel could be construed as Imp v Rebel so long as the "imp" player refrains from named units (or pretends their differently named).  The squadrons would be a little harder to stomach.  6 CR-90 "Imp" swarm for the win!

The Neb-B and CR-90 are both used in universe by the Imperials, so game Rebel v Rebel could be construed as Imp v Rebel so long as the "imp" player refrains from named units (or pretends their differently named).  The squadrons would be a little harder to stomach.  6 CR-90 "Imp" swarm for the win!

Or 7 CR-90bs - swarming in to deal with the Rebels...General Dodonna commanding for the Imperials...and his twin brother Dodonna comming the Rebels :D

I like to collect and play both factions - when playing with my brother, I am currently the only one owning any ships, but still enjoy the games too much. He also provides countless other games without asking me to contribute anything else but spare time, so it all stays fair. 

Playing both factions lets you experience the very unique ways rebs/imps may be played - theres just so much variety, and even being a loyal imperial at heart, I enjoy the rebell playstyle every other gaming day.

You gain a much better insight into the opposing side by playing them. Much better than reading about tactics etc. on this (excellent) forum or elsewhere.

That's why education and training usually had practical elements to reinforce and scaffold the theory.

I'm sure most Moffs use simulator sessions, most Rebels are actually flying stolen Imperial vessels anyway!

I've never understood the Blue on Blue hate. It's just another strategy level. And frankly it fits enough of the stories to make sense. Rebel on rebel involves some pirates. Imp on Imp is warlords battling it out. Besides which... It's a strategy game. Not a storytelling game.So yes, I play both sides. And I enjoy Blue on Blue.

Well, without the Star Wars story attached to it, it's just a game that frankly, I would never have bothered buying and would never bother playing. I play it because it's Star Wars, not because it's such a brilliant game. Constantly playing blue on blue diminishes that story aspect. There's only so many times you can run 'wargames' or 'training' matches before you get heartily sick of it. I want to use my Rebel fighters to take on Imperial ships, and I want to use my Star Destroyers to crush the Rebellion, not fight endless blue on blue engagements. I'd much prefer it if the standard tournament format required players to bring two fleets and alternate between them in each round.
Agreed

It's a pity there would never be time for a tournament format where you play your opponent twice, once with each faction...

Or even swap forces (although I think playing twice with your own lists from either side would be better)

Edited by DarthBadger

Are there any in-universe examples of outright Rebel on Rebel conflict? That doesn't happen until much later in the Second Galactic Civil War to my knowledge. 

After Endor the Imperials fought each other relatively often (Warlords). 

As a purely casual player, I play both. In fact, I'm the Armada supplier for my gaming group, while others purchase whatever we need to play the games that strike their fancy. Usually, I'll let my opponent pick who he wants to play, then I'll play the other faction, as I enjoy both.

Our group tends to delegate specific games to each person depending on their interests. I am considered the Star Wars guy in our group so I've been buying for both sides and facilitating Armada sessions for everyone.

Very expensive. On the other hand, their wargame collections have been gathering dust for some time now. :)   

In college I was asked wether I played both. I took the compliment and moved along.

I knew this girl that did and she had a blast.

I would imagine this question is somehow Armada related. ...

So yes, I collect and play both sides. How open I have become as I age.