Sign in to follow this  
clontroper5

Lets Talk Tactics Ep. II ( Gladiator class Strategy guide)

Welcome to Lets talk Tactics episode 2

fill free to add any comments, suggestions or corrections as I am only 1 person and have a limited perspective, I will add new things to these posts as I discover new approaches or they are suggested in the reply's.

The Gladiator Class Star Destroyer comes in 2 variants (duh) Gladiator-1, and Gladiator-2. The differences are that the Gladiator 2 has 1 red die in the side arcs and 1 additional anti-squadron die at a cost of 6 additional points.

The Gladiator is used in an aggressive role I will call a Hunter, or as general support for the rest of the fleet.

Hunter: The Gladiator is built to do one thing, destroy rebel ships. It is hands down the most aggressive ship in the game currently and is generally used as a forward alpha strike for the fleet. this ship is best used to "hunt" down a target enemy and disable it quickly.

Unlike the Victory Class which, other that being slow, has no obvious weakness the gladiator is lacking in long range fire power focusing almost entirely on close range weapons.(black Dice) In Fact the Gladiator-1 has only black dice in 2 of it's arcs, this means that as long as your opponent is at range you are going to lose.

But on the flip side of the coin as long as you are in close range almost nothing in the game is capable of out damaging you (unless you are point blank in front of a VSD)

Sample Load-outs:

First off Screed is the Glad's Creed as often as practical you should bring Admiral Screed when you bring any gladiator.

[*]Gladiator I-Class Star Destroyer(56 pts)
-Wulff Yularen (7 pts)
-Demolisher (10 pts)

There it is, the dreaded Engine tech Demolisher. Talk about aggressive the combo allows the gsd to change speed every turn (Wulff makes new nav tokens every turn) and then allows the glad to take an additional 1 speed maneuver giving it a total of 4 yaw at Every Speed (unless you do speed 1 without techs) then demolisher which is probably the best ability in the game today allows you to fire AFTER YOU MOVE!!!!  I personally just run demolisher without engine techs because the title is good enough that the demolisher doesn't need them to set up shots. OH and Screed+ Assault Concussion missiles= dead things

[*]Gladiator II-Class Star Destroyer(62 pts)
-Wulff Yularen (7 pts)
-Engine tech (5 pts)
-Insidious (3 pts)

Insidious or the generic gsd on the other hand gains alot from Engine techs which allows it to set up shots

other then that basic setup just a naked gsd is probably the way to go

Other upgrades to consider:

Expanded launchers: While i personally do not run these because i consider the ACM's to be better in some situations these could be considered

Engineering team: These can be used to up your engineering to 4 which allows the regen of 2 shield a turn and if paired with Wulff/tarkin can be used to discard 1 damage card a turn using only tokens

using the Gladiator Class:

-Objectives: Good ones to pick for the gsd are Superior positions, fleet ambush (this is also the objective I would pick from my opponent if i was player 1 gsd wants to be close and this brings the enemy closer) and intel sweep (when you have engine tech load outs)

But what i would do above all is make sure you have initiative and can be first player (if your only gsd is demolisher first player is much less important) This is so after you spend multiple turns setting up that 1 close range shot you can actually take that shot. so take like a 10 point initiative bid, (much more than that becomes unpractical)

-setup: I recommend placing your gladiator last during setup (the demolisher or most dangerous gsd if you have multiple) and putting it in a position it close and destroy any stragglers or flanker your opponent has, if there are no enemy ships apart from his main group use you gsd to target the most important enemy ship (this will usually the carrier or the flagship)

-opening (turns 1-2): CHARGE!!!! Generally you will want to go full speed ahead and try to Annihilate that ship you identified in setup. A more experienced opponent will try and  focus fire your GSD before he has done much damage and if he set ups in a close formation you should wait for the other ships in your fleet before engaging. i recommend talking a navigate and an engineering token during the turns your closing

-Middle Game (turns 3-4) By turn 4 your gsd should be fully engaged and blasting your enemy's into space debris. I recommend using concentrate fire during these turns, Also spending your engineering token from earlier will be a good idea. When fighting a Bomber list, now is the time to do damage with your anti sqaudren but focus on killing the carrier if you can

-Late Game (turns 5-6) By now the gsd should have killed something and ifs its not dead, You have succeeded :) get out of there and start singing Staying Alive Use navigate to get away and engineering to repair as necessary. If you are still healthy Fill free to unleash your wrath on a the next victim ship.

Support Role: Sometimes you will just bring the Gsd to support your other ships, mainly to cover the flanks of your victory or as anti-squadron fire support.

this topic is kinda borin- I mean broad basically if it fits you can use it, this is generally a naked gsd that follows the rest of your fleet.

I personally don't run engine techs on my GSD because it is fast enough and only useful against CR90s

I generally don't put on mine either but it is awesome on the gsd and really picks up it's strength especially when not running demolisher

Fun fact engine techs let you repair 2 damage cards from the station in 1 turn if you set it up right, it can also be Used to double ram to deal 2 damage tohull to finish off an enemy.

I LOVE Engine Techs! They let me at speed 1 take a double 45° turn! Actually any 45° turn is amazing then positing those arcs are vital

I love how maneuveravle glad+engine techs, its defenitely won me some games

I do wonder if the GSD - 2 upgrade is ever worth the points

perhaps in an imperial mirror where 3 health ties simply get diced by 2 anti-squadron dice, the only thing you're getting is a black --> red on the side (which arguably constitutes a downgrade unless you like chancing into accuracies). I guess there might be some merit to combining side and front arc fire to basically turn into a nebulon with a lot more bite at close range?

Gsd - 2

*Skreed

Gsd - 2

Gsd - 2

*ACM

*Insidious

Gsd - 1

*Wulf

*ACM

*Demolisher

(310)

when wave 2 rolls around and I can get some people to lend me their gsds...

Edited by ficklegreendice

perhaps in an imperial mirror where 3 health ties simply get diced by 2 anti-squadron dice, the only thing you're getting is a black --> red on the side (which arguably constitutes a downgrade unless you like chancing into accuracies). I guess there might be some merit to combining side and front arc fire to basically turn into a nebulon with a lot more bite at close range?

It depends on how you set up your attack run. If, as the strategy guide suggests, you are aiming to get as close as possible to your opponent, there will be a point that you're in range of their red/blue guns but out of range of your black. That's when you'll be wanting some red to hit back and maybe burn off a token. Sure, your post move will be devastating but you only get one attack vs two. And if you're already running a beefy (expensive) gladiator, you'll want as many shots as you can manage. 

Of course, as you noted a naked GSD-2 is like a scary Neb-B. Honestly, if you already have a Demolisher built out, a naked GSD-2 might be a great addition to the fleet. It gives you anti-squadron options, as well as murderous close-range dice, and will likely be ignored as your opponent focuses on your much scarier Demolisher. You throw your Demolisher into the fray and watch it beat down a VSD or MkII. Your opponent devotes all of their resources towards killing it (because you almost have to).

Once it's finally destroyed, you waltz in with a second one to mop up the survivors. You can easily fit in a VSD plus tie support with those two and you have yourself a tough squad that can put the hurt on any number of threats. 

Edited by Simonsays3

Gsd - 2

*Skreed

Gsd - 2

Gsd - 2

*ACM

*Insidious

Gsd - 1

*Wulf

*ACM

*Demolisher

(310)

I personally like the gsd-2 better then the gsd-1, and can tell you that i love that 1 red die, it has really helped me do a lot of extra 1 damage attacks before i could shoot with black dice, and while the anti squad armament isn't going to bring any rebel squads down by itself the rebels have alot of hit points and every source of damage has been hugely beneficial. (plus the gsd-2 is only 6 addition points)

that said i do see were your coming from and these are of course situational upgrades.

Gsd - 2

*Skreed

Gsd - 2

Gsd - 2

*ACM

*Insidious

Gsd - 1

*Wulf

*ACM

*Demolisher

(310)

I've never not taken the GSD2. There has not yet been a game where I wasn't glad about those extra red dice at one point or another.