Sign in to follow this  
Crabbok

6' x 3' play area is WAY TOO BIG

I make due with 5'x3', since that's the size of my table. In order for it not to translate to near guaranteed Imperial victory, though, I have to set up TV trays next to the table for cards and everything, because the Rebels find every square inch of real estate precious.

As several people have already stated, 3x3 massively favours the Imps. They just deploy a Vic in the corner and prevent rebels from flanking them. On 6x3, the setup area is smaller, thus preventing this 'strategy'.

Also, whilst in some games/objectives you might not use all of the play area, in most games you should be. This is certainly the case with faster and more manouverable ships that outflank and attempt to avoid certain firing arcs. Also, as we start to play 400+ point games, there will be bigger bases and/or more ships, as well as the potential to have more fighters - I dare say at this point there will be people saying the play area is TOO SMALL ;)

I am planning to buy a 4 x 8 piece of plywood, the store will cut it down for you with a panel saw, usually for free.  I plan to cut it down to 6 x 4.  I am then going to make some L shaped runners to hook over one end of the table that are screwed into the table topped. May fashion a removable one or slotted one for the other end, or just use a quick clamp right in the center, this will keep if from tipping if someone leans on an edge (sooner or later, they will.  It is their destiny)  I will likely glue felt strips to the bottom or fabric wrap the whole thing so it does not mar the table underneath.  Then, can lay game mats on it, or may get a banner printed and attached. this will transform my 2'10"x 5' table into a full on sector of contested space. will work good for xwing as well, and it will not take up much space the rest of the time.

I've found that 6'x3' gives me enough space to, at least as a rebel player, 'disengage' crippled ships. If I have a frigate or corvette hanging on by a couple of hull points it's good to have the option of pulling them out of range at speed 3 or 4 without running out of board.

If anything I'd say it's one of the advantages of taking light ships.

We need to think about the future as well, the largest ships we have right now are medium. When a large ship is added (thinking of ISD) and it can move at speed 3, it will probably need some room especially if there are more than one on the field. I think the size of the play area displays great foresight by FFG.

I am planning to buy a 4 x 8 piece of plywood, the store will cut it down for you with a panel saw, usually for free.  I plan to cut it down to 6 x 4.  I am then going to make some L shaped runners to hook over one end of the table that are screwed into the table topped. May fashion a removable one or slotted one for the other end, or just use a quick clamp right in the center, this will keep if from tipping if someone leans on an edge (sooner or later, they will.  It is their destiny)  I will likely glue felt strips to the bottom or fabric wrap the whole thing so it does not mar the table underneath.  Then, can lay game mats on it, or may get a banner printed and attached. this will transform my 2'10"x 5' table into a full on sector of contested space. will work good for xwing as well, and it will not take up much space the rest of the time.

I've been thinking of something very similar. Because I don't want to have to store something permanently 6x4, I'm thinking of getting two 3x4 pieces of plywood and joining them with hinges. I would put a little compacted foam along the bottom so that when it was folded out the hinges were covered by the foam to protect the table and so that it didn't slide about. Could even spray it black and dot some stars all over it.

I like your idea about the L-shaped runners.

I've found that 6'x3' gives me enough space to, at least as a rebel player, 'disengage' crippled ships. If I have a frigate or corvette hanging on by a couple of hull points it's good to have the option of pulling them out of range at speed 3 or 4 without running out of board.

If anything I'd say it's one of the advantages of taking light ships.

I've found 6x3 alright so far. I think it could get a little cramped when we go up to 400 but given the speed of the ships if you made the table larger you might need to increase the turn limit.

Edited by knasserII