Sign in to follow this  
GM Hooly

Quick Draw Concealed Holsters

What Mouthymerc said is, in my personal opinion, the only way to do something like that. Only I'd require the player to spend a hardpoint from his armour (whatever type it might be) in order to incorporate the rail that launches the gun into the wielder's hand.

The Quick Draw talent specifically states that the weapon or item must be readily accessible. Every GM is free to run his campaign the way he wants to, but I don't allow Quick Draw of concealed weapons.If you're hiding the weapon under clothes, at the small of your back or in an ankle holster or similar it's not readily accessible. You trade speed for concealment, which is a fair deal in my book.

I absolutely see the point of your argument, and I don't disagree with it. It's just that to me a player trying this smacks a little of trying to circumvent a rule that hinders him, which carries the distinct whif of cheese. So if something like this comes off I try to make it so the player in question has to suffer some sort of handicap to balance out that he's making an end run around a rule. Another option would be to have the arm slide be slightly heavy or cumbersome, perhaps adding a setback die or two to all actions that require the use of that hand.

It's just that to me a player trying this smacks a little of trying to circumvent a rule that hinders him, which carries the distinct whif of cheese.

How so?

So if something like this comes off I try to make it so the player in question has to suffer some sort of handicap to balance out that he's making an end run around a rule.

I don't understand what rule is being end run.

One can take the Filed Front Sight mod now for 25cr. Personally I would up the cost but otherwise it meets the needs what is needed here. It gives the Quick Draw talent and with the mod increases the ability to conceal the weapon. It uses a weapon HP and it has a negative modifier in that it increases combat checks at ranges beyond short. Reflavour it as a concealed pop out holster and you're all set.

Hey All,

One of my PCs wants this. I guess it would be similar to the one used by one of the crew in Aliens: Resurrection. Is there such a thing and if so where? If not, any suggestions?

There is the quick draw talent. Just have the player fluff it like a spring loaded sleeve gun and call it a day.  No need to overly complicate things.

Hey All,

One of my PCs wants this. I guess it would be similar to the one used by one of the crew in Aliens: Resurrection. Is there such a thing and if so where? If not, any suggestions?

There is the quick draw talent. Just have the player fluff it like a spring loaded sleeve gun and call it a day.  No need to overly complicate things.

Only would work if the player has access to the Quick Draw talent in his spec tree.

It's a gadget thing.  You could do it with something like the filed sight and a wrist mount attachments, but you need 3 HPs, or you could just have Quickdraw and use a wrist mount for 2 HPs.  A tinkered holdout could do the wrist thing, but not the Quickdraw also.  Need 3 HPs imo.  That could be done on the armor as well I suppose.

Edited by 2P51

It's a baseline I think for establishing a fair HP cost.  The PC is looking to get what amounts to 4 HPs worth of device on a small blaster.  Be a lot easier to just have a Scoundrel with Quickdraw and Hidden Storage.

Edited by 2P51

It's just that to me a player trying this smacks a little of trying to circumvent a rule that hinders him, which carries the distinct whif of cheese.

I disagree. It just sounds like something that would be cool for a smuggler or bounty hunter to have. And it's something that's pretty cinematic and fun. Alien sure, but we also see it in Django Unchained, Taxi Driver, and probably a few others I'm forgetting. Based on the size alone, it would almost have to be a Holdout Blaster so I wouldn't worry about too much cheese. For comparison purposes I would say maybe take a look at the Vamblade from DC. As I recall, it is concealed and spring loaded in the same way the PC is wanting to do with his pistol.

I'd do it like this:

- Strict limitation on the size of the weapon

- Take a Concelment Holster and give it an option for a Mod that adds the Quick Draw talent

- Give it potential to break on a Despair

- Require a HP from the weapon

Hey All,

That really isn't a Quick Draw holster. It would still be a maneuver to get the weapon out into your hands with it as far as I can tell. It's just a "clever" idea on hiding the weapon somewhere near the hand and is really more of a rube goldberg type of mechanism as so much can go wrong to make it not work right.

Why don't you just reskin the Vamblade from Dangerous Covenant, and instead of a blade it deploys a holdout blaster, maybe one with fewer shots than normal? The price  could be 500+the blaster's price

Two suggestion for the weapon:  the 12 Defender holdout blaster from Far Horizon (25 credits)  or the Palm Shooter from Lords of Nal Hutta (300 credits)

He's want to do this with a hold out blaster. He's a gambler and just wants a weapon to use to get out of a tight spot.

So it sounds more like a fluff/flavor thing than an exploit. I'd probably go with Mouthy's idea and call it a day.

More importantly: Today I Learned they made more Alien movies past Alien and Aliens. Who knew!