Sign in to follow this  
FTS Gecko

All those naysayers who said a Nebulon B Frigate was too big for X-Wing...

That model looks phenomenal! How long before we have 1/450 Armada? ;-)

Where's the file for that star destroyer playmat? (And yes, I too would fly my Rebels right through that giant blind spot on the side.)

This looks like the two part 1/450 version? Amazing model.. not cheap though  :o

Yep, it's the 1/450.  So in scale with the Corvette, if not the fighters.

That thing is amazing. If there was a higher-resolution version of it I'd be seriously tempted. WSF just isn't my thing.

If there was a higher resolution version of it I'd be bankrupt, and Mel would be living on a tropical island somewhere LOL

1st: I'm super jealous of that beautiful ship on your table!

2nd: I almost think the "correct" scale for a Nebulon B would be something like x-wing/CR-90 = CR-90/Nebulon B. So: 270/450 = 450/X (solve for X). I think that gives us a scale of 1/750.

I'm not 100 percent sure what actual size that gives us for the nebulon B at the 1/750 scale (my math gets really hazy...), but I think that should leave us something quite nice.

But the point is that it shouldn't be on the same scale as the CR-90, but rather on a scale that is a linear progression from the CR-90. Doing it that way leaves you with a huge (and Huge) ship that also fits on your table.

I also think maybe a ship that big should have 3 sections instead of 2 sections. Not for the stability of it, per se, but to give it more options and more oomph on the table. More hardpoints, more teams, more crew, and a 3rd action per turn. To be honest, that 3rd action would be incredibly important. Huge ships are nearly as starved for action economy as they are for energy.

Well I don't think you need it to move after all the x-wing video game just had cap ships remain stationary most of the time.

Makes it easy to do bombing runs against but it has so many anti fighter turrets it would have a decent element of risk.

1st: I'm super jealous of that beautiful ship on your table!

Cheers, I'm grateful to mel for actually doing it!

2nd: I almost think the "correct" scale for a Nebulon B would be something like x-wing/CR-90 = CR-90/Nebulon B. So: 270/450 = 450/X (solve for X). I think that gives us a scale of 1/750.

I'm not 100 percent sure what actual size that gives us for the nebulon B at the 1/750 scale (my math gets really hazy...), but I think that should leave us something quite nice.

Actually, mel did a sliding scale for the Epic ships and did a version of his Nebulon B that followed the sliding scale used for the Rebel Transport and Tantive IV.  It was done at just over 1/600 scale and clocks in about 50cm long I believe.  I'm sure there's some pictures of the smaller version knocking around somewhere.

Then he did the 1/450 version as well, for people like me who just like huge stuff.  :)

Oh hey! Excellent!

I was thinking about the design problem (that you'd already solved), and probably came off sounding like I was criticising your awesome work.

A foot and a half long is just about perfect for a Nebulon B. Now to create a dial and rules. :)

Lucasfilm has let garage sellers of lightsabers continue in the past... At least until they start actually making profits and then they move in. Historically Lucasfilm has been rather supportive of fan ingenuity. The Pink Five fan series even got a nod in licensed fiction.

Let's see if Disney changes that...

Edit: wow sorry... iPad browser didn't load enough of the page to see that we've moved on...

Edited by LagJanson

Lucasfilm has let garage sellers of lightsabers continue in the past... At least until they start actually making profits and then they move in. Historically Lucasfilm has been rather supportive of fan ingenuity. The Pink Five fan series even got a nod in licensed fiction.

Let's see if Disney changes that...

Edit: wow sorry... iPad browser didn't load enough of the page to see that we've moved on...

Seems like there could be some smart sort of "non pro", or "small scale" or something licensing where a company could let its fans add to the product ecosystem, but wouldn't be allowed to make much money off it. And, obviously, they wouldn't be allowed to make a product that makes the actual license holder look bad. No " Luke Skywalker slaughters [real life ethnic group]" toys.

I'm not sure how to draw the line, exactly, but a recognition that superfans doing awesome stuff makes everything more awesome is useful. There needs to be a way to let Mel keep making Nebulon Bs, but not letting him make (say) X-Wings that directly compete with FFGs.

Likewise, someone who builds a movie-quality set of stormtrooper armor should not be hit with a CD notice.