Sign in to follow this  
FTS Gecko

All those naysayers who said a Nebulon B Frigate was too big for X-Wing...

I dunno, have you considered being static as an option?  

Yep, we're actually considering using it as an obstacle alongside the other Epic ships in place of asteroids during a standard game.

As to an actual movement dial, Gadge has is right - 1, 2 (maybe 3) straights are easy enough to manage, it's just the banks that are an issue.  1 banks only (although it is fun watching that tail end sweep across the board with a 2 bank)  And of course the full stop option.

Yeah, sorry about the price. Shapeways changed the pricing system a while back and made it double its price. Everyone who bought it did it before that.

Those are really cool pictures FTS Gecko, you are pretty much my unofficial publicist :D

Mel, did you ever look into getting them recast to sell at a cheaper price? I keep seeing all these ships on Starship Modeler, but of course, they/re all the 1/4000 scale, so YMMV.

Maybe I'm just not visualizing it properly (that magnitude...phew!) but could it maneuver from the front of the rear base?  I guess with turns you'd still have the same "drift" problem (just in the front instead of back) but it seems like it might handle a little more realistically.  

I have to say...I do keep coming back to this thread to admire the pics.  

yeah me too,

****... one day Iam sure...

though some guys at my local group actually IS crazy enough to buy one, he says.... next year.... :D

I have some interesting idea's for rules in our EPIC games for it,

must say those bases are really nicely done aswel 

Just curious, can we get a link to the model?  I'm curious to see what the price and shipping for this and other big ships is.

Sure, you can find out at Mel's shop, or at this link here.  Mentally gird yourself before looking at the price though. ;)

I am curios as to just how noticeable the print lines are on that Nebulon B and the Marauder corvette. Also how durable are the fidly bits that stick out/off of the superstructure?

Can't comment on the Marauder, but the print lines/graininess on the Nebulon B is barely noticeable at all, even though it's only available in WSF.  Both of these issues tend to show up more on curved surfaces and areas of intricate detail, but on flat panels and large surface areas it's much less of a worry.  I'll try to take some close ups when I can.

Durability - it survived transit perfectly fine, I've had one or two little bits break off since (due to my own fault), but the design is solid and it should be fine if you treat it with care and don't accidentally bash the antennae on the wall like I did.  

The WSF material is pretty resilient as a whole, as I found out trying to drill holes in the front and aft sections when building the base.  Mel, you would not believe how much supporting powder came pouring out...

Edited by FTS Gecko

Just curious, can we get a link to the model?  I'm curious to see what the price and shipping for this and other big ships is.

Sure, you can find out at Mel's shop, or at this link here.  Mentally gird yourself before looking at the price though. ;)

I am curios as to just how noticeable the print lines are on that Nebulon B and the Marauder corvette. Also how durable are the fidly bits that stick out/off of the superstructure?

Can't comment on the Marauder, but the print lines/graininess on the Nebulon B is barely noticeable at all, even though it's only available in WSF.  Both of these issues tend to show up more on curved surfaces and areas of intricate detail, but on flat panels and large surface areas it's much less of a worry.  I'll try to take some close ups when I can.

Durability - it survived transit perfectly fine, I've had one or two little bits break off since (due to my own fault), but the design is solid and it should be fine if you treat it with care and don't accidentally bash the antennae on the wall like I did.  

The WSF material is pretty resilient as a whole, as I found out trying to drill holes in the front and aft sections when building the base.  Mel, you would not believe how much supporting powder came pouring out...

They are definitely pricey, but unless FFG comes out with the models this is the next best option besides scratch building.  In addition, the detail looks excellent.

Mel, you would not believe how much supporting powder came pouring out...

I know :D for some weird reason I try to save all the powder that I take out of my models, kinda like a trophy. If someone came to my house they will find lots of bags with white powder in them and believe im a cocaine addict :D

I know :D for some weird reason I try to save all the powder that I take out of my models, kinda like a trophy. If someone came to my house they will find lots of bags with white powder in them and believe im a cocaine addict :D

It was pretty funny how I cleared it out, in the end.

By the point I drilled the holes, I'd already connected the two halves of the model together (I ran two square acrylic rods through the length of the spar and used epoxy to glue them in place).  So when the powder started coming out I couldn't figure out how to get rid of it all.

I ended up taking it into the bathroom and running cold water through the drill hole in the fore section until it filled up, at which point it started fountaining out of the drill hole in the aft section!

The mess, you would not believe.

Yeah, sorry about the price. Shapeways changed the pricing system a while back and made it double its price. Everyone who bought it did it before that.

Those are really cool pictures FTS Gecko, you are pretty much my unofficial publicist :D

You might be able to sell it at a more reasonable price if you have a high-quality master printed, then make resin copies for sale. All i can say is that - after seeing it painted - I sooooo want it. The Nebulon-B is one of my favorite sci-fi ships.

Edited by Kepora

You might be able to sell it at a more reasonable price if you have a high-quality master printed, then make resin copies for sale. All i can say is that - after seeing it painted - I sooooo want it. The Nebulon-B is one of my favorite sci-fi ships.

What he said, Mel. Cuz I NEED ONE NOW but I am too poor to spend that much on one model. 

Looks phenomenal, but expensive...Two words:  3D Printer.  In any event, how does it play?  My experience is that games with over 200 pts/squadron are slow and take forever.

Have yet to come up with a full set of homebrew rules for it, although I've got a couple of ideas.  It makes for a pretty hilarious piece of terrain on the board though (the other fun use of epic scale ships).

I've played a couple Epic scale games and they didn't take too long, although I imagine if you're fitting as many ships in as possible it could drag out a bit.  I think once the Raider arrives though and you can get a capital ship on either side of the board Epic will start to come into it's own.

What he said, Mel. Cuz I NEED ONE NOW but I am too poor to spend that much on one model. 

+1 for the resin cast idea!