Sign in to follow this  
Atom4geVampire

AtomAgeVampire's random questions

Ok, more on this.

If the current quest is the Interlude (which is considered and Act I) quest, can the overlord play a rumor card like Famine and Strife that says 'play this card during the travel phase of any act I quest'?

And if he can, does the 'If you have a rumor quest of the current act, you must play it now' override the 'You cannot play this card when the Interlude is an available quest' of Burning Harvest for example?

You can play a rumor card which relates to the travel step of any act I quest on the way to the interlude destination. Must is a really strong word and should prioritize over any other clause. It formally forbids you from doing anything other than the related statement. Therefore Burning Harvest must be played if it is the only rumor quest on your hand.

Funkfried nailed the first part- I disagree with the second part of his answer, though. While I concur that 'must' is clear, it is preceded by 'if.' I would think that the text on burning harvest makes it an illegitimate target of that effect...

ALTHOUGH, literally while writing that response, it occurs to me that the exact qualifier is "...while the Interlude is an availible quest" and that may not be true while you are on your way to the interlude. Maybe it is playable? FFG might need to be asked this one.

In any case, the OL couldn't play more than one card this way, even if maybe it is valid to play one.

Official answer:

“You cannot play this card…” overrides “If you have a rumor quest of the current act, you must play it now.” Yes, it is correct that any amount of rumor quests can be chosen before the Interlude, even if that amount is 0.

Thanks for playing,

Kara Centell-Dunk
Game Developer
Fantasy Flight Games

The last part is in reply to the following question: "Also, it is correct that since the following sentence was removed from the rules according to the errata: "If one or more Act I Quest cards are still in play immediately before playing the Interlude, the heroes must choose one of them to attempt (before proceeding to the Interlude)." that now any amount of rumors quests can be played before the interlude, as long as they are in play?"

Got a few more questions (more will follow)

Can a mimic card be played when a hero is in a secret room and he searches a challenge token. I assume he can because he still performs a search action.

Can the overlord discard the Volucrix Reaver from the secret room as he can with the other monsters that can spawn their from challenge tokens?

If he can, what happens to the challenge token, it is immediately searched?

In HoB - Dead or Drowning (I think, don't have my quest guide with me) there are villagers represented by their token. These block line of sight and movement.

Nowhere in the quest rules is it stated that they can be attacked. They can only be converted by Zombies. 

So, it is correct that some of the overlords reinforcements can be trapped behind them in this fashion: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4fvh117cpkkpbvm/2016-03-13%2018.56.43.jpg?dl=0 correct?

In HoB - Piercing darkness (I think, don't have my quest guide with me) in the first encounter, there are 3 unique spaces on one of the tiles that counts as a watchtower, where goblin archers can spawn.

The quest rules state (if I recall correctly) that no figure can move into those unique spaces. But can the Geomancer spawn 3 stones on those spaces (not move into the spaces) and that way block all of the goblin reinforcements?

Edited by Atom4geVampire

1) I think that mimic question is in the FAQ, and I tjink the answer is no. My memory is hazy.

2) Villagers don't blocl movement LOS unless quest rules say they do (either explicitly or by saying they follow rules for something which does, like a figure.)

3) While that is technically not "moving into" I'd wager 25g (may be paid in the form of a health potion) that the loophole is unintentional, and should not be exploited. That is, I would house rule "no".

Edited by Zaltyre

For 2, (again not 100% sure) I think the quest rules state that the normal villagers should be treated as friendly figures by the heroes, while corrupted villagers should be treated by monsters as friendly monsters.

So, in that case I believe normal citizens should block movement for monsters I believe. (I'll check the quest rules this evening, but I kept forgetting to ask these questions when I did have it with me. :) )

2) Checked my quest guide- it outlines that the refugees and infected refugees both block movement and LOS.

However, refugees are friendly to heroes (heroes can move through them) and infected are friendly to monsters (monsters can move through them. 

Also, if a giant gets trapped as you show and for whatever reason the zombies can't get there (hard to imagine since zombies reinforce fully after EVERY PLAYER'S TURN, the NEXT giant will spawn beyond the refugees in the nearest empty space and be free.

Edited by Zaltyre

So, it is correct then that 1 huge (like the giant), 2 medium or 4 small reinforcements could be blocked this way, since the villagers can't be killed, only converted by a zombie if it ever manages to get there.

By the way, can't find 1) in the FAQ, or did you mean the unofficial one on BGG?

Edited by Atom4geVampire

So, it is correct that some of the overlords reinforcements can be trapped behind them in this fashion: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4fvh117cpkkpbvm/2016-03-13%2018.56.43.jpg?dl=0 correct?

I think the most important issue is being overlooked here ...

Why is there a d12 die being used while playing D2e?  I mean, I just have to know ...  :P  :D  :lol:

Edited by any2cards

I think the most important issue is being overlooked here ...

Why is their a d12 die being used while playing D2e?  I mean, I just have to know ...  :P  :D  :lol:

I use mines to track health, its better than tokens :P

Health counters :)

6 sided for small monsters, 12 sided for larger monsters, 12+ sided for lieutenants

Tch tch tch ... not playing D2e by the rules, and violating all sense of good aesthetics ... for shame !  :P

You do know that not only will I have to report you to the gaming fashion police, but I will have to submit a request on d2etracker asking for a feature allowing me to use various d## dice for tracking health ... ROTFLMFAO !

Ok, so we are about to start a new campaign (mists of bilehall) and one of the heroes will be playing Zyla
Her ability is:

You may enter blocked spaces and ignore the effects of terrain while moving. You cannot end your movement in a blocked space.

I just want to make sure how this affects every terrain type.

So she can move through obstacles and monsters right?

And she doesn't need to test for crumbling terrain either?

She never gets damage from lava/hazard spaces, unless she ends her turn in one (and thus is defeated)

She can move over elevation and doesn't care about water spaces.

She also ignores pit spaces, but what if she ends her movement in a pit space, can she ignore it and just move out of it without an action on the next movement?

When she start a move action in a sludge space, is her speed 1, or does she ignore this effect as well?

Then, what do you guys think: 

So far the heroes have decided on Zyla as Necromancer and Sir Valadir as Skirmisher, the other two are still undecided.

Is Basic II an option? Those two heroes' attributes are a bit high for some of the specific tests that the cards require, but the possibility of Grease trapping Zyla into a hazard space on her second action is so alluring. (And I like the Mimic)

I was thinking of making use of the Solidarity universal card to counter their high attributes, but that strategy is more prone to chance than just going for the certainty of Basic I

Edited by Atom4geVampire

Ok, so we are about to start a new campaign (mists of bilehall) and one of the heroes will be playing Zyla

Her ability is:

You may enter blocked spaces and ignore the effects of terrain while moving. You cannot end your movement in a blocked space.

I just want to make sure how this affects every terrain type.

So she can move through obstacles and monsters right? Yes, those are considered blocked spaces she may ignore

And she doesn't need to test for crumbling terrain either? No, I think this because other figures with the Fly ability are still affected by things like trap tokens. The same logic would apply to crumbling terrain. Namely that you are in fact still entering that space. EDIT: But I am not sure on this one and after a second thought I think she can ignore the test for crumbling terrain actually...

She never gets damage from lava/hazard spaces, unless she ends her turn in one (and thus is defeated) Yes, the ability to ignore terrain only triggers upon entering/moving.

She can move over elevation and doesn't care about water spaces. Yes, and yes. I believe this is also mentioned in the rulebooks that cover elavation but I am not sure.

She also ignores pit spaces, but what if she ends her movement in a pit space, can she ignore it and just move out of it without an action on the next movement? I don't think so. She can fly over pit spaces, but just like lava, that only works when she is entering. Upon ending a turn in one, the effects are still applied.

When she start a move action in a sludge space, is her speed 1, or does she ignore this effect as well? Same as above, she doesn't enter the space, so she must suffer the penalty.

Then, what do you guys think: 

So far the heroes have decided on Zyla as Necromancer and Sir Valadir as Skirmisher, the other two are still undecided.

Is Basic II an option? Those two heroes' attributes are a bit high for some of the specific tests that the cards require, but the possibility of Grease trapping Zyla into a hazard space on her second action is so alluring. (And I like the Mimic)

I was thinking of making use of the Solidarity universal card to counter their high attributes, but that strategy is more prone to chance than just going for the certainty of Basic I

The key here is the 'while moving' part. I wrote my opinion on each question in red directly in the quote.

For the Basic II strategy, if the heroes already have high attributes, it will be a very risky strategy. Perfectly cool if you like that:) And Mimic is absolutely smashing!

Edited by Ceasarsalad101

Rule of thumb- if the effect is based on "entering" (moving into) the terrain, she doesn't care. If it is based on "while in" (being in at a certain time) the terrain, she must follow those rules.

Just like she is subject to ending her turn in lava, she is subject to starting her turn in sludge. I don't think she would have to test crumbling terrain.

I will agree with all of the answers above, even the one of crumbling terrain. In the rule book it says that "this expansion introduces a new type of terrain token", featuring the word terrain, thus Zyla effect will apply. That’s what I think.

As for the other topic. I played recently MoB, even though it was solo (because I always play a new expansion I buy solo before playing with a group to familiarize with it) I can tell that I found Basic II a strong deck in the beginning, but it fell in the last quests.

My campaign (as you can see it in your site) had for heroes:

Rindel – Apothecary.

Corbin – Knight.

Lindel – Shadow Walker.

Jaes the Exile – Runemaster

Plot deck: Inner Corruption – Rylan

Basic II

The highlights of Basic II are obviously Mimic and Befuddle, but also, especially in MoB I would say Blinding Speed and Overwelm. Mental Error was useful for me due to Corbin defending his teamates everytime. The strategy in the heroes side was to protect Rindel from getting KO, and avoiding getting locked by the tainted effect, Corbin always protecting him with “defend”, therefore, I always tried to either to move him with Lash or something, or putting the master broodwalker (that’s why Blinding Speed was for), or using howl with barguest to eat the stamina of Corbin (Befuddle to ensure the failure) and then prosecute with the plan (killing the healer). But yeah, due to Lindel being a free man, running all over the map, passing any attribute test… heroes manage to obtain good money. He seemed unstoppable until, the luck was on my side. If he gets the taint card of “new orders” or “grey decay” you have better chances to Befuddle him, thus making him useless.

Additionally, what really helped me with Corbin was doom/terrify combo. That’s why I chose Rylan as agent, due to subdue.

The problem was when they bought the “Rune Plate” for Jaes and “Iron Boots” for Lindel, and Corbin found the “Corpsebug Brooch”. Then, they were really unstoppable. Corbin with 17 hp, Jaes with 16, and Lindel and Rindel with 12 hp, with the possibility of two of the heroes been immune to hazards. Anyway, what I can tell you is that I think Basic I is better if you plan for a better TPK or a more aggresive encounter (I rolled too many Xs when I didn't need them hahaha). 

Edited by Volkren

My Zyla player just asked me if he can run through the objective tokens that count as obstacles/blocked spaces in the first quest of Mists of Bilehall? (The ones the heroes need to pass a test for to remove to get to the exit)

Also, other than that, it seems pretty easy for the overlord? Seems to me I can leave the broodwalker on the cave for 1 turn, get my reanimates spawned, then run the broodwalker to the spider lair with the 2 movement points he gets + 2 move actions. (should only take 2 turns, while reanimates block the hallway) and then the heroes start getting 4 damage every turn. Or am I missing something?

Atom,

not sure if this was addressed before: in case the heroes defeat more than 1 corrupted citizen, there is no option to track that change. Perhaps that is not that difficult to implement. Minor thing, no priority by any means. 

-wrong thread indeed-

Edited by Scharpes

Atom,

not sure if this was addressed before: in case the heroes defeat more than 1 corrupted citizen, there is no option to track that change. Perhaps that is not that difficult to implement. Minor thing, no priority by any means. 

Wrong thread man ;) (also, I thought only one corrupt citizen at a time was allowed?)

Atom,

Wrong thread man ;) (also, I thought only one corrupt citizen at a time was allowed?)

There are only one changeling leader. So one corrupted Citizen per quest. 

Atom,

:mellow:  ups. 

I interpreted "at a time" as being on the board at the same time, not limited once per quest...?