Sign in to follow this  
Jaffamaster

Y-Wing repaint and conversion

That's some impressive work.

I haven't heard of this at all. You prompted me to do some Wikia reading.

Y-wings used during the Galactic Civil War were stripped-down, with most exterior armor plating having been removed.

This kinda blows my mind. I haven't watched any Clone Wars, but now I think I need to in order to understand the universe better.

Edited by Explosive Ewok

Y-wings used during the Galactic Civil War were stripped-down, with most exterior armor plating having been removed.

This kinda blows my mind. I haven't watched any Clone Wars, but now I think I need to in order to understand the universe better.

Ditto to all of this! I didnt know about the Y-wings being stripped down either.

Thank you all for the feedback! If I get around to it, I may try doing panel lines on this model since I'm moving onto another miniature project, the E-Wing. I'll look into getting a scribing tool, since I kept cutting the plastic when I tried before.

Ditto to all of this! I didnt know about the Y-wings being stripped down either.

It's more the Rebels ended up leaving off the aesthetic panelling on them: Y-wings are so maintenance intensive, especially the old worn out Rebel BTL-S3s and BTL-A4s (the Clone Wars one is an older model called the BTL-B) that they ended up just leaving them off.

VWCp2lm.jpg

I really like that, impressive work. It gives me the partially stripped down feel between the clone wars and a new hope.

Might steel this idea :)

Not bad at all! If you had included some panel lines on the fairing/armour it would have looked even better, basically it would look more in tune with the cockpit area.

Absolutely excellent! Way better than the Clone Wars version.

It's more the Rebels ended up leaving off the aesthetic panelling on them: Y-wings are so maintenance intensive, especially the old worn out Rebel BTL-S3s and BTL-A4s (the Clone Wars one is an older model called the BTL-B) that they ended up just leaving them off.

VWCp2lm.jpg

I really like the design.  Between yours and the pictured Y-wing above, it would give the various third party designers/manufacturers inspiration to make the fighters for the game.

Heck, the armored ones can represent the hull/shield upgrades.

I really like that, impressive work. It gives me the partially stripped down feel between the clone wars and a new hope.

Might steel this idea :)

Not bad at all! If you had included some panel lines on the fairing/armour it would have looked even better, basically it would look more in tune with the cockpit area.

Absolutely excellent! Way better than the Clone Wars version.

VWCp2lm.jpg

I really like the design.  Between yours and the pictured Y-wing above, it would give the various third party designers/manufacturers inspiration to make the fighters for the game.

Heck, the armored ones can represent the hull/shield upgrades.

Oh if someone made a model like that image? I'd buy a handful in a heartbeat!

I'm trying my hand at being a necromancer of old forum posts, and I thought here would be as good of any place to start. Almost two years or so ago I modified another Y-Wing for more of a "snubfighter" look, but with an increased bomb load, and streamlined bomb/thermal detonator dispensers. On the bench I'm planning on converting another one into a courier that was seen in the Star Wars comics.

819737_sm-1%252F270%20Scale%2C%20Star%20

819740_sm-1%252F270%20Scale%2C%20Star%20

819745_sm-.jpeg

819748_sm-.jpeg

A comparison shot between the stock and my modification:

819742_sm-1%252F270%20Scale%2C%20Star%20

819741_sm-1%252F270%20Scale%2C%20Star%20