Sign in to follow this  
Crabbok

Storing fully assembled ships

So I know there have been multiple threads related to storing your Armada stuff, but nothing I could ever find satisfied my desire.  You see, One of the things that I've started to grow tired of in X-Wing, was setting up ships, bases, finding the right cardboard insert for Howlrunner, amidst 50 TIE fighter inserts, plus 300 other inserts.  For this game, I want to store all of my ships FULLY ASSEMBLED.  For awhile I had been keeping stuff in the core set boxes, which works well enough, but it isn't anywhere near a long term solution.  

So I found these tubs / bins at Target and figured they were the right size, but I was going to have to do a little modification to them to get them right where I wanted.   For starters, the bottoms were curved and slick, and I wanted my ships to stay put.   I cut some plywood and sanded/stained it to fit the tubs and that gave me a really nice looking bottom.  Now I have the option of doing some kind of foam-board insert, or just leaving them the way they are at the moment. I am using a single tackle box type case for dice/tokens, etc.   But for my ships and squadrons this is ideal for me.  

I really like this solution for a number of reasons.  

1. I get a very quick setup and tear down for games. 
  2. I have a bunch of extra room for future waves.
  3. I get to actually SEE my ships on the shelf, since the sides are transparent!

Here are some pics!

Here are both bins with my token/dice drawer on top. 

IMG_1677.jpg

Here is a look at the Rebel bin:

IMG_1678.jpg

Here is a look at the Imperial Bin.  

IMG_1679.jpg

Uploading a video to my channel taking a closer look at them.  

Curious if everyone else is happier simply breaking their models down in order to have a more traditional type storage method.  

The beginning isn't terribly helpful, but check out this video about the new GW storage cases. The new "wavy" storage foam would really do well with Armada ships. Of course, price will stop a lot of folks, but that's the norm with GW sadly. 

Those GW cases are pretty cool!  No idea how much they cost but if it's GW I'm guessing $35,000 - $40,000.

Oh nice, you found them on sale?

This is so true.

I sort of laughed, and I sort of cried, because it is that level of truth. 

Curious if everyone else is happier simply breaking their models down in order to have a more traditional type storage method.  

I am like-minded when it comes to storage. I hate wasting vertical space, though, so I personally wouldn't have selected containers as tall as yours (or at least not until I had enough towering capital ships to warrant an entire container of their own). Seeing all those squadrons taking up less than half the height of the container would just frenzy me into finding two containers half as tall that could hold twice the total squadron strength.

If it helps give any insight into my particular brand of psychosis, I'm a big fan of this tumblr: http://thingsfittingperfectlyintothings.tumblr.com/

I use containers from this company: http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/usa/

Most of the different area sizes come in different heights, which is nice. I tend to stick to area dimensions that allow me to pack a single fleet into one or two boxes, making it easy to transport everything I need for a single game without resorting to yet another size/brand of container.

I cut some plywood and sanded/stained it to fit the tubs and that gave me a really nice looking bottom.

That's really all it took? You must have great DNA. I'm stuck doing thousands of squats and lunges...

I cut some plywood and sanded/stained it to fit the tubs and that gave me a really nice looking bottom.

That's really all it took? You must have great DNA. I'm stuck doing thousands of squats and lunges...

You should have seen it before the sanding.   Rough and splinterry. 

You should have seen it before the sanding.   Rough and splinterry.

I really don't want to know how you stained your bottom.