Sign in to follow this  
Tallgeese

Aldershot Release Event!!!

Tallgeese said:

Ok, as more than one person has asked, one of the prizes is a Warhammer: Invasion Binder, we are the only place in the UK to have received them......happy.gif

Could you explain it for the non-english people what a binder in cardgame connection is? I dont think you are talking about some chemical parts. :)

ChaosChild said:

So how did things go? Details people!

There were about 8 of us. I was the Spanish guy who came late (thus missing a game).

I played 4 times, using a Dwarf deck that had about 60-64 cards (as I modified slightly the deck between plays) in it.

I won the first 2 matches and lost the last 2.

In the first one my Dwarf forces were against the servants of Chaos (played by a guy with long hair, who also plays Warhammer miniatures), and I did a good job obliterating them. I also realised how bad corruption can become, as your units are sitting there, unable to either defend or attack, and you can only restore one unit at the beginning of your turn.

The second match was against a guy playing Orcs. He seemed to know all the cards really well, and was fast both in play (no AP here), and in the field, as their orcs were really fast hitters. This can be very devastating for the Dwarves, as they really need a lot of resources' income to be able to play some of the good units. I think a good tactic is to start placing buildings/units in both your kingdom and quest zones, even if that means that the battlefield gets some damage. Units with low cost, like 'Defender of the hold', or that Empire unit that is cost 0 (but needs an Empire icon) and has defense 3 are good to add to your deck, to help protect the battlefield. Once you have some 'contested fortress', and 'keystone forge' (that allows you to get rid of 1 damage at the start of your turn), and plenty of resources, your dwarves will thrive.

The third match saw the resurgence of Orcs (this time played by a guy in a motorbiker's suit. Yeah, I'm really bad at names). The battle was close, but at the end he managed to inflict a few damage and burn my quest zone.

The fourth match was my Dwarves against their cousins, Dwarves too (a guy from London). This time, I admit total defeat, as I think he effectively  had his city free of damage at the end of the game.

As a final note, no one seemed to be playing Empire, and we all got a nice W:I binder.

All in all, it was good to see some gentlemanly fierce competition, and I for one am looking forward to more plays of W:I.

Well Tearmat was round two in the above report [who else could be that fast despite the hangover?!?] and I was the final player mentioned in the report.

I played a dwarf deck as per the rule book - i.e. i took all the dwarf cards then added 3 High elf card & 7 neutral ones to make up the 50 card limit (i bought a new set of deck protectors to be sure i knew where the 50 limit was). I had intended to play chaos / orcs but then everyone else was playing destuction (mainly Orcs) so i thought i should do something different; then when echtalion turned up there was another set of shorties running around.

I am glad i made the change - the stunties played really well. I won my first game [against Mark] which was a genuine surprise. Troll vomit nearly finished me off. In fact Troll vomit did finish me off in my second game - i left myself exposed with too little card draw so the destruction of all my units caused real issues.

After these games the hangover had cleared so i was thinking more clearly and managed to balance my card draw / resource draw engine better. That left me able to deal with most situations that came up and I dominated (well won but i feel better if I use the hyperbole) my last two games.

Net result was a good day of cards, helped of course by winning a few games. I am left relly excited about the game and the prospects for the future. IT seems a great little game that will play really quickly / dynamically and allow plenty of banter once all players get used to the cards / mechanics.

Big hand for Steve. Thanks for a cracking night on the tiles and putting on a release event (I promise to find a use for the binder...well...kind of gui%C3%B1o.gif)

jogo said:

Tallgeese said:

Ok, as more than one person has asked, one of the prizes is a Warhammer: Invasion Binder, we are the only place in the UK to have received them......happy.gif

Could you explain it for the non-english people what a binder in cardgame connection is? I dont think you are talking about some chemical parts. :)

Binder = card folder, in this context.

Sounds like the event went well. I'd like to say I wish I'd been there but frankly I had an absolute blast at Game. Lets just say I wish I could have done both. happy.gif

Hope to see people there on the 31st.