Sign in to follow this  
MTaylor

Question about the Saktek Repulsor Rifle

In Lords of Nal Hutta there's this repulsor rifle that seems to be the only non-Restricted Gunnery weapon so far in the game.  Which makes sense, as it's only a stun weapon, unlike a flamethrower or thermal detonator, you could legitimately say it was for self-defence.

Does anyone know where it comes from (some WEG product) or what it looks like?

I wish FFG would illustrate the odder weapons more - I know what a blaster pistol looks like but the weirder weapons need visuals, I think.

Anyway, the Repulsor gun uses Gunnery and not Ranged Heavy, so you'd assume it would be big, but it has encumbrance of only 3, smaller than a blaster rifle and the equivalent of a carbine. And it doesn't have cumbersome or anything.

So how would that actually look? Different enough from a Rifle to warrant another skill, but less bulky than a rifle?

A few of our pilot types have Gunnery but not Ranged Heavy, and fancied this weapon, but I'm at a loss to describe it.  

For those who might not know what they're talking about:

CypherGun.jpg

One can see how with the hip-fireing design, conventional rifle aiming skill has little to do with the operation of the weapon. Thus explaining the gunnery instead of the Ranged (heavy) despite the carbine-like size and convenient hand holds.

That actually makes sense guys, thanks. 

I know some of you are involved in the writing of these supplements and I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light onto the thinking behind making it a gunnery weapon.

I still wish we had illustrations of some of the more oddball weapons, though.