Sign in to follow this  
GrimmyV

Cool stuff that would be cheap for FFG to do

Ru/Rookie One in Rebel Tie Phantom. Generic pilot can be Rebel Spy.

Also rookie one in x-wing with the reverse of Luke's ability (convert one focus result to hit)

Han/Chewie in shuttle Tyderian. Generic pilot can be Rebel Assault team. Tyderian title (must be take) keeps Imperials from attacking until Tyderian attacks. Watch out for scum!

Biggs in Tie Fighter, generic can be Rebel Sympathizer.

Fel in x-wing

Vader and Stele in Tie Defender with different abilities. Stele can use shield tokens to boost and/or gain shield tokens with green maneuvers. Vader could fire lasers and ions/cannon/secondary weapon in same round (no idle time next turn like Corran Horn).

Tie Fighter titles like /gt that adds missile slot or /fc that adds target lock that can be passed to other ships

X-wing title that gives evade (stealth x) or torpedo that gives system slot (x-j?)

Astromech upgrade that gives crew slot

Scum versions of yt's, including smuggler versions of falcon and outrider. Scum transport. Imperial cr-90.

All bounty hunters as crew upgrades (mix and match!) and yes, IG-88 gets ABCD versions too.

No need to put out any ace sets/reprints (although blue tie fighter would be nice, and an x-wing painted as an obvious red 5/2/3/what ever). This could be an all cardboard upgrade. Don't even need new dials, but would be nice to include.

Anything else y'all want to see, pertaining to easy variants or flipping factions on existing ships?

no. I don't think this either a good idea or that FFG would or should consider them. This would completely unbalance the game.

I don't see new pilots for existing ships as unbalanced or bad for the game; FFG has a track record of doing this already (with the GR-75 and Raider, for example).   Frankly, I think the Defender would probably see more play if it had a wider variety of pilots with better abilities.  

Cross-faction ships might be a bit weird, you've got a point there.  I'm not a fan of that particular idea.  

You don't think a Rebel Tie Phantom is a bad idea? Or Biggs in a Tie Fighter? Or Vader in a defender? An Astromech that introduces Crew into an E-Wing?

The problem isn't new pilots for existing ships, it's moving pilots from one ship to another ship that's been proposed here, and then stealing from other factions to give abilities to ships that don't need them. Those are problems that create unbalance.

Jacob

You don't think a Rebel Tie Phantom is a bad idea? Or Biggs in a Tie Fighter? Or Vader in a defender? An Astromech that introduces Crew into an E-Wing?

The problem isn't new pilots for existing ships, it's moving pilots from one ship to another ship that's been proposed here, and then stealing from other factions to give abilities to ships that don't need them. Those are problems that create unbalance.

Jacob

Cross-faction ships might be a bit weird, you've got a point there.  I'm not a fan of that particular idea.  

Jacob

What makes you think the pilots would have the same ability?  I don't believe he said that.  In fact, one of our only instances of having two different cards for the same pilot (Boba Fett) has different abilities.

I think the idea that we will see more copies of pilots in different ships will happen eventually, since there is actually a lot of demand for it in a few specific cases. Corran Horn in an X-Wing for example.  Do I expect that he (or any of the others) will have the same ability? likely not, which is fine.  

I somewhat agree about the cross-faction ships, but I can see why it is desirable.  Being able to have the Tyderium is imo the biggest reason they might do it at some point.  I do think FFG has done a good job making the Scum Ys/Sprays/etc feel different from their Rebel/Imperial counterparts, so I would be open to it if they followed the same pattern.  I don;t expect it would cause a major balance problem if done right.

The key factor with Boba is that he's still in a Firespray, same with Kath.

Cross Faction ships are okay to a point, as long as they reflect a certain amount of reality. The Y's make sense, as do the Z-95, but a rebel Tie isn't an idea that makes sense. 

Jacob

I thought this thread would be about selling spare pegs and bases, or having the cards come pre-sleeved, or adding more website avatars.

But titles are good too.

How about an Ace Pilot title. Generic Ship Only. 0 points. Add an EPT slot to this ship if it doesn't already have one, then subtract the cost of the EPT equipped from your pilot skill.  15 point 0 pilot skill academy pilot predator swarm. <evil laugh>

I think pilots with alternate ships can be good, like Corran->X-Wing, Mareek->Defender(or Avenger damnit), possibly with new pilot skills. I do not think cross faction units of the iconic ships (TIEs, Xwings etc) is a good idea though. You lose part of the faction identity when you allow that.

As for shuttle Tydirium, that sounds better as a crazy scenario than a ship to release. That shuttle was used for a stealth mission (that did not fool Vader or Papa Palpatine) and not any sort of battle.

The factions need to stay different. S&V should be the only list with cross-faction ships available to them - and even they should come with a twist. Meaning: other pilots, other upgrades. A good example is the Z-95, where the Rebel version is a good bit different from the S&V one.

So no, please god, no.

The key factor with Boba is that he's still in a Firespray, same with Kath.

Cross Faction ships are okay to a point, as long as they reflect a certain amount of reality. The Y's make sense, as do the Z-95, but a rebel Tie isn't an idea that makes sense. 

Jacob

You forgot the HWK.

Seems to me that there's not much in the way of distinguishing characteristics between Scum and Rebels,it's the way you fly them that differentiates them. Rebels don't tend to blow up their own guys (Other than Biggs) and they aren't vengeful to enemy ships like Vader. THey don't even take prisoners to stress out others, or even use illegal hardware (despite Han and others obviously doing so in the fluff). Rebels and Scum use what they can get, with the empire using the best stuff possible. Scum is Basically Imperial mindset with Rebel ships.

But I do like the idea of using my suggested pilots and stuff in a campaign setting. FFG printing a nice campaign book with appropriate cardboard would liven up things outside he 100 pt tourneys and get a lot more casual gamers to play.

no. I don't think this either a good idea or that FFG would or should consider them. This would completely unbalance the game.

However, you can make your own house rules that would allow you to do any of the things you're contemplating.

Jacob

Way to break it to him gently.

I somewhat like the idea of cross-faction ships as we've already seen it happen for the Scum faction.  Although I know some will cry FOUL you could easily slip them into some larger expansion where they may show up primarily for scenarios but remain legal for basic use.  All you'd need is a pilot card and a base tile to give a ship a new purpose although because tiles are two sided you could see another alternative card.

I, too, would like to see more pilots for certain ships (Lambda, Y-Wing, maybe a couple A's and Squints), but I'm not inclined towards a multitude of cross-faction ships. Partly for a distinctive look for each faction, partly to encourage those potential slots to be filled by new designs.

As for shuttle Tydirium, that sounds better as a crazy scenario than a ship to release. That shuttle was used for a stealth mission (that did not fool Vader or Papa Palpatine) and not any sort of battle.

It's because they forgot their cardboard box.

I'd like to see the Tyderium. In my view, this would be a unique title that is usable only the generic pilot. It's only effect would be to allow Rebels to use the ship. The only issue would be how to release it. I doubt there'll ever be a shuttle repaint. Perhaps it could be a card given out to anyone who participates in a tournament? Keep it in the tournament packs for long enough and the secondary market will get flooded with enough that those who can't make it to tournaments will still be able to pick it up cheaply.

The other ideas here would create a lot of cross-faction ships and, in my opinion, that's not a good thing. One or two is fine, particularly in the case of the shuttle since it was in one of the OT films, but too many starts blurring the lines between the factions. There's already a fair amount of cross-over between Rebels and Scum. Any more and what's the point in them even being two separate factions?

I would like to see more Aces packs though, adding more pilots to existing ships, particularly those ships with only two unique pilots currently.

I would like to see a heartless card, scum only.    

Heartless (EPT)

Scum Only

1 Pt

Ignore Rebel Captive card and it's effects.

That would be good with fluff and a perfect card for the scum

Edited by eagletsi111

One more cross faction ship and I am done with X-Wing.

I am not happy they did a Third Faction or Most Wanted in the first place. I understand why and believe the implication was this was a one off product to bootstrap the Scum Faction.

Shuffle Pilots in a Faction fine, shuffle any more ships is where I draw the line.

You want chiewie piloting the shuttle write a scenario for it.

Edited by Rambler

I'd like to see the Tyderium. In my view, this would be a unique title that is usable only the generic pilot. It's only effect would be to allow Rebels to use the ship. The only issue would be how to release it. I doubt there'll ever be a shuttle repaint. Perhaps it could be a card given out to anyone who participates in a tournament? Keep it in the tournament packs for long enough and the secondary market will get flooded with enough that those who can't make it to tournaments will still be able to pick it up cheaply.

The other ideas here would create a lot of cross-faction ships and, in my opinion, that's not a good thing. One or two is fine, particularly in the case of the shuttle since it was in one of the OT films, but too many starts blurring the lines between the factions. There's already a fair amount of cross-over between Rebels and Scum. Any more and what's the point in them even being two separate factions?

I would like to see more Aces packs though, adding more pilots to existing ships, particularly those ships with only two unique pilots currently.

What would the filthy rebels gain by taking the shuttle other than getting access to an imperial ship? I don't like this idea...there needs to be as little crossfactioning as possible. The terrorists already have better options for large base crew utilizing ships...

And why should a tourney be the only way to distribute something like this? How many cards would be enough to create a secondary market and what makes you think people would a,risky sell them? Even if this idea were to happen, and I don't think it should, then would need to find a more inclusive less hamfisted way of getting it out there.

I know this might surprise alot of you but most xwing players don't play in even local tournies...why should tournament players get access to special abilities but the rest of the community be denied them? Thankfully they have not gone that way with their prize support...and I hope that continues.

I was actually thinking the Tyderian shuttle option for the rebels would be limited to just one shuttle in a list, because any shuttle pilots would be required to take the Tyderian title, with that title being unique. Also Han/chewie would not have the same abilities as they do on the falcon. Yeah it might work much better in a campaign setting.

I never knew that there was so much dislike for ships being in multiple factions, much less dislike for scum as a third faction. Oops!

Oh and he obligatory x-wing fix:

Rogue Leader title: each friendly x-wing has the same pilot ability as the leader. Unique. Cost 5?

Rogue squadron title: x-wing only, add barrel roll to action bar. Cost 1?

These could be included in a pack that gives us even more x-wing pilots like Zev or Dack. Corran. Doesn't have to be an aces pack, just an alternate x-wing expansion for 15 bucks with a new color scheme.

I like the spy idea but it would almost have to be a mission thing. Like you get a single cross faction ship but it starts with the opposing side. You still move it and all but you get like 1 round of free movement then it becomes a protection mission with no going out of bounds it would work like a ship bump but with a forced k-turn, because obviously ships can't go backwards (though that would be amazing and I love that idea), and last man standing takes the spy.

I do think it would be a good idea to add more cross-faction ships, providing they aren't made overly common (I just know someone will whine about anyone having this opinion without reading that part -.-). The rebels have been shown to be quite happy using imperial ships when the situation calls for it (the Tydirium being probably the most famous example), whilst other types of ship were used by multiple factions (the Corellian corvette being a classic example). At the end of the day, we already have cross-faction ships in the game, so it's merely a question of just how common FFG want them to be.

The trick would be in how to limit the usage of such vessels. I think such cross-faction ships can be broken down to 2 types:

- In common cross-faction usage: This situation is already dealt with in the game with the release of S&V. If FFG want to allow a ship to be used extensively by multiple factions, they can just print pilot cards (including generics) for both factions.

- Uncommon usage: This would cover situations such as the rebels (or scum) using captured tech such as Tydirium. There are 2 ways this could be dealt with - either titles or fresh pilot cards. Personally, I would prefer fresh pilot cards as being the more elegant solution, but that would be relatively unimportant compared to the issue that even as unique cards, you could include one of each pilot or title in your force (so multiple ships overall). The most elegant way around this I feel would to be to add a keyword to such cards, with a rule that you can only include one card with this keyword in your entire force.

As for the release of such cards? Personally, I think it would be pretty cool for such niche expansions being released as a card only expansion, but FFG would no doubt bundle it up with a couple of miniatues like they did with Most Wanted.

Han/Chewie in shuttle Tyderian. Generic pilot can be Rebel Assault team. Tyderian title (must be take) keeps Imperials from attacking until Tyderian attacks. Watch out for scum!

That title is never going to fly. Plunking down 1/3+ maybe of your 100 point list that cannot be attacked at all is stupidly unfair when you use it as a straight support ship that does nothing but pass off a focus or TL, used as a blocker, Tactical Jammer, etc.. Enhanced Scopes(or whatever the "your PS =0" card is) + APL? Go 1st, block, they slam into the shuttle and you attack without attacking and they can't do anything about it. Yeah that's fair. Then add in doing that in a tourny, never attacking with the shuttle so it's still there at the end and your opponents can never gets points for it is garbage.