Sign in to follow this  
darkfortunex

In what order to Crits resolve in?

So its a silly question but Ive gone over the rule reference book at-least a handful of times in totality and I still haven't noticed a pronounced way in which Crits are resolved.  I know that if you have two Crits only ONE of those Crits will actually have an effect, though additional crits still count as damage.  Seems strange but its the rules.  The question it thought, other then removing it or re-rolling it how do Crits factor into the way damage is removed or negated by Defensive tokens as well.

Basic question is this: Do Crits start at the beginning or end of the Damage pool?

Example.  Say you roll four Die, 3 Black, 1 Red.  An your Result is this:

Hit, Hit+Hit, Hit+Crit, Hit.

Now baring having a Die or two rerolled, or canceled how would the damage be resolved?

Does it go from Hits to Crit, ie:

Hit, Hit, Hit+Hit, Hit+Crit

- or the opposite?

Crit+Hit, Hit+Hit, Hit, Hit

Depending on the Order it would effect how abilities trigger and the way you resolve Defense tokens. If it starts from the front, then wouldn't Defense Tokens that reduce damage take care of Crits first (meaning no Critical effect would happen) then all other damage would be dealt as normal?  If its the Other way and Crits resolve last in the order then other then re-rolling the Crit one could not get rid of it unless they reduce the damage too zero.  Anyway this might be covered somewhere else that I'm simply over looking something in the rule books.

Anyway thank for the help!

Edited by darkfortunex

Seeing as I've never played X-Wing I dont know how I have an 'Itis'.  This question comes from reading the rules.  So thank you for that information.  I will go back and read it again. :huh:

Edited by darkfortunex

A critical counts as 1 damage for hitting shields and being halved by a brace. It doesn't matter the order of the dice.

Once your opponent has used there defense tokens you resolve the damage. If there was at least one critical hit you can resolve a critical effect. Brace doesn't remove dice from the pool, it just halves your damage during the resolve damage step. Damage is then applied to the shields. 

• Roll dice
  • Attacker modifies dice
  • Defender uses defense tokens
  • Resolve damage
    • Here is where you total damage (hits and crits)
    • Then halve it if there was a successful brace.
    • If there was a crit symbol on at least 1 dice you can also resolve a critical effect.
Edited by DWRR

Well, then, if you insist:
The critical effect opportunity from the crit symbol and the damage from the crit symbol are not linked in any way. They are different things. As long as the die that rolled a crit is not removed or rerolled, or the amount of damage is somehow reduced to zero, you will get to resolve a (one) critical effect. (the default critical effect also requires zero remaining shields or some way of bypassing shields. The default critical effect itself does not bypass shields.)

Also, effects that reduce the amount of damage do not remove dice. Only effects that remove dice remove dice. Only effects that reroll dice reroll dice. These are all separate things.

I think that covers all the bases. We shall see.

So let's say I take 4 hits and a crit.  The ship was already hit before and has taken and since repaired a crit.  The ship also has 2 shields facing the attacker.  I brace and reduce the 4 hits and a crit.  Does that reduce to 2 hits and a crit or three hits?  Will my ship take one hit or one crit.  I think it is one crit.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The attack example on p.16 of the rulebook demonstrates how damage and critical effects work.  the salient point is also mentioned on p.15 "If the attacker has rolled at least one critical (E) icon, the first damage card that the defender receives is dealt faceup."

stop thinking X-wing.  The critical effect simply means that if you receive damage cards, the first one is faceup.  so multiple crits dont matter, they simply add more damage.  

example:  attacker at long range rolls 3 red dice:  crit, hit, hit.

the defender spends his Evade token to cancel the crit die.  damage is totaled:  2.  The defender then uses Brace to reduce the total to 1.  no critical effect can be resolved since the die was cancelled by the Evade token.  The defender recieves 1 damage.  If he has no shields on the targeted hull zone, he receives 1 face-down damage card.

Edited by vyrago

So let's say I take 4 hits and a crit.  The ship was already hit before and has taken and since repaired a crit.  The ship also has 2 shields facing the attacker.  I brace and reduce the 4 hits and a crit.  Does that reduce to 2 hits and a crit or three hits?  Will my ship take one hit or one crit.  I think it is one crit.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The outcome is right, but the reasoning why is wrong.

You have a crit symbol left in the dicepool, after the dicepool modify-step is over. Thus you can resolve a crit effect. Then the damage is summed up: three hits plus two crits means 5 damage. Now brace is resolved, 2,5 damage, rounded to 3.

The first damage card from each attack, per turn or in the game?  This is where I'm not sure.

Per attack.

Edit: Two crits, not three

Edited by Jochmann

The first damage from each attack, per turn or in the game?  This is where I'm not sure.

Its the first damage card drawn as a result of that particular attack.

Thus, if you get a crit result die face against a ship, but only deal damage to its shield (and don't have any other crit effect options except the default), then the crit had no real effect.

A critical counts as 1 damage for hitting shields and being halved by a brace. It doesn't matter the order of the dice.

Once your opponent has used there defense tokens you resolve the damage. If there was at least one critical hit you can resolve a critical effect. Brace doesn't remove dice from the pool, it just halves your damage during the resolve damage step. Damage is then applied to the shields. 

• Roll dice
  • Attacker modifies dice
  • Resolve damage
    • If there was a crit symbol on at least 1 dice you can also resolve a critical effect.

This is actually not completely clear. The first half is right, but the second is confusing, where you have it listed. So, just to clarify:

From the RRG, step 5 of the attack (after defense tokens are spent) goes in this order

•Attacker resolves a crit effect

•Determine total damage

•Apply damage

The crit effect comes before totaling damage. And this can be important. For example assault concusion missiles will damage the defending zones before the defending ship starts taking damage from the actual damage from dice. Usually this is always a wash with ACM, but it has mattered once in my experience. Plus, I can see it mattering much more for future cards.

The entry in the RRG -

Resolve Damage: The attacker can resolve one of its
critical effects. Then the attacker determines the total
damage amount. Then the defending squadron or hull

zone suffers that total damage, one point at a time

Edited by olafpkyou

So if I surround a Vic I can get one crit from a Nebulon and one from a CVT if they both do a single hull hit during the turn correct?

What about fighter attacks?  I assume this is only for ships.

Another quick question just to make sure I understand everything right from rereading and explanations. If I get 2 Crits, on an attack.  I would only get ONE face up card, and a face down.  Rather then two face up cards, because you can only resolve one critical effect per attack, correct?

Another quick question just to make sure I understand everything right from rereading and explanations. If I get 2 Crits, on an attack.  I would only get ONE face up card, and a face down.  Rather then two face up cards, because you can only resolve one critical effect per attack, correct?

They count as 2 damage and you can resolve one critical effect.

• Roll dice
  • Attacker modifies dice
  • Resolve damage

This is actually not completely clear. The first half is right, but the second is confusing, where you have it listed. So, just to clarify:

From the RRG, step 5 of the attack (after defense tokens are spent) goes in this order

•Attacker resolves a crit effect

•Determine total damage

•Apply damage

The crit effect comes before totaling damage. And this can be important. For example assault concusion missiles will damage the defending zones before the defending ship starts taking damage from the actual damage from dice. Usually this is always a wash with ACM, but it has mattered once in my experience. Plus, I can see it mattering much more for future cards.

The entry in the RRG -

Resolve Damage: The attacker can resolve one of its
critical effects. Then the attacker determines the total
damage amount. Then the defending squadron or hull

zone suffers that total damage, one point at a time

Yup I miss-typed.

Just got the order wrong or to be more accurate I wasn't intending a specific order.

Mea Culpa.

Edited by DWRR

So if I surround a Vic I can get one crit from a Nebulon and one from a CVT if they both do a single hull hit during the turn correct?

Squadrons cannot cause damage or critical effects when they roll a critical hit on the dice, it is essentially another blank face.

Unless the squadron has the bomber trait or another special rule that allows it to.

The other thing to point out is that the standard critical effect is flipping the first damage card dealt by that attack.

There are plenty of other critical effects out there that you could choose to resolve instead.

Edited by DWRR

Correct. The number of crit symbols doesn't matter, as long as you have at least one. And this crit is not necessarily always an upside damage card, it may be, like with the ACM upgrade, more damage or something totally different.

Theoretically they can each inflict two crits, as they could each be firing with two facings at the VSD. It is one crit per attack, not per ship.

Squadrons can be able to inflict crits as well, they need the keyword bomber to do so, though.

Edited by Jochmann

Yes, unless some future card gives an effect that alters this.

Correct, each attack can only cause 1 Face Up Damage card from the dice roll (there are special upgrades that allow multiple face up damage cards).

Learn to Play p15 under 'Critical Effect'

You can also reference the Rules Reference booklet (also downloadable). You should read this all the way through, not just use it to look up specifics when needed. It hs a lot of clarifications and perhaps examples that may make a rule more clear to you (and me).

Attack p2

Critical Effects p4

Damage p4

The other thing to point out is that the standard critical effect is flipping the first damage card dealt by that attack.

There are plenty of other critical effects out there that you could choose to resolve instead.

Oh, so that's a good clarification I hadn't noticed/realised.  ACM essentially can/does replace the Standard critical effect?

So rather then dealing a Face Up card it deals one damage to Each adjacent hull zone.  An if there are no shields those zone, it would do two points of damage (facedown cards) to Hull Points.

Example:

Crit = 1 Damage + 2 from ACM

You would do 1 normal damage an 2 from ACM. The damage from the ACM can not be modified by Brace.  Or would you only do 2 damage, because resolving a crit from ACM means that Crit Damage doesn't count?