Sign in to follow this  
Cubanboy

Wave 3 and beyond

I am hoping they find a unique way to tackle the Immobilizer 418 and the Vindicator.

f1ad8d1e-17e7-490f-a1da-ca3fb1912b85_zps

de878fd8-30b8-4fe8-bfae-7eaa6ce37058_zps

Almost all of the fan made ships have two or more anti-fighter dice, but looking at the official relased ones not so common. And there are people saying tht they want ships with three anti-fighter dice am I missing something? That to me looks very overpowerful.

Most of the ships released to date are not equipped with anti-fighter weapons, or very few. Many of the fan made ships being tackled are well armed with quad lasers. Such as the Immobilizer armed with 20.

As a matter of fact, 3 of the 4 wave 2 ships coming have 2 anti-squadron dice.

Edited by Wes Janson

Well when they eventually port this system over to battlefleet gothic II, then they'll have plenty of ships to draw on.

Alas, Battlefleet Gothic. We hardly knew ye.

I got super nostalgic for BFG this morning while browsing Shapeways - found an Endeavor class light cruiser, which was a model I always coveted, but Citadel's molds warped the aquila prow and their version never got released.

It's expensive but I might have to pick a couple up. Someone talk me out of it!

Er... stop? Please? Think of the... of the... children?

Well when they eventually port this system over to battlefleet gothic II, then they'll have plenty of ships to draw on.

Alas, Battlefleet Gothic. We hardly knew ye.

I got super nostalgic for BFG this morning while browsing Shapeways - found an Endeavor class light cruiser, which was a model I always coveted, but Citadel's molds warped the aquila prow and their version never got released.

It's expensive but I might have to pick a couple up. Someone talk me out of it!

Er... stop? Please? Think of the... of the... children?

WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Most of the ships released to date are not equipped with anti-fighter weapons, or very few. Many of the fan made ships being tackled are well armed with quad lasers. Such as the Immobilizer armed with 20.

As a matter of fact, 3 of the 4 wave 2 ships coming have 2 anti-squadron dice.

Two anti-squadron dice are fine, but I have seen fan made ships with three or more anti-squadron dice. With anti-squadron dice getting to shot at every fighter in range, and most of my Empire fighters only have three health, being able to one shot all of my fighters (in theroy) to me is just to powerful.

The Lancer-class Frigate is pretty cool, but I'd be surprised if we see it. The Raider fills the anti-fighter roll for the empire. I suspect it was created specifically to replace the Lancer because I guess someone important didn't like?

I'm hoping they will try and bring a bit of diversity.

The Raider-class Corvette was originally created by FFG for an Imperial counterpart to the CR90 for X-Wing, as the Empire didn't have a preexisting warship that fit the bill.

Porting it over to Armada is only natural...though I'm a little surprised they're giving it missiles, as it doesn't have any in X-Wing. :rolleyes:

The Lancer-class Frigate is pretty cool, but I'd be surprised if we see it. The Raider fills the anti-fighter roll for the empire. I suspect it was created specifically to replace the Lancer because I guess someone important didn't like?

I think they could have used the Lancer or Tartan in X-Wing if it weren't for the fact that both models are two thirds longer than a CR-90 at 250 meters to the corvette's 150 which is why they weren't used in X-Wing.

In Armada the Lancers and Tartans are too over specialized to be much use. Great against fighters sure but they would probably only have one anti-ship dice per arc since they entire loadout is anti-fighter weapons.

Also, I don't mind more EU ships, but I think more than a full wave or two worth of them would be pushing the limit before the designs get too wacky or ships are just plain too big to not be comically sized down for the game. (that includes cannon stuff like the Executor too, as cool as it is) As much as I'd love more and more Armada ships I'd still prefer if they found a way to keep making new things without truly diving into the depths of the EU and dragging out too many of the uglier and little known ships.

Do you have some examples of those uglier and little known ships? I dunno, when I ask myself which ships I don't want to see (Lancer, Carrack), I find my adversity to those ships is not as bad as some of the low-effort TIE designs for X-Wing (TIE Oppressor, TIE Aggressor). I'd be pleasantly surprised with whatever they chose to use next in Armada wave because for the most part, I think I can agree with FFG's capital ship tastes. I won't expect to see really uninspired designs until wave 7...

But even though the TIE Punisher can't be helped, FFG still did a good effort to make it attractive in spite of being a derpy idea. Same thing with the Assault Frigate. I think whatever ships they decide to do, they will at least try to make the model aesthetically pleasing.

I was thinking you could re-think the Interdictor cruisers as some kind of electronic warfare ship. Maybe allow it to expend defensive tokens on behalf of other ships, or debuff enemy ships with one less dice or rerolls or something like that. You could even make it like a giant stick zone, with ships or squadrons passing within a certain distance being "snared" and suffering reduced movement or flipped defensive tokens.

Something like that anyway.

That Vindicator is far too good. It's a tougher, faster VSD2 for less points. And very few ships should ever have 2 blue antisquadron

I find a lot of the fan made ships are super broken, I do not remember were I saw it but saw several with three anti-squadron dice, and one with four. I think it will be the rare or powerful ships that have two anti-squadron dice of any color.

That Vindicator is far too good. It's a tougher, faster VSD2 for less points. And very few ships should ever have 2 blue antisquadron

I find a lot of the fan made ships are super broken, I do not remember were I saw it but saw several with three anti-squadron dice, and one with four. I think it will be the rare or powerful ships that have two anti-squadron dice of any color.

That is always a problem with homebrews, people create ingame versions of things they really like in the fluff, the books or whatever, so it rarelly comes out well balanced. I just felt reminded of that Descent card generator for example, man the forums were flooded with broken stuff and people were still arguing that "its not broken because my SUPERGUY1 has that one negative trait (which would have an effect in every 1000th game) to offset his superhuman awesomeness!" In general, if you are building sth as a homebrew because you want it to "fill a niche" in your fleet/army, just stop right there as you are doing it wrong. If you are a superfan of ship xy, ask somebody who is not a fan of it to play against it, and listen to his/her judgement. Better to have a homebrew thats only 90% that awesome as you wanted it to be than sticking to your op-ship that nobody wants to play against.

Anyway, is there a thread in these forums to collect homebrews? 

The Raider-class Corvette was originally created by FFG for an Imperial counterpart to the CR90 for X-Wing, as the Empire didn't have a preexisting warship that fit the bill.

Porting it over to Armada is only natural...though I'm a little surprised they're giving it missiles, as it doesn't have any in X-Wing. :rolleyes:

Well, the lancer is only 100 metres longer than the CR90... I mean they're already using a pretty messed up scaling system anyway right? Sure they could have put it in if they tried hard enough, but yeah I take your point.

My point was though, since they've billed it as an Anti-Fighter frigate and are importing it over to Armada (which you're right, only natural), it means that I doubt we'll now also see the Lancer, because the 'slot' has already been taken. At least until they decide to release another anti-fighter ship for both factions I guess.

That is always a problem with homebrews, people create ingame versions of things they really like in the fluff, the books or whatever, so it rarelly comes out well balanced. I just felt reminded of that Descent card generator for example, man the forums were flooded with broken stuff and people were still arguing that "its not broken because my SUPERGUY1 has that one negative trait (which would have an effect in every 1000th game) to offset his superhuman awesomeness!" In general, if you are building sth as a homebrew because you want it to "fill a niche" in your fleet/army, just stop right there as you are doing it wrong. If you are a superfan of ship xy, ask somebody who is not a fan of it to play against it, and listen to his/her judgement. Better to have a homebrew thats only 90% that awesome as you wanted it to be than sticking to your op-ship that nobody wants to play against.

Totally true. It's generally a good idea to deliberately underpower and/or overcost custom units. Though it's often hard to know where to draw the line.

Anyway, is there a thread in these forums to collect homebrews?

There's a couple of threads in the Painting and Coversions sub-forums. Wes's customs are here, and mine are here.

For the record, since the subject has been brought up, I did give the uberspecialized Lancer Frigate three a/s dice... and not much else :)

The thematic portion of the game is crying out for a bunch of GR-75 Rebel Transports to fill my play mat, considering they were the most abundant capital ship in the Battle of Endor.   But rather than see them as an actual expansion ship, I'd prefer to see a 3 pack of them as sort of a Scenario type expansion, with the GR-75's being treated as objectives rather than ships. 

For the Empire, An interdictor seems likely, but I'm curious how it's unique ability would translate into the game.  There is no need to stop ships from going into hyperspace.   Maybe restricting a ship's movement somehow instead? 

For the Empire, An interdictor seems likely, but I'm curious how it's unique ability would translate into the game.  There is no need to stop ships from going into hyperspace.   Maybe restricting a ship's movement somehow instead? 

There's a lot of cool ways of implementing an Interdictor's abilities. A few of them have been proposed here.

The thematic portion of the game is crying out for a bunch of GR-75 Rebel Transports to fill my play mat, considering they were the most abundant capital ship in the Battle of Endor.   But rather than see them as an actual expansion ship, I'd prefer to see a 3 pack of them as sort of a Scenario type expansion, with the GR-75's being treated as objectives rather than ships. 

I really hope for a freighter and Transport expansion wave, purley for scenarios. I really hope the dont try to push freighters in beeing useful in a space battle with fancy abilites.

I really hope for a freighter and Transport expansion wave, purley for scenarios. I really hope the dont try to push freighters in beeing useful in a space battle with fancy abilites.

this probably won't happen while new objective markers/obstacles can be made out of flat cardboard and packaged with sold ships rather than trying to sell them seperately

this probably won't happen while new objective markers/obstacles can be made out of flat cardboard and packaged with sold ships rather than trying to sell them seperately

The way Attack wing went. However you can make more money with selling ships instead of card board markers.

I'm all for a lancer, maybe a carrier, something with like, squadron 6! Maybe imperial nebulon b frigates would be cool too (they were imperial ships stolen by the rebellion)

Here we are in other threads begging pleading to find out WHEN wave 2 is coming out, I mean it has the ISD and HomeOne...

That is the holy grail for this game heck with wave 3 for now!...

(Of course it's fine you guys speculate on wave 3 sorry guys just getting my geek war cry a whirl)