Sign in to follow this  
painter88

The scum

I'm a noob here. Been doing a lot of thinking about first build. I think I'm going to go with the scum and villainy faction. I've been doing some research and can't find a clear answer. But my first box will be core set for rule book and tokens and dice. Then I'm purchasing the most wanted to get me started. Now my question is. Can I use the X wing in core set but with a scum pilot? And can I use the slave as scum? I've looked up quit a bit but no clear answer. And are their any other ships villainy can use other than their faction?

There is no Scum X-Wing.

However, you are allowed to use models and whatnot from the other factions to replace the SAME model of scum.
Like, you can use the firespray from your Slave 1 expansion for Emon Azzameen, for example, but you can't use your X-Wing as a Z-95 Headhunter.

Yeah, if you're going to go scum and villainy primarily I would buy:

x1 Core Set like you said

x1 Most Wanted like you said

x2 Aggressor expansions (IG-88's ship)

x1 Star Viper expansion

x2 Scyck Interceptor expansions

That would give you enough scum to run some very competitive lists.  If you wanted to expand into the other two factions and also get the most out of your Most Wanted expansion I would also recommend:

x1 Slave 1 expansion

x1 HWK-290 expansion

These would allow you to use the extra scum pilot tiles from Most Wanted.  They would also give you some good basic upgrade cards to add to your fleet.

It's hard to play this game as ONLY Scum since they share a few ships with the two other factions.  Once wave 7 hits they will have more of their own exclusive ships.

With 1 core and 1 Most Wanted, these are the scum ships you can fly:

2x Z-95

1x Y-wing

If you buy the Slave I expansion, HWK-290 expansion, and a regular Y-wing, you will be able to fly each of those for the Scum faction since Most Wanted includes ship tokens, pilot cards, and maneuver dials for these three ships. So if you add these 3, you get

2x Z-95

2x Y-wing

1x Firespray

1x HWK-290

Now for some of my thoughts on purchasing options.

With the Aggressors, you could just buy two of them and have an out-of-the-box squad. If you're getting 2, I don't see the need for all the other stuff. If you're not planning on running dual Aggressors in the near future, don't buy two to start off. I went all-in when Scum came out and in hindsight, I should have just started with 2 Aggressors and a StarViper since I usually just fly 2 Aggressors with Autothrusters (from the StarViper pack).

If I were just starting, though, and if I weren't flying dual Aggressors, I'd begin by getting

1x Core

1x Most Wanted

1x Firespray

1x HWK-290

1x Y-wing*

For the next installment, I'd get

1x Scyk

1x StarViper

1x Aggressor (or 2 if you have the money)

Then I'd start thinking about what lists you like the best and purchase more copies of ships from there. But I'm a huge proponent of getting a single ship and trying it out before jumping in and buying multiples. But that's just me. 

*I know this Y-wing is a double of a ship that you're not sure you want to fly which goes against my advice at the end, but it would kill me to have that unused dial laying around, so I would get that Rebel Y at the start for the extra model. You may or may not agree with that.

Hi, welcome!

Scum only has 3 unique ships right now (Aggressor IG2000, Starviper and M3A "Scyck" interceptor), but also some ships allready seen in the other 2 factions. The Most Wanted expansion comes with a Scum paintjob Y-wing and 2 Z95's and the tokens and dials, but also with the tokens and dials for 3 extra ships (1 for another Y-wing, 1 Firespray/Slave and 1 HWK-290). The pack does not come with those 3 models though, so you need to buy those seperately in their rebel of imperial expansion pack.

Maybe you can find more information on the product information pages on this FFG website or the news sections.

ps you allways need a core set even if you dont want to play rebel or imperials.

Most of your question has, I think, been answered by the other posts. However, I'd like to share my Scum collection and thoughts.

You're correct to buy the core set. If you want to play the game, you have to have this (or know a friend who does).

Most Wanted will lay a foundation for a Scum squad but not enough to field a 100-point squad for competition (fully loaded, Core + Most Wanted gives you a 72-point Scum squad).

I purchased HWK-290 and Y-Wing expansions (one of each) in anticipation of the release of Scum. These ships open up a lot of options and share some elements, allowing you to get the most for your money (both ships have Turret upgrades and fly slowly).

I also picked up an IG-2000 Aggressor 'cause I think it's cool. It adds a lot of cool upgrades (including Bombs and Illicit that you can use on other ships from Most Wanted) and has a really gonzo maneuvering style.

However, if you want to capitalize on your Most Wanted purchase, add a Slave 1 Firespray to soak up the rest of the bonus material in the Most Wanted box. This is the next expansion on my list.

I haven't explored the M3-A yet- it doesn't excite me, and I suspect the upcoming Scum ships will be more interesting for me.

I hope this helps!

Get a Firespray and StarViper along with Most Wanted, that will give you plenty of points to center your squads around for starters.  A Y-Wing would be my next suggestion as you can use it with Rebels as well as Scum because you get 2 Y-Wing Scum dials in Most Wanted...  And dual Y-Wings with other ships are a popular build for scum.  If you want to try the aggressors, get 2 as they become drastically stronger when 2 fly together (I'd consider them 'advanced-level piloting' though, the single firing arc, fancy maneuvers, and large bases are not easy to master).  

Edited by KTreu42

Thank you guys for the advice like I stated earlier this Friday will be my first purchase . So I will get core set most wanted a slave 1 and a star viper and see how it goes from there

Yeah, if you're going to go scum and villainy primarily I would buy:

x1 Core Set like you said

x1 Most Wanted like you said

x2 Aggressor expansions (IG-88's ship)

x1 Star Viper expansion

x2 Scyck Interceptor expansions

That would give you enough scum to run some very competitive lists.  If you wanted to expand into the other two factions and also get the most out of your Most Wanted expansion I would also recommend:

x1 Slave 1 expansion

x1 HWK-290 expansion

These would allow you to use the extra scum pilot tiles from Most Wanted.  They would also give you some good basic upgrade cards to add to your fleet.

It's hard to play this game as ONLY Scum since they share a few ships with the two other factions.  Once wave 7 hits they will have more of their own exclusive ships.

I would agree with this but one amendment. A second copy of most wanted. There are lots of lists using 3-4 Y's and/or 3-4 z-95's.

Highly recommend going to you tube, looking up 'the cardboard dungeon'; guy did a three part series on Most Wanted, as well as breakdowns of individual ships. He also answers questions in the comments as well. I would start there.

Highly recommend going to you tube, looking up 'the cardboard dungeon'; guy did a three part series on Most Wanted, as well as breakdowns of individual ships. He also answers questions in the comments as well. I would start there.

This.

His reviews helped me decide several times on which ships I wanted next, they're great. I second that you check those out.

I will check that out tonight what I'm basing my faction on is you tube. I was think empire but friend of mine wants empire for sure and I was in between scum and empire so I want to go something different so I'm going to go scum. I was thinking 1 slave 2 head hunters and a bomber or 2

Also, if you haven't already done this, just google 'xwing squad builder' and you will find several sites that let you see EVERY possible ship, upgrade and pilot and lets you put them together in a nearly infinite number of ways to build your lists.

The only problem with list builders - and I say this tongue in cheek - is that you will get to see all the stuff you DON'T have and will want to immediately run to your local game store to buy the 4 sets you need to make the "perfect list."

The words "Its a trap" come to mind.   ;)

My personal favorite is Geodanr's "(Yet Another) X-Wing Miniatures Squad Builder"  https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/  but there are several other good ones.